Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:04:11 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What three Vincent Price movies would you pick... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What three Vincent Price movies would you pick...  (Read 12098 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 12:52:12 AM »

I agree with all the choices thus far but here's three others:

1. HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS
2. THE JACKALS (Vincent Price in a South African western?  Question)
3. THE FLY

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 03:57:57 AM »

All good choices,Trev-I ll add -
.THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM-"No one shall ever enter this room again."My brother Mike-when I was a little kid in 1969 pushed me in the closet and locked it-and he screamed that line-I was terrified.
.The TINGLER-Vinnie freaks out on an acid trip.
.actually-Ive never seen a Vincent Price movie I didnt Like! ALL his movies-no matter how corny--were made good just by him being in them! he was an (as Jon Lovitt would say) an AC-TOR!!!!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 06:09:23 AM »

.actually-Ive never seen a Vincent Price movie I didnt Like! ALL his movies-no matter how corny--were made good just by him being in them! he was an (as Jon Lovitt would say) an AC-TOR!!!!

EVERYTHING is better with Vincent Price!   Thumbup

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 06:18:00 AM »

All good choices,Trev-I ll add -
.THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM-"No one shall ever enter this room again."My brother Mike-when I was a little kid in 1969 pushed me in the closet and locked it-and he screamed that line-I was terrified.

Buggedout Buggedout

The only trouble that The Jackals ever caused me was when I was carrying its' 35mm reels around and I dropped two of them on my foot.  Buggedout TeddyR

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 06:26:37 AM »

The Haunted Palace has always been a favorite of mine.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flangepart

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »

For me, there three traits of Vincent that I dig.
The unique voice. Even Rick Little had a bear of a time mimicking him

The sense of fun he could bring to an outrageous role. Never took his business too seriously.

And the moustache. Not a lot of guys can pull that one off.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Eye-gor Frankensteen
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 10:02:26 AM »

For me, there three traits of Vincent that I dig.
The unique voice. Even Rick Little had a bear of a time mimicking him

The sense of fun he could bring to an outrageous role. Never took his business too seriously.

And the moustache. Not a lot of guys can pull that one off.

His voice is like none other and he can narrate the crap out of anything. One of my favs is his narration in the Burton short Vincent. Of course his one man show in an Evening With Edgar Alan Poe is great too.

Another trait I love, those eye brows! He could arch those babies for any emotion he wanted, even for a laugh.

"Please don't interrupt me whilst I am soliloquizing." ~ Lionel Grisbane
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 12:44:04 PM »

All of these are great choices. To me Vincent Price was a cinematic treasure. And do try and find "A Comedy of Terrors"....his sense of humor is wicked! His cameo in "Edward Scissorhands" was small and quite sad.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Jitters
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 04:21:10 PM »

My boyfriend is new to the B-movie horror scene, and alas I am no expert, but not a novice either. We recently watched Tales of Terror through amazon prime and he liked it. He wants to see more Vincent Price. This weekend we're going to watch three movies starring the classic actor himself.  Which three would, and in what order do you think is good to break in a newbie?

My thoughts so far...

The House on Haunted Hill
House of Wax
House of Usher

Then maybe more like The Abomidable Dr Phibes and The Tingler

If anyone has better suggestion, i'm open.  thanks

This is a very good list to start with, actually.  It kind of depends on what your boyfriend likes.  The Tingler is a blast.  Some of my other favorites are Pit & the Pendulum, Last Man on Earth.

Another lesser seen but very entertaining one is The Mad Magician that features Price in a variety of disguises and impersonations.

Have fun!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »

Vincent Price makes better whatever he's in. Sure at times he can be quite hammy but usually in a good and fun way. Completely agree with akiratubo's picks Theater of Blood, Abominable Dr. Phibes and Witchfinder General as his best films. Also quite good are The Pit and the Pendulum, The Masque of the Red Death, The Tomb of Ligeia and House of Wax. He's terrific fun in The Raven and House on Haunted Hill too. One I personally like that rarely seems to get mentioned featuring him is Diary of a Madman.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
skuts
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 12:02:51 PM »

Laura; Shock; Dragonwyck

Babies taste best.
Eye-gor Frankensteen
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 10:17:22 AM »

I let him pick out from your replies which we would watch first...

1. House of Wax
2. House on Haunted Hill
The third we wanted Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine, but decided to go with the free movies on Amazon Prime or Netflix so it's between Witchfinder General, The Raven, or Theater of Blood

Thanks again for your help!

