Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:01:12 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Quit My Job « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I Quit My Job  (Read 6164 times)
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 18, 2013, 03:13:41 PM »

I've worked at this convenience store for 7 1/2 years and after the first 10 months it was bought out by these foreign guys who have managed to run a very prosperous store right into the ground. The manager is this egotistical moron who is,without a doubt,the worst businessman I've ever known. He has a foul mouth,wastes money on pointless merchandice that gathers dust while constantly letting us run out of the stuff we sell most. All because he desperately wants to become rich but doesn't want to pay bills or shell out for product. He refuses to let the air get turned on so it's usually very stuffy....customer complaints about it make him mad and defensive. Plus this causes excellerated product spoilage. That doesn't bother him,though....he has a good number of things up to 5 years past their sell by date. Neither he or his Dad,who works there,too,have any people skills and have run off so many regular customers that it's embarassing to say I worked there.
The reason I finally quit is because he has always been so damned hypercritical,jumping down our throats for every tiny accidental mistake or mistakes he percieves. He swears that they never make mistakes....yes,he said that to my face. Well,we just had $476 work done on our van for a rotten fuel pump. This morning our car wouldn't start and found out it has a rotten alternator. We walked a distance to work to get our paychecks. The guy had been at the bank and passed us on the road without stopping to offer us help. When we got there and sat in a booth for a second he came over and laughed at us,saying,"You need a break?" He then called us into the office and proceeded to rip us a new one over "all these mistakes he's been having to deal with lately from us". He was all excited and thoroughly enjoying the situation....I've never understood the actual pleasure he gets over other people's misery. Well,that was the last straw and my twin sister and I both quit. Before those two losers took over I was not on 3 meds for my blood pressure.
Okay,just to let yall know it isn't because he's from Pakistan. I wouldn't care if they were from Idaho. Bosses shouldn't treat people the way they do for any reason. And I was lucky to have a paycheck....but I draw the line at "lucky to have that job". The last several years have been hell...constant insults to my intelligence,my ability to perform my job
and every day having to hear "we only come here when they're gone".
We simply couldn't take it any more.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 03:45:54 PM »

Good for you Tracy, sometimes you've just gotta say enough is enough.  You'll find something better - you deserve better.   Thumbup

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Torgo

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 04:44:13 PM »

Best of luck to you in all of your future endeavors!  Cheers

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:14:49 PM »

I worked for a boss like that. Was very happy to get out.  Cheers you definitely did the right thing!
akiratubo

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 05:24:51 PM »

A fairly recent study in the UK found that job-related stress makes a person literally thousands of times more likely to die from cardiovascular issues.  The study concluded that if workplace stress could be brought down, heart attack deaths would drop by something like 95%.  So, good thing on getting out of there.  Life's too short to let a miserable little troll who thinks he's a businessman make it any shorter.

On the bright side, the knife cuts both ways.  Angry bosses suffer just as much from work stress as their miserable employees, so that guy's probably putting himself into an early grave!   Wink

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:43:04 PM »

well done Tracy. I have also quit a job in the past due to having an intolerable boss situation, so I know what it's like to an extent. people like that always get their come-uppance one way or another... so good on you for getting out.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Couchtr26

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 08:00:38 PM »

Never fun to do, but sounds like you made the best choice Tracy.  Look toward the future and don't worry about terrible bosses.   Cheers Good luck.

Ah, the good old days.
claws
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 09:45:11 PM »

You've done the right thing.
I've been in a similar situation regarding an a***ole boss who made everyone's life miserable. How I managed to stick around for nearly 13 years is beyond me but I quit my job in the spring of 2009 during the height of recession. And I never regretted my decision. After taking a two year break I found a cool new job and I've been very happy ever since. I'm sure you will find something better soon.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »

Nothing is harder than working for someone where mutual dislike is the order of the day, every day.  I was there once, a long time ago, and quitting was the best thing I ever did - because the next week I walked into a job I love that I have held for 7 years!  So just for you, Tracy -

Small | Large

Enjoy!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 12:46:16 AM »

Wishing my SisterT all the best.  Cheers TeddyR

I must just add that no boss would ever dare to speak to me that way. We have a strong union here and I would report him or her very quickly. I would not refuse to work but would work, as we say, to rule until this matter was sorted out.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:03:20 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 02:50:46 AM »

That's why I quit two of my jobs.. not for exactly the same reasons but stupid policies and stupid people ruined things for me.  I quit them both because I was such a nervous wreck because of the job that I was physically sick.  Folks, always remember: there's never any job-related situation you can't get out of.  If you work hard and stick with it as long as you can, eventually you will find that gravy job someday where you can always take your breaks and lunches and not have to overtax yourself.  That's where I'm at now.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 09:54:10 AM »

Respect and treating people fairly goes a long way in everything.  Take care of your people and they will take care of your business.  In the military we even have a similar edict, with mission accomplishment and troop welfare being the two "ground level" things to consider in everything.  I've had a few leaders over the years who I've told that they are great at getting things done, but that they wear the Marines down and it affects us in the long run.

Thumbs up on leaving a stressful job and hope that you quickly find a new place where you enjoy working!

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »

I know it is difficult to quit, but it sounds like you did the right thing, Tracy.

The good news is that while the unemployment rate is still too high, it has gone down somewhat, so people are hiring. The better news is that the Texas unemployment rate is lower than the national rate, and the best news, is that the Austin area, where I believe you live, has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the state.

The bad news is that I don't expect you'll get a letter of recomendation from your last employer. In that case, the only advice I have for you is when you apply for your next position in another convenience store, or wherever you apply, explain totally why you left your old job, and what the problem was, and hopefully your next employer will be understanding as to the reasons why.

And good luck on your job search. You are a great person and would make someone a wonderful employee.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »

TO ALL OF YOU....
Trace isn't here; we have no van, so she'd have to walk to the library, and she's exhausted after yesterday. So, I decided to thank all of you, for your support. Even factoring in all the abuse, quitting wasn't easy for her or Mary-the girls would rarely talk about what was going on outside the house, for fear it would get back to Mike, and he'd fire them.

Some of you might remember Tracy had a quintuple bypass done back in the spring of 2011, and I'm positive that the stress at work had a LOT to do with that.

I was working for this putz when I got sick, and he seemed to find my situation funny. Man of God though I am, I'd like to pound him like a half-dollar steak.

We'll be okay-the One Who has us in His hand has taken great care of us so far. I'm kinda relieved that they're out of there.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 10:16:11 PM »

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do... for your own health and sanity...

Best of luck to you Tracy.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Quit My Job « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.