Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:17:41 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Boston gets Bombed! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Boston gets Bombed!  (Read 13492 times)
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« on: April 15, 2013, 05:34:48 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/15/boston-marathon-explosion_n_3086665.html
Two explosions rocked the Boston Marathon near the finish line, causing multiple casualties and sending the city into chaos. Another explosion occurred at the JFK Library, but authorities were unsure if the incidents were linked.

The blasts downtown in Copley Square occurred just before 3:00 p.m., according to MyFoxBoston.

The number of casualties changed rapidly throughout the afternoon. Two people were killed and twenty-three others were injured, according to a preliminary statement from the Boston Police Department. The number rose to more than 100 injured shortly after 5 p.m., the Boston Globe reported.

The first blast filled a spectator gallery near the finish line with a gray cloud of smoke. Screaming witnesses immediately fled the area. Ten seconds later, a second explosion jolted the crowd.

Streets reserved exclusively for runners filled with emergency crews, as first responders climbed fences to reach wounded athletes and spectators. Flags from nations represented in the race were thrown to the ground

Medical tents set up for runners are being used to treat individuals with injuries.

Police chief Ed Davis said that a third incident took place at the JFK Library in Boston.

"We are not sure if these incidents are related, but we are treating them as if they are," he said.

An unexploded device was also recovered, Davis said.

More than 27,000 runners participated in this year's Marathon, which takes places every year on Patriot's Day, a state holiday in Massachusetts.

BOSTON — .Two bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing two people and injuring at least 23 others in a terrifying scene of broken glass, smoke and severed limbs, authorities said.

A third blast rocked the John F. Kennedy Library several miles away and more than an hour later, but no injuries were reported, police said. A senior U.S. intelligence official said two other explosive devices were found near the marathon finish line.

There was no immediate word on the motive or who may have launched the attack and authorities in Washington said there was no immediate claim of responsibility. Some 27,000 runners took part in the 26.2-mile race, one of the world's premier marathons.

The twin blasts at the race took place almost simultaneously and about 100 yards apart, tearing limbs off numerous people, knocking spectators and at least one runner off their feet, shattering windows and sending smoke rising over the street.

As people wailed in agony, bloody spectators were carried to a medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.

Cellphone service was shut down in the Boston area to prevent any possible remote detonations of explosives, a law enforcement official said. The official was speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.

Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis asked people to stay indoors or go back to their hotel rooms and avoid crowds as bomb squads checked parcels and bags left along the race route.

The Federal Aviation Administration barred low-flying aircraft from within 3.5 miles of the site.

"There are people who are really, really bloody," said Laura McLean, a runner from Toronto, who was in the medical tent being treated for dehydration when she was pulled out to make room for victims of the explosions. "They were pulling them into the medical tent."

About two hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another explosion could be heard a few seconds later.

The Boston Marathon said that bombs caused the two explosions and that organizers were working with authorities to determine what happened. The Boston Police Department said two people were killed and 23 others injured. At least eight of the wounded were in critical condition, according to hospitals.

A senior U.S. intelligence official said the two other explosive devices found nearby were being dismantled. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the findings publicly.

A third explosion was heard about an hour after the first two after authorities warned spectators to expect a loud noise from a water cannon that police apparently were using to destroy one of the devices.

Competitors and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos. Authorities went onto the course to carry away the injured while race stragglers were rerouted away from the smoking site.

Roupen Bastajian, a 35-year-old state trooper from Smithfield, R.I., had just finished the race when they put the heat blanket wrap on him and he heard the first blast.

"I started running toward the blast. And there were people all over the floor," he said. "We started grabbing tourniquets and started tying legs. A lot of people amputated. ... At least 25 to 30 people have at least one leg missing, or an ankle missing, or two legs missing."

A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.

"There are a lot of people down," said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg.

Smoke rose from the blasts, fluttering through the national flags lining the route of the world's oldest and most prestigious marathon. TV helicopter footage showed blood staining the pavement in the popular shopping and tourist area known as the Back Bay.

Cherie Falgoust was waiting for her husband, who was running the race.

