Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:45:20 AM
713396 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  SINISTER (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SINISTER (2012)  (Read 2498 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: February 23, 2013, 01:59:10 PM »

I rarely go see horror movies at the theater; my wife can't stand them and honest, I don't get out to the movies that often anyway - I am a rental junkie and have been for years.   But when I saw the trailers for this one last fall I was tempted!  It came out on video this week and I rented it yesterday; this morning my daughters and I watched it.

All I can say is HOLY COW!
This is one of the scariest movies I have ever seen!  Ethan Hawk is brilliant as Ellison Oswalt, a washed-up
true crime writer who had one hit novel, then two flops.  He is desperately trying to rekindle a failed career,
so he moves his family to a community where a horrific, unsolved murder and missing child case have left
the locals stunned and puzzled.  But - here is the kicker - without telling his wife, he moves the family INTO
the actual home where the victims lived!

Not long after, he finds a box of 8mm films in the basement.  When he puts the first one on, he sees to his shock
that it is the actual video of the family's murder, filmed by parties unknown!  But then, as he plays the others, he
sees that they, too, are all videos of families being murdered by different means - and in each case, as he investigates
he finds that one of the families children disappeared the night the rest were killed.   And, as he carefully examines
the movies, he finds a bizarre face in each video . . . the same face.

How are they related?  Who is the killer?  Is he human?  And is he now after the Oswalt family?

Man, this was EXCELLENT!  I am a veteran horror movie fan, and I still loved it.  My daughters are both 18
and they literally screamed at the final jump scare!  After a long dry run, horror film makers are finally
beginning to turn out creepy original films again.

This one is HIGHLY recommended! Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:37:00 AM »

Indy, I normally love your recommendations, but I'm going to have to pass on this one.  If it's as good as you say, it means it will scare the bejeezus out of me and I will have nightmares about it.  Seriously.  I'm fascinated by the trailer and it looks really good, but I am wary of what it will do to my little mind!

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 12:25:29 AM »

All I can say is HOLY COW!
This is one of the scariest movies I have ever seen!

This one is HIGHLY recommended! Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

Totally agree!   Thumbup

Turn off the lights when you watch this one to get some seriously sinister vibes.  The eerie music really helped set the tone.  It's almost surrealistic in parts.  There's a couple of BOO! scares but they're good ones.   Wink 

5/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 07:52:24 AM »

Okay you got me interested, I'll have to make a point of checking it out when the used DVD's get down to a couple of bucks or so.   TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »

As I mentioned in my topic on this, its rare that a big-budget horror film is genuinely scary; this is one rare example.

Frankly, it's the only reason I haven't boycotted Hollywood horror altogether.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  SINISTER (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.