Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:03:30 AM
713404 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Psychedelic Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Psychedelic Movies  (Read 13273 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 08, 2013, 07:22:25 AM »

Ok gang, so out of boredom I'm putting together a bit of a mixed tape/dj mix of psychedelia-style music and to keep it flowing am thinking of intercutting some/all the songs with movie quotes from some psychedelia films.  Musically think of the soundtracks from Barbarella or Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, that type of vibe, and am thinking of things that are weird and wonderful to throw in there to split the songs up to let it flow.

I have a ton of music already, but suggestions on that front are also more than welcome!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:46:24 AM »

You can use visuals from the weird dance club in Coogan's Bluff [the Pigeon Toed Orange Peel] and any amount of quotes from Roger Corman's The TripSmile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
major jay

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »

Here's one to consider.

Small | Large

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »

You're only looking for quotes?

Lots and lots of stuff from FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS ("by this time, our minds were totally twisted...")

Ringo saying "it's all in the mind" from YELLOW SUBMARINE. (You should be able to find lots of quotes from that one too).

Willy Wonka's "tunnel" poem.

Personally I'd include "Your sacrifice has completed my sanctuary of 1,000 testicles" from THE HOLY MOUNTAIN.

Surely something from ALTERED STATES ("You don't have to tell me how weird you are. I know how weird you are") belongs.

ALICE IN WONDERLAND (Disney's animated version) is always good for insert quotes.

Hope that's the kind of stuff you're looking for.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:59:33 AM »

Oh and if you're looking for more music check out the FANTASTIC PLANET soundtrack---beautiful, sensual psychedelic rock.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 01:27:11 PM »

A Clockwork Orange contains some stunning visuals.
Though not quite psychedelic in effect, McDowell's narration & Wendy Carlos' soundtrack (together or separate) are what really drives the dream scape of this movie.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:42:35 PM »

I have a strong love for psychadelic and surreal films...there's been so many great mind-warping films over the years with surreal imagery. I also have a strong tendency to love these sequences in films where characters wander dreamingly from one place to another oftentimes via some sort of transportation (this is quite common in anime films. 2 examples that really stand out in my memory right now occurred in PATLABOR 1: THE MOVIE and SPIRITED AWAY). Anyways back to psychadelic and surreal films, get your mind around some of these and their imagery:

ALPHAVILLE
REPULSION
NAKED LUNCH
12 MONKEYS (love a lot of the music in this one especially "It's a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong)
PI
THE MATRIX
THE 13TH FLOOR
THE TRIAL
KAFKA
THE WIZARD OF OZ
METROPOLIS (2001) (another great soundtrack, gotta love Ray Charles' music in this)
THE DARK CRYSTAL
CITY OF LOST CHILDREN
CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI
METROPOLIS (1927)
VAMPYR
NOSFERATU
1984 (1984)
V FOR VENDETTA
WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
BLADE RUNNER
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 12:04:39 AM »

Rumble Fish has a pretty dreamy feel to it.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 06:01:27 AM »

from VIDEODROME (1983)

. After a while,I started hallucinating,and developed a tumor. I believe the visions caused the tumor,and not the other way around.
.Long Live the New Flesh!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 12:46:45 PM »

A few more films of possible interest:

CHARLY
SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE
STRANGE DAYS
DARK CITY
THE TRIP
THE HUDSUCKER PROXY
JACOB'S LADDER
IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS
THE TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE
TRAINSPOTTING
BRAZIL
BEING JOHN MALKOVICH
GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH
HAUSU
TOTAL RECALL (1990)
TOMMY

Certainly agree as well with others who suggested FANTASTIC PLANET, one of the trippiest of trippy movies.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Archivist

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 01:02:23 AM »

One vote for Vampiros Lesbos.  Very groovy psychedelic soundtrack and cool German dialogue to boot!

Beyond the Black Rainbow has some awesome music, too.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
claws
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 01:14:18 AM »

The Velvet Vampire and most recently, Kaboom (2010).
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 05:06:01 AM »

Certainly Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas has some of the most accurate depictions of what being on psychedelics is actually like. It also has a lot of stuff that is nothing like what being on psychedelics is like.

I second Beyond the Black Rainbow, which is not necessarily true-to-state, but certainly the aim of most psychedelic movies.

Avoid The Wall, because avoid cliches like the plague. (I like the movie.)

The Monkee's Head is interesting, because that is a movie specifically made by Bob Rafelson and Jack Nicholson (yes, that one) high off their minds on LSD specifically trying to destroy the idea of the Monkees. It has Frank Zappa in it, for no real reason.

My recommendation is that you take whatever weird and wonderful stuff you can find and start splicing them together in a true William S. Burroughs cut-up style. That always works, because when you talk psychedelic, it doesn't really matter. It isn't what you're playing, it's the mind that is splicing them together that matters, i.e. your viewer.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 10:42:35 AM »

Also, Catch-22.
Fishasaurus
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 12:28:55 PM »

All these varying replies make me wonder how the OP is defining "psychedelic."  I associate that word with that whole genre of mid-Sixties to late-Seventies movies packed with solarized visual FX and floaty-woaty music characterized by hypnotic drum signatures and either heavy keyboards or twangy guitars, sometimes both.

The ultimate soundtrack from that era, for me, is the incidental music from Psychomania and/or the theme music from The Green Slime.  Parts of the soundtrack from See No Evil also fits the bill nicely.

It takes a child to raze a village. -- Jello Biafra
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Psychedelic Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.