Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:09:53 AM
713391 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Lasers « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lasers  (Read 2597 times)
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« on: March 08, 2013, 08:06:17 AM »

An old staple of Sci Fi.  Lasers, often used as weapons in sci fi films.  This started as Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

Lasers are light, very focused and amplified.  But the problem with older sci fi films is they often show lasers moving slower than bullets.  In reality lasers move at the speed of light.  So they would be nearly impossible to dodge.

But in spaceship to spaceship battles we often see lasers doing incredible damage to spaceships, sometimes destroying them outright.  In reality in order to do this, they would need a vast amount of power.  The systems to generate this power would be far bigger than the spaceships can house.  I mean they use a lase system in our military to take down enemy missiles.  But the power system to accommodate this is in a plane the size of a 747.  But I know fictional starships are often bigger than 747s.  What I don't understand in these old sci fi films is why they don't color the spaceships a chrome silver.  That's all you need to deter a laser, a simple mirror.  You don't need some complex force field system.  That would never work.

But I have noticed in recent years that sci fi films have abandoned lasers in favor of flak and missile systems.  These would be more plausible as a weapon because in the depths of space, there is no air.  So these wouldn't be slowed down by air-resistance.  They would keep going at their speeds until interrupted by something like their intended target.

But I have noticed some trends in sci fi.  They are getting either more plausible (Battlestar Galactica) or are happening much further into the future (Chronicles of Riddick.)

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 06:20:26 PM »

RE: Energy Weapons...

Power options are a science fiction staple.
Take the Matter-Anti-Matter trick in Trek. Its not only a 'facinating' thought on how they provides the power, but what kind of materials are needed to handle the 'rush.'

I still get irked by the need in Trek to fight at 'spittin' distance', when ST/TOS made clear phasers could operate at huge distances. My Technobabble about that- They applied a short lived warp field that fed off the total beam energy, and keep the phaser (Which is a combo Laser/Particle cannon) fast enough to be used at...well, in Starfleet Battles, a Phasers 1 (Biggest ship phaser) is effective out to range five. After that, It really starts dissipating.
As one hex in SFB is 40.000 klicks...40.00 X 5 is...is a lot!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:23:29 PM »

But I have noticed some trends in sci fi.  They are getting either more plausible (Battlestar Galactica) or are happening much further into the future (Chronicles of Riddick.)
The trend is that they lack imagination and are trying too hard to be gritty and "realistic".  Not something I care for. 
Bushma

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:26:46 PM »

What I don't understand in these old sci fi films is why they don't color the spaceships a chrome silver.  That's all you need to deter a laser, a simple mirror.  You don't need some complex force field system.  That would never work.

That's a goo point!  That must be why in the classic Sci-fi movies the only time they ever used lasers were on the ground with laser pistols. You never saw them firing on ships or if they did they didn't do much damage. Must be because the ships were chrome saucers, and the lasers jus must have bounced off!

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Pacman000
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »

Death Rays, Disintegration Rays, Heat Rays, Ray Guns, and other similary named energy weapons were part of Sci-fi before real-life lasers were invented.  Producers use the term laser because it's easy to understand, and it seems close to the older stuff. 

But in spaceship to spaceship battles we often see lasers doing incredible damage to spaceships, sometimes destroying them outright.  In reality in order to do this, they would need a vast amount of power.  The systems to generate this power would be far bigger than the spaceships can house.  I mean they use a lase system in our military to take down enemy missiles.  But the power system to accommodate this is in a plane the size of a 747.  But I know fictional starships are often bigger than 747s. 
I'd assume advanced future technology would be able to solve any power problems.

What I don't understand in these old sci fi films is why they don't color the spaceships a chrome silver.  That's all you need to deter a laser, a simple mirror.  You don't need some complex force field system.  That would never work.
Technically, this wouldn't work on a high powered laser in real life.  The laser would generate enough heat to melt through the mirror.  Still, fiction shows lasers capable of destroying space ships deterred by mirrors, so, from an in-story perspective, your right.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »

But the problem with older sci fi films is they often show lasers moving slower than bullets.  In reality lasers move at the speed of light. 

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Lasers « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.