Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:53:02 PM
712921 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sequels and Re-makes that Missed the Point « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Sequels and Re-makes that Missed the Point  (Read 19108 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 08:03:56 AM »

On the plus side, it did have one of the better Jason designs and a great opening. 

Yeah, the opening was great, unfortunately the movie went straight down the pooper from there and stayed that way till the end.

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (1987)

We are introduced to a new character named Mary Lou Maloney - a supernatural force with revenge on her mind. This sequel has nothing to do with the first movie, but it's still a fun flick nonetheless.

The only thing that tied it to the first movie was the setting - Hamilton High.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 08:08:19 AM »

you would have to say HALLOWEEN III "missed the point" of the original, without necessarily slating the movie itself

I've named dropped it before, but the Black Christmas remake, besides being totally unnecessary, can stand on it's own two feet as being one of the most hideous atrocities ever committed to film.  Hatred
I'm with you on this. There is something so fundamentally annoying about the whole tone of the remake that I found myself getting angry just watching it and bailed out after 30 minutes or so. No plans to ever watch the rest.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:13:52 AM by zombie #1 » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
MrMari

Keepin' my pimp hand strong since 1975.

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 11:22:51 AM »

Blues Brothers 2000

They were brothers (Belushi and Ackroyd's characters) that was the point. Now Jake dies and Elwood goes on to recruit "honorary brothers". This movie made a mockery of the original masterpiece.  Thumbdown Thumbdown Thumbdown

JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »

Does Pearl Harbor count?

Small | Large

Also, can we use adapted material?  If so, then:

Resident Evil movies- Last I checked the games didn't feature a veritable superhero who could destroy satelites with her mind, nor anything equally idiotic.

High Tension- Arguable, since it was supposed to be loosely based on Dean Koontz's Intesnity, which dealt with the relevance of modern psychology to heinously insane individuals.  As smart as the book was, though, it was incredibly boring.  High Tension wasn't, but it certainly axed the references to modern psychology.  I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that it strayed from the novel.

Fight Club (the video game)- I'll let that one sink in.  It pretty much tells itself if you've seen/read Fight Club.

Godzilla (1998)- I find I'm hating this movie less and less as I get older, but it still failed to capture the spirit of Godzilla.  It managed to be a passable Hollywood-produced kaiju film, and that was about it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 02:24:30 AM by JoeTheDestroyer » Logged

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
ChaosTheory

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »

*insert STAR WARS rant here*

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 01:32:45 PM »

The "sequels" to FIRST BLOOD are excellent examples.  FIRST BLOOD was a good movie with a point; the rest were just bleh.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »

No mention yet of First Blood compared with all the Rambo sequels?

First Blood was a good film, but it was centered on the legacy of Vietnam not the action.  Rambo 2 was the best action movie ever made.  The 3rd one sucked big time.  Although in hindsight the 3rd film had a good speech about a Jihad really being a war for freedom.  Considering how the propaganda did a doublethink 180 on the Muslims in Afghanistan, I find that part humorous, its like finding part of 1984 in real life.

Couchtr26

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 12:27:30 AM »

I've named dropped it before, but the Black Christmas remake, besides being totally unnecessary, can stand on it's own two feet as being one of the most hideous atrocities ever committed to film.  Hatred

I think the only thing I liked about it was Lacey Chabert. 

Didn't like the new Conan film not that the first was stupendous but captured my idea of fantasy when I was younger.  The new one felt like a higher budget version of a TV show. 

While I like them, the Alien sequels strayed from the horror and tension and went more action. 

Ah, the good old days.
Torgo

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »

The recent remake of Total Recall was completely unecessary as instead of just doing their own thing and going back more to the short story, they did a pointless retread of the Verhoeven film which was already perfect to begin with.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
The Fake Macoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 07:37:06 PM »

I feel like The Thing (2011) missed the point.  It really didn't have much going for it in terms of suspense and relied too much on jump scares.  The Thing seemed like its go to plan was just "It's clobbering time!" rather than anything more subtle.  Also the whole deal with the space ship was stupid.
akiratubo

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 07:48:36 PM »

I feel like The Thing (2011) missed the point.  It really didn't have much going for it in terms of suspense and relied too much on jump scares.  The Thing seemed like its go to plan was just "It's clobbering time!" rather than anything more subtle.  Also the whole deal with the space ship was stupid.

I liked the prequel and felt that the more aggressive behavior of the thing(s) in it could be attributed to the creature not having much time to learn how to deal with human prey.  The things spawned from the dog in the original movie would have been able to learn that the subtle approach was better.

Where I feel the movie really missed the point was at the end.  We obviously weren't really supposed to know whether the person being killed with the flamethrower was a thing, or if the person doing the killing was, either, for that matter.  Then some dumbass dubbed the thing's death howl into the scene, ruining the most powerful moment of the movie.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:55:35 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Couchtr26

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 08:05:22 PM »

The recent remake of Total Recall was completely unecessary as instead of just doing their own thing and going back more to the short story, they did a pointless retread of the Verhoeven film which was already perfect to begin with.

Yeah that was pretty bad. 

I liked the prequel and felt that the more aggressive behavior of the thing(s) in it could be attributed to the creature not having much time to learn how to deal with human prey.  The things spawned from the dog in the original movie would have been able to learn that the subtle approach was better.

Where I feel the movie really missed the point was at the end.  We obviously weren't really supposed to know whether the person being killed with the flamethrower was a thing, or if the person doing the killing was, either, for that matter.  Then some dumbass dubbed the thing's death howl into the scene, ruining the most powerful moment of the movie.

I agree with you entirely on this one Akira.  I think the behavior made perfect sense considering the unknown human animal to it.  The only way a slower method would work is if it came upon the group of its own accord.  However, it was found and brought back.  The cat is out of the bag so hiding and watching would make no sense. 

The ending was terrible.  The tension from questioning would make more sense.

Ah, the good old days.
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »

Chud 2, anyone? Take a flying leap from toxic waste under New York and horribly mutated former homless folk with Stretch Armstrong bodies to- a goofy zombie wandering the... suburbs. That and the theme song with only three words.

"Bud, the CHUD. Bud, the CHUD. Bud, the CHUD." x Big Scary Number.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
66Crush
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 02:38:17 PM »

Damn, that Black Christmas remake sure gets a lot hate. I must be the only person who liked it.
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »

Chud 2, anyone? Take a flying leap from toxic waste under New York and horribly mutated former homless folk with Stretch Armstrong bodies to- a goofy zombie wandering the... suburbs. That and the theme song with only three words.

"Bud, the CHUD. Bud, the CHUD. Bud, the CHUD." x Big Scary Number.

I read somewhere that this was originally supposed to be a return of the living dead sequel. I think in that series context it would make more sense. I like CHUD 2 though, it's one of the better horror comedies from that era, fun to put on when friends are over.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sequels and Re-makes that Missed the Point « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.