Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:51:33 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Die Farbe (2010), aka The Color Out of Space « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Die Farbe (2010), aka The Color Out of Space  (Read 4470 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: April 16, 2013, 04:44:08 AM »

Die Farbe is a low-budget German film that is an adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's "The Colour Out of Space."

Basic plot set-up, a young man's father, a WWII vet, has returned to Germany and promptly disappears. He travels to Germany to find him and is caught up in a troubling story involving a meteorite falling near a German farm and the disturbing incidents that happen afterwards.

So this is probably the most faithful adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's classic story. I'm assuming you're familiar with this story, because you're on this website. And if you're not, read it right now. And then go on and read the rest of H.P. Lovecraft. You will love it.

Now it is a very low-budget affair, and it is German. It's also in black and white, although that stylistic choice does pay off. I did say it is the most faithful adaptation of the story, and I'm going to go ahead and say it is the best. Certainly better than The Curse.

Certainly not a perfect film. It is rather slow, but if you're familiar with Lovecraft, that shouldn't be a surprise. I also got a bit of laughs from the fact that it is a German production that features several American backdrop characters. The main character, the son of the WWII vet, is supposedly an American, but is played by an actor with a pronounced German accent. The same thing happened with another movie I watched recently, Juan of the Dead, where a supposed American is played by a guy with a very obvious Cuban accent. I guess it doesn't really matter when most of your audience doesn't speak English. It actually makes me quite curious as to how often this happens in American movies. I would say it happens all the time. Makes me wonder if the main actor affected a "German with American accent" for his role. If he did, hooray! I'm guessing it is probably lost on everybody.

At any rate, this production understands the original story and plays it straight and succeeds. I've seen a lot of Lovecraft inspired movies, and they are almost always awful. This one is really good. There's a bit at the ending which is unnecessary, but, eh, movie adaptations. If you like H.P. Lovecraft, make it a point to see this movie.

It actually may be a bit difficult. Doesn't seem to have any sort of release strategy. I found it on Amazon Instant. It doesn't seem to be on anywhere else easier to see, unless you count the way the internet works.

At any rate, if you are a Lovecraft fan, this film should be immediately placed on your short-list of films to find. If you are not a Lovecraft fan, go to Hell. I'm disappointed in you.

Final aside, this page is the one that recommended the film to me, and I agree with all of the films mentioned. (Well, The Shrine is a bit iffy.)

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:19:05 AM »

This actually turned up at our Hasting's store last fall and I watched it.  Your impression pretty well summed it up for me, too.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Archivist

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:20:36 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm a huge Lovecraft fan.  Have been since I read Dagon and Other Weird Tales in 1986.  And I agree, just about all the other Lovecraft movies are awful!  Cheers

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 07:56:15 AM »

At any rate, if you are a Lovecraft fan, this film should be immediately placed on your short-list of films to find. If you are not a Lovecraft fan, go to Hell. I'm disappointed in you.

TeddyR

In 1985, I brought the girl I was dating to see RE-ANIMATOR at the theater.  While there, we happened to run into a friend of hers with her date.

Neither of the girls had ever heard of HP Lovecraft.  "He writes horror?  Oh, so he's like Stephen King, then?"  There we were in line, with the two guys trying to explain the style of Lovecraft and doing a literary 'compare and contrast' with King.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:24:37 AM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Archivist

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 12:00:06 AM »

Re-Animator?  My Dad and uncle saw that on VHS back in the day.  Reportedly, my uncle was so sickened that he had to make an abrupt visit to the toilet.  I hope your dates went better than that!

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Die Farbe (2010), aka The Color Out of Space « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.