Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:40:52 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  What's This - Giant Bird? (No, Not "The Claw"!) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's This - Giant Bird? (No, Not "The Claw"!)  (Read 7198 times)
Feyde
New Visitor

« on: March 10, 2013, 04:45:51 AM »

Here's one for you lot out there in badmovie land. My brother and I have had this conversation on and off for the last twenty odd years. He states that he saw a film, American, back in the late sixties/early seventies set in the then present time. Its about a giant bird that's eating people, and all my brother can remember clearly is that the bird is finally trapped inside a stadium. I've got mo ideas, so anyone out there going to put us (well my brother!) out of our/his misery? Many Thanks.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »

Pretty sure you're looking for The Vulture (1967)... believe it's actually a Canadian film though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062463/

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 01:46:58 PM »

Not sure if there's a stadium in that film though so I could be wrong. The only other giant bird films that come to mind are both Japanese: THE X FROM OUTER SPACE and RODAN.

Feyde
New Visitor

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:50:27 AM »

Thanks for the reply - but no we've gone through all the likely suspects including "The Vulture". A couple of extra details, the hero was a policeman, and the giant bird was apparently a "real" raptor, not a man bird.......!! To be honest that's why I posted on here, because I'm totally stumped.
major jay
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 07:11:01 AM »

Maybe Q-THE WINGED SERPENT? (1982)
It doesn't end at a stadium, but the cops do finish him off.

Small | Large

Feyde
New Visitor

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 07:31:04 AM »

Again, many thanks for your reply - But no not "Q". It's no later than early seventies, and the giant bird is definitely trapped in a stadium at the end.
major jay
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 12:09:27 PM »

How about THE BLACK SCORPION?
It ends in a stadium.
Small | Large

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:12:02 PM by major jay » Logged

Feyde
New Visitor

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:16:32 PM »

Looks a good film!  Smile , but again no......
The Fake Macoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 10:24:41 PM »

This sounds just like a scene in Gamera - Guardian of the Universe, though the time period is WAY off.

This is a wild stab but is it possible that he saw the scene w/ the harpies in Jason and the Argonauts?  They're in some Greek ruins.

Do you have any more details about the bird in film?  Did it fly around or was it just a bird-like monster that walked around?  Was it stop motion, a puppet, or a suit?
Feyde
New Visitor

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 05:40:15 AM »

I'm afraid I can give you any more information, to be honest it's not much to go on...... But many thanks for trying.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 12:02:37 AM »

It sounds like you might be mixing up certain movies there. Some of your description really brings to mind Q, The Winged Serpent (the cops especially) while the part with the arena sounds like it could be from several classic films (such as 20 Million Miles to Earth or The Black Scorpion yet those films don't have actual birds in them although the Ymir does hatch from an egg, he's far more lizard like and somewhat humanoid in appearance). Honestly if this giant bird/flying dragon/dino film does exist, I would like to know what it is as well.

The Fake Macoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 01:11:22 AM »

For what it's worth, wikipedia has 2 lists of monster movies that may be helpful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monster_movies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_giant-monster_films

I went through both of them but I didn't see anything that matches the film described (giant bird, 1960s or 1970s, climax in stadium).  Maybe someone else will notice something.
Feyde
New Visitor

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 03:59:46 AM »

Thank you all! What a cool bunch you lot are  Cheers Normally I would agree, we all know how fickle memories are! In past conversations with my brother though I've suggested that maybe it wasn't an American film, perhaps a foreign one dubbed, or even an episode from some TV show. But, and this is the thing, he's so damn adamant - and that's rare for him.
Rayo Casablanca
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 08:51:22 AM »

Likely not it but worth looking at this clip from LEGEND OF HILLBILLY JOHN (1974):

Small | Large
Feyde
New Visitor

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 09:58:11 AM »

That's certainly "something" !  Smile Again no, but thank you kindly.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  What's This - Giant Bird? (No, Not "The Claw"!) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.