Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:37:41 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (1980) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (1980)  (Read 9258 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: April 07, 2013, 08:09:12 AM »

OK-I just watched one of the most sick films Ive ever seen-CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST. I can deal with gore and guts and cannibalism. Not a problem! What I cant deal with is rape and REAL animal murder. This movie is just plain SICK! The clip Im about to show is one of the tamer parts. I have never see a film so depraved since the original I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE.  I gave this movie to someone-and I just got it in the mail yesterday. Some places I cant-WONT go.

WARNING!
NSFW!!!! Or anywhere else!

Small | Large

Small | Large

Tese clips dont even come close to how this movie seared my soul. I dont think it should be "banned in 39 countries" as the ads claim-because I think censorship is Nazism-but this is evil s**t.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:50:40 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:46:18 AM »

I thought Cannibal Holocaust didn't come anywhere near living up to its reputation.  It was kind of boring.  It has more people walking around in the woods than anyone could possibly stand.  The documentary crew is so over-the-top they're impossible to take seriously as villains.  The animal killings are really the only thing that gives this movie any punch, but they also ruin it in a couple of ways.  In the more obvious one, the slaughter of the animals makes it impossible to enjoy the movie on any level.  After that possum got its throat cut early on, Cannibal Holocaust became nothing but an endurance test for me.  In a second, perhaps less obvious, way, the real gore of the animal butchering takes away any possible impact the fake gore (like the woman speared through her ass) might have had.

I suppose this movie deserves its infamy but it certainly isn't a classic or a must-see, in my opinion.  The best of the Italian cannibal movies is Deodato's earlier Ultimo Mondo Cannibale.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
pizdatrica
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »

I really like the movie because of many things and it is one of my top 10 most fave movies. Aside from the gore rape animal murders, if you are able to look past all that, it shows a very good sociological message.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 01:50:21 PM »

I thought Cannibal Holocaust didn't come anywhere near living up to its reputation. 

I agree.  I think I heard so much hype about it that when I finally saw it, I didn't have much impact on me.  But I bought a copy anyway!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 04:00:58 PM »

only watched it once, over 15 yrs ago. to be honest I only remember once scene, and vaguely at that. its status as a kind of a "dude, you HAVE to watch THIS!" type of movie is the only reason I checked it out. I'm surprised you'd never seen it before, RC.

don't let it put you off CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE which is actually pretty good. (I don't even think they're connected)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
voltron

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 06:12:33 PM »

don't let it put you off CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE which is actually pretty good. (I don't even think they're connected)
I agree. Cannibal Apocalypse is pretty cool. Better than Cannibal Holocaust if you ask me. Plus the girl playing Mary is HOT!  Smile

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Bushma

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »

This is one of the films I have heard LOTS about but never actually seen.  I'm worried after reading everything I have about this I'm going to be really disappointed in the end.  I think it's going to live up to it's reputation.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 12:58:07 AM »

My thoughts are contained in my review on here: I liked a bit of the film, hated most of it.

www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,136045.0.html  Buggedout Twirling TongueOut

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 08:03:02 AM »

I didn't like the animal cruelty scenes, especially the big nice turtle, but I thought it was a home run of a horror movie.
pizdatrica
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 10:17:41 AM »

I didn't like the animal cruelty scenes, especially the big nice turtle, but I thought it was a home run of a horror movie.

thank goodness I'm not the only one who loves the movie.
claws
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 11:42:20 AM »

Well, for what it's worth, I think Cannibal Holocaust is one of the greatest Grindhouse flicks ever made.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »

THe guts and gore didnt bother me-it was the animal murder and rape that bothered me. People wer getting raped through this waaay too much for my stomach. And the animal butchery-I mean,if its done for food-ok. But for an exploitation film? No. Not good. I DID enjoy CANNIBAL APOCOLYPSE and even HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD more. This movie was just gross.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Torgo

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 01:01:45 PM »

While being one of the most important horror films of all time, the actual animal killings in the film are completely reprehensible and shouldn't have been included. While I realize that they actually ate the creatures that were killed on camera, it just takes the movie into another realm that it didn't quite ever recover from for me. But as the great grandaddy of the found footage genre, it must be seen at least once.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »

I think in the 70's they didn't have the concepts of animal rights the way people do today.
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 10:15:52 PM »

I think they went for the rape and animal killing precisely because gore doesn't have much effect on people anymore.  Back in the day gore was shocking.  As people became desensitized to it horror movies that wanted to stand out needed something new.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (1980) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.