"I was expecting my husband any minute," she said. "I don't know what this building is ... it just blew. Just a big bomb, a loud boom, and then glass everywhere. Something hit my head. I don't know what it was. I just ducked."

Runners who had not finished the race were diverted straight down Commonwealth Avenue and into a family meeting area, according to an emergency plan that had been in place.

President Barack Obama was briefed on the explosions by Homeland Security adviser Lisa Monaco. Obama also told Mayor Tom Menino and Gov. Deval Patrick that his administration would provide whatever support was needed, the White House said.

yeah no.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:49:29 PM »

been following all day.

definitely wait till they get real substantiated info on this one folks.
Bushma
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:12:34 PM »

Yeah, I was listening to the news the last few hours and after nothing "new" I figured it was time to wait until more information became available.  I'll check again before bed, and again in the morning.  Damn shame, and I hope the investigation leads to something quickly.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 10:03:05 PM »

Still too early to point fingers, but the most recent report says 3 confirmed dead and 113 injured.  That's horrific, but it sounds as if it could have been even worse.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:49:07 AM »

All I can say is  Bluesad

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 02:55:54 AM »

Not entirely similar, but it reminds me of the Centennial Olympic Park bombing during the 1996 games in Atlanta.  I was there just days before the incident which killed 2 and injured 111.  3 pipe bombs in a field pack with nails was discovered but went off before security could get everyone out of there.  The psycho that placed the bombs (Eric Robert Rudolph, who also bombed 2 abortion clinics and a nightclub) is still serving consecutive life sentences without parole.  But like the Boston bombing, it sure could have been a lot worse. 

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:03:02 AM »

The last NYC marathon was cancelled because of Sandy, so this might have been meant for that? That was someones speculation.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »

Those nut jobs at Westboro said that they will spread hate by picketing the bombing victims, Anonymous replied to this:

yeah no.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 08:14:58 PM »

The police here won't protect them. I can't explain, it's a very old city
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 10:07:12 PM »

One day hell is going to open up and swallow WBC and all its members, and I think most REAL churches will probably break into cheers when it happens!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 08:00:35 AM »

One day hell is going to open up and swallow WBC and all its members, and I think most REAL churches will probably break into cheers when it happens!

Nah man, I think that someone or some group would burn down WBC housing, claiming that God made them do it, a middle finger to how f**ked up WBC is.

yeah no.
Bushma

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 10:19:02 AM »

Along with the WBC, can we also get rid of all of the conspiracy thumpers? 

<Sarcasm font> Apparently it as all a plot of the Government! </Sarcasm Font>

Alex Jones, a right-wing radio host, took to Twitter to express his sympathy for the victims—and to claim that the attack was part of a government conspiracy.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/false-flag-alex-jones-boston-marathon-bombing-family-231742713.html

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »

I don't know much about WBC, but have they ever explained what good they believe they are doing by picketing the funerals of fallen military personnel, and now with this threat to picket the funerals of those killed in Boston? What are they hoping to achieve? I am mystified by the motivations of these individuals and fail to comprehend how they can see their own actions as anything but depravity.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 03:50:01 PM »

And today, a bomb threat at the Federal Courthouse in Boston.  I've been watching the local news and listening to local talk radio all day.  So many opinions, so many screwy theories, so much misinformation (from local and national media).  What a mess.  But I'm proud to live in Massachusetts.  And those WBC folks would be smart to stay away.  There are plenty of salty Italian and Irish guys in Boston who won't tolerate WBC nonsense for more than 30 seconds.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 04:30:25 PM »

Just got through listening to the story on NPR, or National Public Radio, less than three hours ago, and the police have a suspect in the case, who was caught by security cameras, leaving behind the package that contained the bomb. No more information on the suspect. That may come out in the FBI press conference that is to be held later today.

And because the London Marathon is this weekend, British law enforcement is stepping up security, including thinking about banning all non-runners from the area around the finish line. They are also coordinating with their counterparts here in the U.S. to prevent something similiar from happening in London.

More info as it happens.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Boston gets Bombed! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.