Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:18:22 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The building that you live / work in: how old is it? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The building that you live / work in: how old is it?  (Read 4696 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: March 08, 2013, 07:25:01 AM »

The National Film Archives is housed in a building that was originally a farmhouse and it was built in 1892. A nice place: I should just add that it is haunted.  Buggedout

This isn't a place you want to be in late at night as the vibes are not good then, but I suppose if all of us bad movie lovers got together for a screening and a party, the ghosts would probably join in.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Bushma
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:16:38 AM »

The building I work in was built early to mid 70s as a mall, and has a 3 story watch tower along with a small apartment.  The owner's family also had a small shipping business along the river which runs next us.  So he had the tower built so he could watch over the family business and live in the apartment.  The mall never did well because the owner would only allow specality shops, so of course due to a lack of renters and a lack of shoppers the mall went out of business.  The owner (I'm sorry to keep saying "the owner" but I can't remember his name) eventually started just renting it out as office space, and never took care of building maintence.  So here we are in 2013 getting ready to move to another building.  I've only been here for 9 years, but I've watched the building fall apart.  There are mushrooms growning on the walls outside, and the roof leaks when it rains.  Also a lot of the wooden roof support beams are rotted.  This building is horrible for office use, but it's got a wonderful feel to it.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »

The main part of our barn - where I spend a lot of my time - was very likely built shortly after the property was homesteaded in 1860.  (That is the part visible in the background of the gardening pic's I posted last summer: typical hip-roofed "English" barn, down to the fading red paint.)  There was an addtion made to it not too long after, almost doubling it in size.

The house is turn of the century, so about 100 years old.  Wide pine plank floors and all-original woodwork and old (detached) gas lines still in the walls and ceilings for lighting!  If we ever get around to renovating/refinishing it could be special.  It is the second house built on the property: I keep digging up traces of the original dwelling.

There is an old dug well out front which sinks in a bit each year.  It was not properly filled in: I dug it out to check and found the brick housing.  Kinda cool: I was told neighbours used to come by for water as it was particularly sweet (a rarity in this area - there is natural gas to be found and it taints a lot of the ground water)

No ghosts.  I checked.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:24:12 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:23:01 AM »

The front part of my house was made in the 1860's or 1880's (Can't remember which one :P) My school was made in the early 1900's.

yeah no.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:31:55 AM »

The house I live in was built in the early 1920s in what was then the country, and its original owner used it as a weekend and summer place, before he lost his money in 1929. Growing up reading Stephen King I always thought it was cool the the original builder called the house "The Stand" after a stand of old oak trees that used to be near the front. Unlike Trevor's workplace, no ghosts here. (Sigh.)

Trevor, if you feel like it, tell more about the bad vibes and haunted nature of the archives. That sounds interesting!

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 06:57:25 PM »

Our Veterans Hospital was basically started in 1929 when the first 15 buildings were constructed; I believe that is where I am working.  Other wards, administration buildings, tuberculosis research centers and the like were created later.  The last major addition was a cancer research center in 1999.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Paquita

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 12:32:42 AM »

My house is probably around 100 years old.. I know it’s over 80 years old.  It still has switches from gas lighting that (I assume) used to be here, but someone thought that we wouldn’t notice if there was a couple thick layers of paint glopped on them.  My family has been here for about 40 years and my uncle owns it now and for the last 15 years he has put it under almost constant DIY construction to replace/update everything that’s old or falling apart, but only like 80% - the man never finishes a job.  There are rooms that are wallpapered everywhere except for a really long strip in an inconvenient to reach place, my kitchen was redone but the baseboards weren’t replaced and there are no windowsills, my bathroom was renovated, but he never placed the glass cover over the ceiling light so I just have 4 bulbs jutting out of the ceiling.

A friend that used to live with me insists my house is haunted, and she could be right.  I certainly had a few spooks when I was younger and I get the heebie-jeebies when I’m alone sometimes.  Lately though, the only thing that haunts me is a torn piece of black house wrap (from an unfinished siding job) that flaps in the breeze outside the window and catches me by surprise sometimes and I think it’s the ghostly robe of the grim reaper creepshow creep a-knockin' at my window.

I like old houses.  If I ever move, I think I would refuse to live anywhere that wasn't at least 50 years old.  Newer homes just seem soulless to me.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 03:22:54 AM »

Oops, I only read "The building you work in".  My current residence is a house built in 1957, I believe.  My folks and I repainted almost everything, put in a new deck, I got a new ceiling fan put in, got new couches recently and new kitchen tile.  In general, I spruced a whole lotta stuff up so it looks up-to-date on the inside.  The outside doesn't look like 1957 by any means.  The only area that still looks decrepit is the attic.  I plan to fix that up this summer.  That, and the fence boards are gonna need replacing.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 04:58:36 PM »

My workplace is a hospital well over 100 years old and theres strange stories about certain areas being haunted.  Ive never really seen anything and feel quite comfortable around the history. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 04:18:41 PM »

Our house is 8 years old.  We bought it just around the time they finished building it.

The building where I work was constructed in 1988.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 12:57:07 AM »

Unlike Trevor's workplace, no ghosts here. (Sigh.) Trevor, if you feel like it, tell more about the bad vibes and haunted nature of the archives. That sounds interesting!

It is and the Craigielea Building (our main offices) are not the best place to be in after 11h00 PM. I have felt things in this building, especially the rear part of the building where there is an odd cold spot between two rooms. I have a feeling that something or someone is buried under that floor.  Buggedout Also the building has tunnels underneath it which are accessible through trapdoors: I went under there for about five minutes, got scared and thought "The hell with this, I'm going up."

During the day, it is nice but at night......  Buggedout

I should just add that our building is not unique: our National Archives building is also haunted: it was built on an abandoned cemetery.  Buggedout Buggedout
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:02:27 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Couchtr26

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 12:35:51 AM »

My building where I live and the one where I work were built around the 50's.  The one I work in was originally a grocery store and then converted.  Though, I'm a driver and not there much.  I live in an apartment from around the same time period.

Ah, the good old days.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The building that you live / work in: how old is it? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.