Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:17:31 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  The Best Things in Video Games « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Best Things in Video Games  (Read 16853 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 13, 2013, 11:45:42 AM »

I need a list of novel things in video games. Like something you see in a video game and you're like "Ooooh! They put THAT in I love games that do that!"

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »

Not sure if this would qualify, but I recently played Crysis 3 and going back to Crysis 2 I always thought it was cool when the Nano-suit would talk back to Prophet. That weird human-alien voice that speak to him whenever he would engage Nanovision or the Cloaking power, or when he was in tutorial about the suit's powers. It's creepy, yet cool.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 06:08:15 PM »

I like hidden rooms with bonus items and 1ups.
I like tricks that you can find that'll give you tons of 1ups.
I like games that once you complete, you are awarded special weapons or items that let you seriously kick butt the next time through.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 06:09:46 PM »

I like how, in the Elder Scrolls series, when you pull off a particular exploit and everybody in the world is talking about you! Especially in OBLIVION  after you beat the main quest, when everyone wants to sing "The Fall of Dagon" to you!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 06:33:05 PM »

I like how, in the Elder Scrolls series, when you pull off a particular exploit and everybody in the world is talking about you! Especially in OBLIVION  after you beat the main quest, when everyone wants to sing "The Fall of Dagon" to you!

Yeah, I remember that, lol.
Just like in Skyrim when the one guard in Whiterun says, "Well, if it isn't the slayer of the Glenmori Witches!"   And if you become a werewolf, the one guard says, "your wolfish grin disturbs me.".  But my favorite one so far is, "Let me guess, someone stole your sweet roll." That one always gets me.
Couchtr26

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 07:00:10 PM »

I like games that do that as in the Elder Scrolls, but any that permit you to see a direct in game effect to what you have done.  It brings the world alive and makes it stop being a static environment that you are interacting with all the time.  It gives you a sense that you have an affect on the world and it has an affect on you.  As you side with a group or take up arms, it gives you a feeling of purpose and there is at least a sort of meaning to it all. 

I also enjoy games like Borderlands that encourage and reward exploration.  I like to see everything and every place. 

Ah, the good old days.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:48:23 AM »

In well made and respected games, i.e. GTA series, People can have a good laugh and blow s**t up without being too damn serious.

yeah no.
dean

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 03:27:40 AM »

Rag doll physics. In general.   

Eg. Blowing self up in gta, launching self off buildings/out of speeding cars.  In oblivion/Skyrim type games adjusting the gravity/power so when you shoot an arrow people go flying.

It's the little moments like that which can make life enjoyable...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »

These are great examples. I can't put in a lot of them being that my game is a 2D RPG but I'll keep the ones that are simple enough for 2D engines.

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »

I like games that do that as in the Elder Scrolls, but any that permit you to see a direct in game effect to what you have done.  It brings the world alive and makes it stop being a static environment that you are interacting with all the time.  It gives you a sense that you have an affect on the world and it has an affect on you.  As you side with a group or take up arms, it gives you a feeling of purpose and there is at least a sort of meaning to it all. 

I also enjoy games like Borderlands that encourage and reward exploration.  I like to see everything and every place. 

You bring up a good point about the effects of your actions. In Skyrim I was approached by these three guys in heavy armor once, and they told me that I was going to "pay for what I did". 
So, after I disposed of them, I found a contract note signed by someone, authorizing my death for whatever action I committed against them. Most likely it was because I stole something from their house as a Thief or some other thing.

But yeah, consequences as a result of your actions is a good thing in game, gives it more of a real feel.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »

You bring up a good point about the effects of your actions. In Skyrim I was approached by these three guys in heavy armor once, and they told me that I was going to "pay for what I did". 
So, after I disposed of them, I found a contract note signed by someone, authorizing my death for whatever action I committed against them. Most likely it was because I stole something from their house as a Thief or some other thing.

But yeah, consequences as a result of your actions is a good thing in game, gives it more of a real feel.

I remember the old woman in the Jarl's court sent some thugs after me. I killed her for it and when the guard tried to arrest me I said "I am the Jarl's thane! Release me at once!" and the guard was like...

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 02:25:55 PM »

I remember the old woman in the Jarl's court sent some thugs after me. I killed her for it and when the guard tried to arrest me I said "I am the Jarl's thane! Release me at once!" and the guard was like...

Yeah I got away with a few botched Thieves' Guild missions with the old "I'm the Jarl's Thane" bit. It only goes so far though. Anyhow, Skyrim's a fun game and deserves a replay for the things you missed the first time 'round.  Cheers
Couchtr26

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 07:38:46 PM »

Yeah I got away with a few botched Thieves' Guild missions with the old "I'm the Jarl's Thane" bit. It only goes so far though. Anyhow, Skyrim's a fun game and deserves a replay for the things you missed the first time 'round.  Cheers

Best moment ever for me was not even an example of anything.  Rather killed a cow +40 bounty, killed a chicken -40 bounty witness killed. 

AJ, a good option would be leading dialogues.  Give the characters a few interesting individuals to interact with that don't have a direct reason for being but rather speak and encourage or discourage certain actions.  It would give players a moral compass of sorts and make them think about what they are doing.  If you can get the dialogue going right can make for a very interesting and fun game experience. 

Ah, the good old days.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 06:20:14 AM »

Best moment ever for me was not even an example of anything.  Rather killed a cow +40 bounty, killed a chicken -40 bounty witness killed. 

AJ, a good option would be leading dialogues.  Give the characters a few interesting individuals to interact with that don't have a direct reason for being but rather speak and encourage or discourage certain actions.  It would give players a moral compass of sorts and make them think about what they are doing.  If you can get the dialogue going right can make for a very interesting and fun game experience. 

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 04:12:01 PM »

Rag doll physics. In general.   

Eg. Blowing self up in gta, launching self off buildings/out of speeding cars.  In oblivion/Skyrim type games adjusting the gravity/power so when you shoot an arrow people go flying.

It's the little moments like that which can make life enjoyable...

As well as the slo-mo "counter kills" in Skyrim. Nothing cooler than watching your hero come down on top of someone's head and shoulders with a warhammer, or watching your hero pirouette in a whirlwind of steel fury with a greatsword with the blood splashing all over. The stuff of life, eh,  kinsman?   Cheers
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  The Best Things in Video Games « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.