Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:06:19 AM
713345 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ray Harryhausen's Hit list « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ray Harryhausen's Hit list  (Read 11134 times)
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 26, 2013, 06:46:17 PM »

Small | Large

I got my Ymir on this week and watched 20 Million Miles to Earth.  I was dinking around and found this.. an overview of all Ray's major projects.

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 07:27:01 PM »

My top 5 Harryhausen  s**t-
1. The cyclops fom the 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD is iconic!-Ya cant think of Ray without-POP! The cyclops! Roasting punks!
2. The Ymir from the 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH-Good call,Ed! Ya gotta feel sorry for the guy!
3.The saucers from EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS-waaaaay before INDEPENDENCE DAY-Washington DC gets nuked! Alright!
4.JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS-The skeleton battle? Need I say more? YES! I can! But I wont....because my movie review skills are limited!
5.ONE MILLION BC-Its dinosaurs. Thats why folks watch JURRASIC PARK. Ray did it first.

But my favorite-The cyclops is one of the most f**ked up SCARIST monsters I ever seen when I was a budding horror fan! Still Is! A big,one eyed freak who has no compuncktion ( I spelt that wrong-Im sure ) of eating you! ah! Buggedout

Small | Large

Actually I cant think of even one of his movies I DONT like! Even his old Puppetoons are scary! Watch the old RED RIDING HOOD wolf-creepy s**t!

Small | Large

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:40:03 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:08:59 PM »

My personal favorite will always be the Rhedasuaus from Beast from 20,000 fathoms

Next is the Ymir and then the dinosaurs from One Million Years B.C

One really cool on is Minoton from Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger.  A robotic minotaur?  That's awesome!

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 11:02:20 PM »

Aside from my well-publicized Ymir love, I think the skeletons are the business.  They were such a part of my childhood.  I'd never seen anything like them before.
_Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 06:24:19 AM »

Back in the Super Seventies I seen The GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD,SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER and CLASH OF THE TITANS at the Strand in Paw Paw,Michigan! Eating and throwing popcorn from the balcony,no less!

Good times.  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 04:33:43 AM »

Harryhausen's dinosaurs and giant animals have always been my favorites. I still can't figure out how Harryhausen blended together Gwangi and the riders with lassos so well. I don't want to know. Really, don't ruin my childhood illusion or I'll Robot Chicken you and run a loop of Lloyd Kaufman interviews.

Forever.

Small | Large

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 10:33:51 PM »

The Cyclops is such a great design.  It's one of those characters that just jumps to mind whenever I try to put together a list of classic movie monsters. 

I'm also really fond of his Kraken and the sword fighting Kali carving. 

And let's not forget the Skeletons.  So simple, yet few movies have managed to do them better.  ... On that note, why aren't there more killer skeleton movies?  Come on, Hollywood, take the zombie thing just one step further and strip away the rest of their flesh.  I needs me some skeleton killins! 
ChaosTheory

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 12:46:12 PM »

Either the 1 MILLION BC dinosaurs or the Medusa from CLASH OF THE TITANS.  Although I love pretty much everything Harryhausen does.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 01:35:24 PM »

The Cyclops is such a great design.  It's one of those characters that just jumps to mind whenever I try to put together a list of classic movie monsters. 

I'm also really fond of his Kraken and the sword fighting Kali carving. 

And let's not forget the Skeletons.  So simple, yet few movies have managed to do them better.  ... On that note, why aren't there more killer skeleton movies?  Come on, Hollywood, take the zombie thing just one step further and strip away the rest of their flesh.  I needs me some skeleton killins! 

The skeletons... simple but cool. I adore Harryhausen's work!

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »

His Medusa is one of his more inspired creations-especially because she is one of the only really ugly Medusa designs in film.  Harryhausen said that when looking for inspiration, he found that most sources just depicted her as a normal looking (sometimes even beautiful) woman, just with snakes for hair.  Even when gorgons weren't so attractive, they really weren't all that ugly.

He made her more ugly, and more reptilian which makes her one of his best creations.   

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
ChaosTheory

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 02:12:12 PM »

His Medusa is one of his more inspired creations-especially because she is one of the only really ugly Medusa designs in film.  Harryhausen said that when looking for inspiration, he found that most sources just depicted her as a normal looking (sometimes even beautiful) woman, just with snakes for hair.  Even when gorgons weren't so attractive, they really weren't all that ugly.

He made her more ugly, and more reptilian which makes her one of his best creations.   

Totally.  As I recall from the original myth, Medusa had been beautiful but she inadvertantly p**sed off some god or other and they turned her into a monster as a warning.  The Gorgons should be terrifying; Harry did it right, the remake did it very wrong.

And also from CLASH, while it's not exactly one of his major accomplishments, I admit I always found Bubo pretty adorable.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 08:49:54 PM »

Question-why is this in the BAD movies section and a piece of s**t like MANBORG is in the GOOD movie section??? Question

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 08:57:40 PM »

I guess if yer a fan of video games-and Im not-MANBORG would appeal to you-but it cant hold a candle to THE 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD or JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS. Its f**king made for kids who grew up with video games.Its CGI bulls**t! Ray did his stuff by hand-the real deal,Lucille.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »

Question-why is this in the BAD movies section and a piece of s**t like MANBORG is in the GOOD movie section??? Question

Question - why are you attacking Manborg AGAIN in a thread about something totally different when you haven't even seen it?  Just because it doesn't look like something you would like, doesn't make it bad.  It's not a cheesy CGI-filled, video game movie - it is a SPOOF (probably not the right word) of those types of movies.  I am a HUGE Harryhausen fan and NOT a "kid who grew up with video games", so maybe my perspective isn't that far off from yours.  Give it a shot or don't, but Manborg is NOT keeping Harryhausen out of the "Good" category.  Unrelated...

I guess if yer a fan of video games-and Im not-MANBORG would appeal to you-but it cant hold a candle to THE 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD or JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS. Its f**king made for kids who grew up with video games.Its CGI bulls**t! Ray did his stuff by hand-the real deal,Lucille.

It's not TRYING to hold a candle to Harryhausen.  The Astron-6 guys, who made Manborg, knew exactly what they were making.  It's a VERY comedic take on the types of movies that were inexplicably popular in the 80's.  I feel like you are assuming, from the trailer, that it was an ACTUAL attempt at making a serious movie, but failed miserably.  If anything, that speaks to how good it is - they created something that fits the time and mood of the movies that they were poking fun at.  Would you call Black Dynamite a bad movie because some of the dialogue is corny and the boom mike keeps popping in?  No, it was intentional as an homage to Blaxploitation flicks that actually HAD that happen...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:47:20 PM by JayJayM12 » Logged

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 01:59:41 PM »

Good and Bad is very subjective. Especially here where we tend to like the "bad" stuff and ignore the things that most critics praise.   Wink

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ray Harryhausen's Hit list « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.