"Please don't interrupt me whilst I am soliloquizing." ~ Lionel Grisbane
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 01:55:38 PM »

Why stop at 3? For those looking for something w/ Price in 'em, here are 11 more that have yet to be mentioned, I believe.

3 Best Performances
Champagne for Caesar
and the game show craze of the '50's.

ronald colman -- celeste holm -- art linkletter (in one of his few big screen appearances) -- and the voice of Mel Blanc.

His Kind of Woman
Price goes south to Mexico and finds trouble. W/

robert mitchum, as the hero -- jane russell, as the heroine -- raymond burr, as the villain -- and tim holt -- charles mcgraw -- jim backus -- anthony caruso -- robert cornthwaite -- mamie van doren -- and paul frees.

Whales of August
I was going to mention "Dragonwyck," but that has already been mentioned, so w/ , , ,

bette davis -- lillian gish -- ann sothern -- mary steenburgen -- and harry carey, jr.

3 most unusual films
House of the Seven Gables
He sings. He plays the piano. He doesn't dance, but for once, he plays the hero. W/

george sanders, as the villain -- margaret lindsay, as the heroine -- dick foran -- cecil kellaway -- and alan napier.

Baron of Arizona
Trevor mentioned "The Jackals," which was based on the American western "Yellow Sky," but Price made a surprising number of westers. This is probably his best and is  based on a true story. W/

ellen drew -- and beulah bondi.

The Big Circus
Think of it as the poor man's  version of "The Greatest Show on Earth." W/

price as the ringmaster and red herring -- peter lorre as a clown (There's a scary thought.) -- victor mature as the circus owner -- gilbert roland as the aerialist -- and red buttons -- rhonda fleming -- david nelson (Yes, that david nelson) -- and steve allen in a cameo.

3 best non-horror films
Are not the films in which he starred, but in which he co-starred with alot of other co-stars. Surprisingly, or maybe not, all are inspirational in nature. Not so surprisingly, he plays a somewhat villainous character in all 3.

The Keys of the Kingdom
gregory peck in his 1st big role -- thomas mitchell -- roddy mcdowell -- peggy ann garner -- edmund gwenn -- sir cedric hardwicke -- james gleason -- anne revere -- benson fong -- philip ahn -- richard loo -- arthur shields -- sara allgood -- and dennis hoey.

Song of Bernadette

jennifer jones -- charles bickford -- lee j. cobb -- gladys cooper -- ann revere -- sig ruman -- blanche yurka -- jerome cowan -- alan napier -- ian wolfe -- and linda darnell as the Virgin Mary.

The Ten Commandments (1956)

charlton heston -- yul brynner -- anne baxter -- edward g. robinson -- yvonne de carlo -- debra paget -- john derek -- sir cedric hardwicke -- nina foch -- martha scott -- dame judith andersen -- john carradine -- douglas dumbrille -- frank dekova -- henry wilcoxon -- h. b. warner -- Woody strode -- henry brandon -- mike (touch) connors -- clint walker -- and fraser clarke heston as the baby Moses.

And before they became famous . . .

herb alpert -- michael ansara -- richard farnsworth -- robert fuller -- jon peters -- and robert vaughan.

They knew how to cast a film in the days of old.

A final two fun films

Tower of London (1939)
Price got an early start in horror, and he got off to a good start. W/

basil rathbone as richard iii -- boris karloff as mord, the baldheadedand clubfooted executioner -- and mr. waverley himself leo g. carroll as lord hastings.

Casanova's Big Night
Price has little more than a cameo as the title main character, but . . . while not everyone plays a villain, this film probably has the greatest cast of villainous actors ever gathered for one film. W/

bob hope as the hero -- joan fontaine as the heroine -- and basil rathbone -- arnold moss -- john carradine -- john hoyt -- hope emerson -- raymond burr -- primo carnera -- frank puglia -- paul cavanagh -- henry brandon -- douglas fowley -- nestor pavia -- skelton knagg and lon chaney, jr. virtually unrecognizable behind the facial hair.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 07:20:08 PM »

I'd also suggest trying to track down his guest apperance on the Muppet Show.  he was actually pretty cool there too.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 01:37:23 AM »

I forgot about Diary of a Madman: creepy stuff with the unseen killer that calls Vincent Price's character "Magistrit"  TeddyR

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What three Vincent Price movies would you pick... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.