Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:24:48 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Barbie and Ken « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Barbie and Ken  (Read 5154 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: March 01, 2013, 05:20:52 PM »

WTF happened to horror movies where people looked like regular folks and not Barbie and Ken? Everybody in new horror films are so good looking! DONT LOOK IN THE BASEMENT was classic,because they were ugly-like me! Why? Everyone is a f**king fashion model! Young hip kids. I hate young hip kids! ARGGGH!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 05:44:03 PM »

I hear ya RC. S.F. Brownirigg had a knack for using ugly/weird looking folks in his films. Granted, if there's ample female nudity involved I don't mind it as much.  Wink

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »

That's one of the things I liked about classic Troma movies.  They not only cast ugly people, they celebrated - championed, even - ugliness!  The Toxic Avenger was a kick in the nuts to Hollywood standards of beauty.  Even the chick in that movie, while no dog, wasn't Hollywood-pretty.

Horror movies, in particular, SHOULD be ugly, harsh, brutal, and unrelenting.  If I watch a horror movie, I want to feel like I've been punched in the gut.  I don't want to laugh, I don't want to be reassured, I want to be HORRIFIED!  There should be absolutely no beauty anywhere in a horror film!

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
voltron

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:18:45 PM »

Horror movies, in particular, SHOULD be ugly, harsh, brutal, and unrelenting. 
Well said! As much as I enjoy what I call "comfort horror" (ie: low budget 80s slashers for instance), I'm always on the lookout for movies that will destroy my soul with unrelenting nihilism.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Bushma

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:22:11 PM »

As much as I enjoy what I call "comfort horror" (ie: low budget 80s slashers for instance), I'm always on the lookout for movies that will destroy my soul with unrelenting nihilism.

I actually LOL'ed at that. That I'd exactly why I love you people!

On Topic:
I totally agree with RC on this. Watching newer low budget films is hard because the people are too attractive. The Asylum is REALLY bad at this. They know their movies are bad so they fill the cast with attractive people to try and make up for it. I would really prefer a more "normal" cast.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 10:28:30 PM »

Tobe Hoopers EATEN ALIVE is a good example.Not one pretty face. All very ugly,reprehensible folks.Great to see them get et by a gator! I like it gritty! I want warts and all!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
claws
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 12:19:15 AM »

I was watching Stitches the other day, a new supernatural indie slasher made in Ireland. They cast average looking local types. Not uber-ugly but the kind that looks like they are on welfare but made looking "good" for the movie. I thought that was refreshing.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 08:52:30 AM »

The Asylum is REALLY bad at this. They know their movies are bad so they fill the cast with attractive people to try and make up for it. I would really prefer a more "normal" cast.

I dunno... somehow I doubt that "2 Headed Shark Attack" would've been more watchable without Carmen Electra.  BounceGiggle

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »

I think though it' only just a guess, that having pretty boy and pretty girl types in horror movies kind of makes you root for the monsters..who here hasn't seen a group of spoiled little rich prissy preps acting like they own the ground they walk on in each one of these movies? And thusly, who here hasn't said, "man I hope they get theirs"? The short of it is that the dumber they are, the more you want to see them get it. Just a though..
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »

I think though it' only just a guess, that having pretty boy and pretty girl types in horror movies kind of makes you root for the monsters..who here hasn't seen a group of spoiled little rich prissy preps acting like they own the ground they walk on in each one of these movies? And thusly, who here hasn't said, "man I hope they get theirs"? The short of it is that the dumber they are, the more you want to see them get it. Just a though..
That's a good explanation for lazy writers, but if you're actually rooting for the villain to kill somebody it kinda loses the whole "horror" feel. 
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 05:49:37 PM »

For true horror,you have to identify with the victums.I wanna feel the fear.The original TEXAS CHAINSaW MASSACRE  was humans! -not ugly kids-but people like you and me. No Collage spring break morons.
And yes-my spelling skills suck..

Franklin!

Small | Large

For some f**ked up reason,I cant post the video. But you can hit the link if your so inclined!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:15:05 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 06:14:13 PM »

No Collage spring break morons.
And yes-my spelling skills suck..

On that note, I've never understood why a group of teens hate each other or have nothing in common would decide to go on vacation together. 
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 07:58:28 PM »

It's not just horror movies, it's everywhere. There really seems to be a mentality nowadays that attractive = better when in reality, it's rare that today's pretty superstars can match the raw talent of yesteryear's more grizzled character actors who looked like and resembled real people. It's apparent on TV shows, in movies, even professional wrestling. Yesteryear had monsters and vastly entertaining scary heels like Mad Dog Vachon, Pampero Firpo, Bruiser Brody, Baron Von Raschke to name but a few. Nowaday these type of guys are much harder to find at least moreso that they should and when they are present, they'll turn them into dancing goofs or something like that.

I really miss seeing great character actors in movies (there's still a few around) and TV shows and so many of these good-looking beautiful people have no other discernible talent....

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »

It's not just horror movies, it's everywhere. There really seems to be a mentality nowadays that attractive = better when in reality, it's rare that today's pretty superstars can match the raw talent of yesteryear's more grizzled character actors who looked like and resembled real people. It's apparent on TV shows, in movies, even professional wrestling. Yesteryear had monsters and vastly entertaining scary heels like Mad Dog Vachon, Pampero Firpo, Bruiser Brody, Baron Von Raschke to name but a few. Nowaday these type of guys are much harder to find at least moreso that they should and when they are present, they'll turn them into dancing goofs or something like that.

I really miss seeing great character actors in movies (there's still a few around) and TV shows and so many of these good-looking beautiful people have no other discernible talent....

Exactly...couldn't have put it better. In fact,we were just talking this morning about how some classic actors probably wouldn't have made it today. Just for not being "pretty" enough which is certainly no way to judge talent.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Pacman000
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »

Actually, I think older movies had better looking actors.  Vivian Leah, Audrey Hepburn, et al. were prettier than most people in movies today, and they could act.  What happened?
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Barbie and Ken « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.