Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:44:58 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Top 100 arcade games of all time! « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Author Topic: Top 100 arcade games of all time!  (Read 72253 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2013, 12:46:56 AM »

I don't think I can give this a number but there was a Japanese fighting game I played many years ago in the early 1990s. It was similar to Double Dragon and when your last life was lost, someone would shout at you in Japanese. I met someone a while later who was from there and I asked the meaning of the phrase. He blushed red enough to resemble a tomato and said that it was an incredibly rude thing to say.  Lookingup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2013, 07:57:38 AM »

I like the swearing in Q Bert
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »

I'm not sure what the fighting game is.. I know they say "IPPON!" in Samurai Shodown but that just means "point".  I might have to do a bit more research..
In the meantime:
98. PENGO (1982, Sega)
Great maze game where a penguin pushes blocks of ice at "Sno-bees" trying to sting him.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2013, 03:27:56 PM »

chaos- That was a cool pinball game.

96. Crystal Castles

anyone who plays roller games with their foot is a baddy!

I actually know this guy...this is Mark Alpiger, the former Crystal Castles champion who used to play with his foot. I personally witnessed this at Richie Knucklez arcade in New Jersey at the 2010 "Tron Off" where Donald Hayes defended his Tron title against David Cruz and if I remember right, Brian Wagner.   Alpiger is also in the documentaries King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters and Chasing Ghosts.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »

Why in the world does he play with his foot?
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »

99. What cannot be left out of the arcade?

The Arcade Legends, 130 classic arcades games in one. TongueOut

Nah, the real 99 is Gold Nugget. Here's a description of it:
Gold Nugget is a nostalgic mechanical gun game that is built with the original tooling that goes back to the 1920's! This gun game shoots BB's at mechanical targets to get a score with each hit. This game requires no electricity and very little maintenance! Suggested placement locations include FEC's, Pizza and Family Restaurants, Movie Theater Lobbies, Campground, Bowling Centers, Grocery and Discount Store, Laundromats, Arcades, Mall Locations, Redemption Sites, Amusement Parks, Malls, or just the family game room.

Features include:

Authentic, Classic Nostalgic BB Gun Cabinet Style
Oak Wood Cabinet With Gold-Plated Legs/Hardware
No Electricity Required - Very Low Maintenance
Rugged Cabinet Construction w/Tempered Safety Glass
Quarter Coin Standard, Can be set for any coinage

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:16:53 PM by El Misfit » Logged

yeah no.
retrorussell

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2013, 10:58:22 PM »

And I'll top it off:
100. HEAD-ON, 1979 Gremlin/SEGA
Classic and much-copied "eat the dots" game (before Pac-Man!) with cars.  Try not to let the other car ram you as you attempt to clear the screen.

If you guys like, submit an "honorable mentions" 100 list!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2013, 08:11:52 AM »

Game Over Twirling

please insert coin
retrorussell

« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2013, 02:37:10 PM »

Coin inserted!

