Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:47:27 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Incredible Melting Man (1977) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Incredible Melting Man (1977)  (Read 3096 times)
Gst0395
« on: April 22, 2013, 02:37:08 PM »

I just watched a MST3K version of this film today. I've heard this film was meant to be really terrible, but based on what I saw it wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be. I thought there was a fair amount of tension throughout and the special effects by Rick Baker were pretty well-done. As for the acting, it was pretty average at best but I've seen much worse. I just hated how many of the killing was off-screen, and the constant pacing through the dark forest where I couldn't seen what the hell was going on at times. I probably would have stopped watching if it wasn't for Mike and the Bots. I'm actually surprised they got away with the gore scenes in the MST3K, especially the severed head splattering on a rock. I've heard a few instances of violent content getting cut on the show. I guess the film is 5/10 overall, not quite as horrible as I expected. A pretty typical 70s horror flick with a somewhat original plot that almost reminds me of the horrible Monster-a-Go-Go, an astronaut getting launched into space and coming down as a mutated monster that kills people.

It is pretty interesting that over here in the UK, the film was originally an AA rating (now known as 15) by the BBFC upon it's 1977 release, but they later changed it to an 18 rating on home video during the 80s, really due to the infamous "video nasties" controversy at the time. At least that's what the BBFC told me when I contacted them. Watching the film itself, it does seem fairly violent for the time but nowhere near on the levels of a video nasty, but I can still understand the rating. It would easily be a 15 by today's standards.
Pilgermann
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 11:04:37 PM »

I've got the movie on VHS, I actually really dig it.  It's bad, but enjoyably so, and I dig the goopy creature.  There's a Blu-ray of the film coming out in the US pretty soon!

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:34:54 PM »

I dunno, I thought it was indeed pretty bad.  It got marginally better during the latter third of the film, but I still didn't really care much for it.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
claws
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 01:43:13 AM »

I just watched a MST3K version of this film today. I just hated how many of the killing was off-screen,

Didn't they always censor explicit gore and nudity on those MST3K shows?

I've actually seen The Incredible Melting Man at the Drive-In (not during it's original Theatrical run) and it was quite the experience. The movie is indeed bad but in an entertaining sort of way I think. You get great f/x and a slasher-like plot.That's enough to make me happy Smile I'm looking forward to the Scream Factory Blu-ray  Cheers
Gst0395
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:50:37 AM »

I think there was a nude photo shoot in Melting Man that was cut. Most if not all the gore scenes seemed to be intact though. There have been some instances of gory or sexual stuff being cut from films shown on MST3K. "The Horror of Party Beach" did have some rather bloody scenes cut, though the copy they stumbled upon was probably a censored TV print. I also believe there was a rape scene in "The Sidehackers" that was cut out when shown on MST3K.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 10:38:34 AM »

I think there was a nude photo shoot in Melting Man that was cut. Most if not all the gore scenes seemed to be intact though. There have been some instances of gory or sexual stuff being cut from films shown on MST3K. "The Horror of Party Beach" did have some rather bloody scenes cut, though the copy they stumbled upon was probably a censored TV print. I also believe there was a rape scene in "The Sidehackers" that was cut out when shown on MST3K.
I also remember them cutting out Joe Don Baker crushing somebody's head with a rock in Mitchell.  Then they later made a joke about that character mysteriously missing later in the show.
Gst0395
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 11:26:03 AM »

I also remember them cutting out Joe Don Baker crushing somebody's head with a rock in Mitchell.  Then they later made a joke about that character mysteriously missing later in the show.
That sounds pretty brutal. I know that scene is cut but I suddenly have the urge to watch that episode. I heard Joe Don Baker threatened the show members after it was released. I'd take my film being MST3K'd as a badge of honor to be honest.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Incredible Melting Man (1977) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.