Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:47:15 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Watched a Couple of Entertaining Films Friday night . . . . « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Watched a Couple of Entertaining Films Friday night . . . .  (Read 3029 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: April 06, 2013, 09:11:45 PM »

While my family watched RISE OF THE GUARDIANS, I sat in here at the PC and churned out most of a chapter on my new novel.  Then, after they went to bed, I treated myself to a B-movie double feature!  The first one was a new arrival that caught my attention on the shelves at Hastings - it was called 13 EERIE (2013).  Zombie flicks are a dime a dozen these days, but this one was a pretty solid zombie offering.  Six forensic pathology students are taken by their professor out to a remote island that was once the site of a Southern penitentary where some unsavory government experiments allegedly took place.  The bus driver is a former convict who tries to tell them (of course), that this site has some bad mojo.  Once they get to the island, the professor has concealed three decomposing corpses at various remote sites.  They are to examine the corpses in the field and determine time and probable cause of death, while the prof watches them through remote cameras.  Problem is, there are more than three corpses on the island - and the others are still up and walking!  A very solid, gory zombie flick with excellent special effects, this one could have had a theatrical run, I think.  The forensic pathology was an original touch, and the reanimated convict zombies are pretty terrifying!  Also, there as NO CGI!!!!  If you're a zombie fan, you need to see this one!

After 13 EERIE, I watched a truly bizarre flick called JOHN DIES AT THE END.  I have to give this one a thumbs up for originality.  I had NO idea what was going to happen next at any moment!  Granted, it was late and I was very tired, but I stayed up late in order to see the end of this one.  The plot centers around a bizarre new drug called "Soy Sauce" that gives its users a trip out of this world . . . problem is, some of them do not come back as human! So it is up to two college drop outs and a famous self help guru to save the world from a parasitic species that is infesting humanity through this bizarre drug.  This film has some big names in it - Paul Giamatti for one - and constantly leaves you guessing as to what will happen next.  It has some true "huh"?? moments in it, but honestly, it didn't make a great deal of sense to me.  However, my extreme fatigue when I watched it may account for some of that.  I would definitely give it another try.  Anyone else seen it?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:09:12 PM »

The trailer for John Dies At The End looked pretty funny, but I haven't got around to watching it, yet.  Yet another in the ever-increasing list!  Good to know that you (seemed!) to like it, that's a fair recommendation in itself.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
claws
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 01:49:24 AM »

13 Eerie has been getting the buzz lately. I'm really interested in checking it out since it also stars Katharine Isabelle who recently blew me away with American Mary (2012).
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 12:13:14 PM »

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I loved the book John Dies at the End.

In the book, the plot is very much secondary to a whole lot of improbable, yet crudely hilarious, paranormal happenings. The book is laugh-out-loud funny. I highly recommend it. There's a sequel which is a bit more conventional story-wise (there is one), called This Book Is Full of Spiders (Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It).

I also like that Don Coscarelli. He's not an amazing director or anything, but he sure does tackle some interesting subject matters.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Watched a Couple of Entertaining Films Friday night . . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.