Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:03:26 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  GRAVE ENCOUNTERS 2 (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GRAVE ENCOUNTERS 2 (2012)  (Read 5128 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: March 09, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »

I watched GRAVE ENCOUNTERS when it came out a couple years ago and enjoyed it tremendously. I still
consider it to be perhaps the finest "Found Footage" horror film I have ever seen, and it held up well upon
a second viewing ( I have a long thread about it in this board somewhere).  When I heard they were coming
up with GRAVE ENCOUNTERS 2, I really did not think there was any way a sequel could ever touch the terrifying
originality of the first film.  But, being a perennial optimist, I decided I would give it a try anyway when it
hit the local video store.  I am glad I did.

Now let me be clear - it is not AS GOOD as the first film.  Matter of fact, the first 30 minutes or so are very slow
and a bit boring in places.  Alex Wright is a young film student and blogger who reviews GRAVE ENCOUNTERS in
the opening scene, and is frankly not impressed with the film at all.  But as he and his friends party and shoot their
own slasher flick, he begins receiving Emails and videos from someone who calls himself "Death Awaits." The videos
include additional footage from the original film, coordinates to the abandoned hospital where it was shot, and a
the location of the film's producer.  Well, Alex's curiosity is piqued, so he begins doing research.  He finds that none
of the actors from the first film have ever been seen again - and several of them have been declared legally dead.
He finally corners the producer, who admits that everything in the first film was real, and that the crew really did
disappear in the abandoned asylum.  The film was released in an attempt to recoup the losses from their disappearance and subsequent studio payouts to their families.
  So Alexa and his four friends then receive an invitation to meet "Death Awaits" at the abandoned mental hospital where the first movie was made.  They manage to break in, and as they begin filming, weird stuff starts to happen (of course!).  Can they use their knowledge of the first film to avoid disappearing forever, like its crew and cast?  Will the security guard get them out of the hospital safely?  Are the bizarre events overtaking them truly supernatural, or is something more prosaic at work?
  I must admit, the last hour of this film is some very solid horror.  The visual effects are not fancy,  but they are effective, and the ending is NOT what you might expect.  Overall, a very good sequel to a superior film.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 11:40:13 AM »

Will the security guard get them out of the hospital safely? 

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess no  TeddyR

Sounds like a fun one, I'll have to check it out sometime.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 03:05:22 PM »

I actually did see the first film, and it wasn't that bad.
Better than the Blair Witch Project, that's for sure (considering that this "found footage" stuff was born by that film).  Not sure I might tune in for the second one though, too much "paranormal" stuff flooding the horror market today.
Bushma
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 07:47:06 PM »

I was excited when I read the thread title, but as I started reading I started to get disappointed. I really enjoyed the first film, and I'd hate to be disappointed in this. It sounds a little like Blar Witch 2. I personally can't stand where a sequel says the first movie is just a movie.

That said I'm sure I'll end up watching it if/when it shows up on Amazon Prime.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:02:35 PM »

Trust me, it is WAY better than BLAIR WITCH2 or THE RING 2.  More like NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 09:31:04 PM »

Trust me, it is WAY better than BLAIR WITCH2 ...

That's a pretty low standard.  That movie was awful, in a very annoying sort of way.   TeddyR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 10:09:09 PM »

Trust me, it is WAY better than BLAIR WITCH2 or THE RING 2.  More like NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2.

and nightmare on elm street 2 is the gay one.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:39:54 PM »

I was thinking DREAM WARRIORS - was that #2 or #3?  Anyways, my point is that this one is actually quite good for a sequel, esp. for a horror sequel.  Of course, if you didn't like the first one, you won't like this one.  If you enjoyed the first movie, the second is definitely worth a watch!

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »

I was thinking DREAM WARRIORS - was that #2 or #3?  Anyways, my point is that this one is actually quite good for a sequel, esp. for a horror sequel.  Of course, if you didn't like the first one, you won't like this one.  If you enjoyed the first movie, the second is definitely worth a watch!

Dream Warriors was part 3.  And it also had that gay song of the same name by Dokken in it. Although I liked the part where Freddy kills Zsa Zsa Gabor after he asks her if anyone gives a ***k what she thinks, lol
Bushma

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 12:36:17 PM »

I didn't care for the beginning or the ending, but the rest of the film was A LOT of fun.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 08:04:16 PM »

I liked the ending OK, but the beginning was VERY slow.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 06:53:13 AM »

I tried watching this a while ago, but Netflix streaming locked up after 50 minutes.  Which was fine with me.  The whole idea that some media-savvy college kid who does movie reviews on Youtube could get an email from somebody - "Death Awaits" lol - and believe it's legitimate, and then go interview the movie producer who confesses his deepest darkest secrets to a total stranger who's secretly videotaping him...that did not work for me in the slightest.  The characters weren't sympathetic or likable, the main guy was basically a plot device rather than a character, and by the time the "scary" stuff started happening my suspension of disbelief had been well and truly destroyed and I didn't care if every last one of these people got killed anyway.

Sorry Indy, gonna have to disagree with ya on this one  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 07:21:54 AM »

... and Jack strikes again!  BounceGiggle Wink
synthetictruism
New Visitor

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »

I loved the first movie - I picked it up on sale, didn't expect much from it and was pleasantly surprised. It was a solid hand-held cam movie with some jumps, creepy atmosphere and was fairly well constructed (all things considered).

I picked up GE2 on release and for the first half of the film I was asking the question "this is still a horror movie, right?"

Not only that, some of the character decisions and motivations were so wildly stupid I found it almost painful to watch. It was only the last 20 minutes or so that I even came close to liking it, and I'm sure that was in part to finding everything before that tedious.

Perhaps I was expecting too much from it having enjoyed the first film, perhaps they wern't making the film I was expecting to see, but all in all I really did not care for it.

Shame, really.
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »

I thought the first film was okay but by the middle of Grave EncounOMG MY MOUTH IS FREAKING HUGE!!!! got a bit old. I've seen that far too often in horror today and I'm betting it's because the digital technology makes it so easy to do that directors think it's just easier: it's literally the visual equivalent of the musical jump.

The two times I really thought it was an effective device was when it was used to signify immediate danger. I'm not talking about when the person turns to look and goes, "Bleh, bleh!", I mean when these crazed looking ghouls are chasing the crews down the hallway. The guy busting down the doors and that little girl floating after them, heads contorting and limbs flailing all over the place. If you're going to be scary, don't go, "BOO!", come at me. Come at me bro! Make me wet pants I wore five days from now.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  GRAVE ENCOUNTERS 2 (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.