Actually, I'm going to review the top 100 before moving on to honorable mentions:
(and I'll replace #68 because Star Wars was already chosen at 54, with BUBBLE BOBBLE!)
So..
1. Dig Dug 2. Marble Madness 3. Donkey Kong 4. Pac Man 5. Gorf 6. Pooyan 7. Galaga 8. Amidar 9. Elevator Action 10. Track & Field 11. Defender 12. Wonderboy In Monsterland 13. Golden Axe 14. Karate Champ 15. Pong 16. 10 Yard Fight 17. Hydro Thunder 18. Ms Pac Man 19. Mortal Kombat 20. Kid Niki 21. Rampage 22. Discs Of Tron 23. Final Fight 24. Gauntlet 25. WWF Wrestlefest 26. Street Fighter II 27. Operation Wolf 28. Cabal 29. Dragon's Lair 30. Zaxxon 31. Breakout 32. Big Event Golf 33. Punch-Out 34. Mr. Do 35. Rush 'N Attack 36. Centipede 37. Phoenix 38. Robotron 39. Jungle Hunt 40. Space Invaders 41. Asteroids 42. Spy Hunter 43. Tempest 44. Berzerk 45. Galaxian 46. Bubble Dome Hockey 47. Battlezone 48. Red Baron 49. Crazy Climber 50. Black Knight 51. Air Hockey 52. Kung Fu Master 53. Tron 54. Star Wars 55. Missile Command 56. Cruisin' 57. Yie Ar Kung Fu 58. Star Castle 59. King Of Swat 60. Qix 61. Joust 62. Burgertime 63. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 64. Sinistar 65. Moon Patrol 66. Time Pilot 67. Choplifter 68. Bubble Bobble 69. Xain'd Sleena 70. Altered Beast 71. Gyruss 72. Venture 73. Rally X 74. Ninja Gaiden 75. Shinobi 76. Gals Panic 77. Empire City 1931 78. Sea Wolf 79. Clown Pinball 80. Donkey Kong Jr. 81. Crazy Taxi 82. Cadillacs & Dinosaurs 83. Space Wars 84. QBert 85. Scramble 86. Omega Race 87. Frogger 88. Circus Charlie 89. Tales of Arabian Nights 90. Fatal Fury Special 91. Pinball Action 92. Blackout 93. Xevious 94. Twilight Zone Pinball 95. Skee Ball 96. Crystal Castles 97. Astro Blaster 98. Pengo 99. Gold Nugget 100. Head On

retrorussell

« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »

The first honorable mention:
1. MOUSE TRAP (1981, Exidy)
Great maze game where you can change from a mouse (being attacked by cats) into a dog (who can turn the tables on the cats)!  Avoid the hawk, which can kill either form.

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2013, 07:15:09 PM »

Why in the world does he play with his foot?

He used to do that to show off.  He even defended his Crystal Castles record with his foot one time! The guy is just that odd, but that talented too.

Mark is a little tiny guy with a big attitude, and he takes a bit of getting used to.
He's somewhat independent wealthy as a consultant and is quite able to cut his own rules.
He has his own website at www.classicarcadegaming.com and he is the host of the annual Classic Arcade Gaming Tournament. He is also, like myself, good friends with Twin Galaxies founder\patron saint of gamers, Walter Day, and arcade legend Richie Knucklez.

Above all, Mark is very odd, but once you get to know him and his ways, you can be yourself around him and actually find him to be a pretty good guy.
major jay

« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2013, 08:24:15 AM »

2. PLEIADES (1981)
This was sort of a sequel to PHOENIX.

Small | Large

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2013, 10:06:37 AM »

Umaril- Dod you ever play Crystal Castles? I mainly remember it has a lot of secret warp things.
retrorussell

« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »

Umaril- Dod you ever play Crystal Castles? I mainly remember it has a lot of secret warp things.
Yeah; you warp I think from level 1 to 2 if you go behind the castle in the northern corner (where you can't see yourself) and jump.
After playing once, on your next credit a door will be opened in the first castle.  Go in and jump to go to level 3.
On level 3 grab the hat and go to the corner of the maze where you can't see yourself.  Press jump to go to level 5.
There's one other, I think to go from 5 to 7 that may also involve grabbing a hat and going to a hidden corner and jumping.
Also, notice that when you get the high score your initials will appear on the first level building.
And, if you jump like 100 times in the bottom corner of level 1 (you'll have to get stung by the bees twice) the programmer's initials FXL (Franz X. Lanzinger) will appear.

retrorussell

« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2013, 02:06:52 PM »

3. Moon Cresta (1980, Nichibutsu/Gremlin/SEGA)
Multi-stage shooter where you can add parts to your ship, increasing its firepower dramatically!  The opening tune is VERY recognizable for many arcade vets.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Top 100 arcade games of all time! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.