Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:14:14 AM
713330 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ray Harryhausen's Hit list « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ray Harryhausen's Hit list  (Read 11131 times)
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 02:34:59 PM »

His movies were actually ahead of their time if you think about.  The affects are still really good, even for today.

Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

Take care.

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »

I can't say that I have a favorite....I love all of them, but especially the ones I got to see at the theater....

7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD
JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS
MYSTERIOUS ISLAND
FIRST MEN IN THE MOON
GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD
CLASH OF THE TITANS

This was done by his mentor, who gave us KING KONG, and MIGHTY JOE YOUNG....WILLIS O'BRIEN!

Small | Large

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 01:15:37 PM »

His Medusa is one of his more inspired creations-especially because she is one of the only really ugly Medusa designs in film.  Harryhausen said that when looking for inspiration, he found that most sources just depicted her as a normal looking (sometimes even beautiful) woman, just with snakes for hair.  Even when gorgons weren't so attractive, they really weren't all that ugly.

He made her more ugly, and more reptilian which makes her one of his best creations.   

Excellent point. Wink

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 06:34:50 PM »

Given the news, I felt I should post on this thread out of respect.

Favorites.
Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
One Million Years B.C.
20 Million Miles to Earth
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
Clash of the Titans
Valley of Gwangi
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:35:14 PM by WingedSerpent » Logged

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 08:14:59 PM »

I can't think of a film by Harryhausen I didn't enjoy and find fun. I consider the following to be some of his best work:

1) The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
2) Jason and the Argonauts
3) 20 Million Miles to Earth
4) First Men in the Moon
5) Mysterious Island

Also have a real soft spot for the rest of his work too especially Earth vs. the Flying Saucers and It Came From Beneath the Sea. His creatures all had such personality...something so very few of today CGI creatures have.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 03:58:34 PM »

I can't think of a film by Harryhausen I didn't enjoy and find fun. I consider the following to be some of his best work:

1) The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
2) Jason and the Argonauts
3) 20 Million Miles to Earth
4) First Men in the Moon
5) Mysterious Island

Also have a real soft spot for the rest of his work too especially Earth vs. the Flying Saucers and It Came From Beneath the Sea. His creatures all had such personality...something so very few of today CGI creatures have.

That would be a pretty tough list to argue with!

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 07:46:48 AM »

Question-why is this in the BAD movies section and a piece of s**t like MANBORG is in the GOOD movie section??? Question

Question - why are you attacking Manborg AGAIN in a thread about something totally different when you haven't even seen it?  Just because it doesn't look like something you would like, doesn't make it bad.  It's not a cheesy CGI-filled, video game movie - it is a SPOOF (probably not the right word) of those types of movies.  I am a HUGE Harryhausen fan and NOT a "kid who grew up with video games", so maybe my perspective isn't that far off from yours.  Give it a shot or don't, but Manborg is NOT keeping Harryhausen out of the "Good" category.  Unrelated...

I guess if yer a fan of video games-and Im not-MANBORG would appeal to you-but it cant hold a candle to THE 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD or JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS. Its f**king made for kids who grew up with video games.Its CGI bulls**t! Ray did his stuff by hand-the real deal,Lucille.

It's not TRYING to hold a candle to Harryhausen.  The Astron-6 guys, who made Manborg, knew exactly what they were making.  It's a VERY comedic take on the types of movies that were inexplicably popular in the 80's.  I feel like you are assuming, from the trailer, that it was an ACTUAL attempt at making a serious movie, but failed miserably.  If anything, that speaks to how good it is - they created something that fits the time and mood of the movies that they were poking fun at.  Would you call Black Dynamite a bad movie because some of the dialogue is corny and the boom mike keeps popping in?  No, it was intentional as an homage to Blaxploitation flicks that actually HAD that happen...

Im NOT attacking MANBORG-I was merley stating is Harryhausens classic. And this thread should be in GOOD movies-and a flash in the pan direct to video thing should be in BAD movies. OH-and most spoofs are just that-SPOOFS! Im talkng classic fantasy films here-not a Saterday Night Live smug spoof made by punks who can be my kids.

PS-never seen BLACK DYNAMITE-seen IM GONNA GET YOU SUCKER and AIRPLANE.
I'll give MANBORG a try-I might like it! But it still aint Harryhausen. I dont dislike MANBORG-I just love Harryhausen.
And yer right-I judged a movie before I seen it. I might even like MANBORG-but as a whole I dont like "spoofs". I'll give it a spin. We good?
And I aint apoligizing. Harryhausen trumps most ANYTHING.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:03:26 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
JayJayM12
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »

Of course we're good!  I always enjoy your posts!  Like I said in my post, 'spoof' is actually not really a good word for it.  It's more of an homage.  The humor comes pretty organically I'd say.

And, you're right - Harryhausen should DEFINITELY be in the good flicks section!  Going to a Harryhausen tribute screening of Clash of the Titans, Jason & The Argonauts and a surprise title this weekend, in fact.  Can't wait!

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 11:13:59 AM »

Of course we're good!  I always enjoy your posts!  Like I said in my post, 'spoof' is actually not really a good word for it.  It's more of an homage.  The humor comes pretty organically I'd say.

And, you're right - Harryhausen should DEFINITELY be in the good flicks section!  Going to a Harryhausen tribute screening of Clash of the Titans, Jason & The Argonauts and a surprise title this weekend, in fact.  Can't wait!
Sounds like a good time! Have fun,brother! Cheers

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
JayJayM12
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »

Thanks, man! Cheers

WingedSerpent

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 09:45:46 PM »

Valley of Gwangi is a good one.  One of the highlights is the scene where the cowboys rope Gwangi.  Harryhausen had to match their ropes to the model. It was the little details like that, which make for immersion into the world easier.  

Also I give Ray credit for using some not quite as famous prehistoric animals in his movies.  Everyone expects- Tyrannosaurs, pterodactyls, sauropods, and ceratopids.      But Valley of Gwangi has an Eohippus-a prehistoric horse, and a Strithiomimus.  Probably not that high on a lot of favorites list.  One Million Years B.C has a giant sea turtle called an archelon show up.  Fun fact: One of the cavemen calls this creature by its actual name
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:49:03 PM by WingedSerpent » Logged

316zombie
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 08:55:05 PM »

my personal fave is the snake lady, i think it's in golden voyage of sinbad?
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2013, 01:21:28 PM »

316Z, if you are thinking about the snake lady that turned men into stone, then you are probably thinking of "Clash of the Titans" from 1981. "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" had a centaur, a griffin, and a multi-armed statue in it, my favorite special effect, but I don't remember a snake lady being in it.
WingedSerpent

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »

316Z, if you are thinking about the snake lady that turned men into stone, then you are probably thinking of "Clash of the Titans" from 1981. "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" had a centaur, a griffin, and a multi-armed statue in it, my favorite special effect, but I don't remember a snake lady being in it.

Maybe your talking about the Snake Dancer from The 7th Voyage of Sinbad

Small | Large

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ray Harryhausen's Hit list « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.