Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:48:07 PM
713352 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Odd DVD Movie Packs « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Odd DVD Movie Packs  (Read 3068 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: April 21, 2013, 07:14:35 PM »

Saw this DVD on sale at the grocery store the other day.

It's a typical "let's put a bunch of movies together" cheapo DVD. It's got some good movies (From Dusk Till Dawn), some cheesy movies (Subspecies), and The Reflecting Skin.

Wait, what?

The Reflecting Skin is a very odd, moody film; one that does not fit comfortably in neither horror nor arthouse. For years it was almost impossible to find, as there was no official DVD release. A few years ago a DVD was released, and now here it is proudly sitting next to Castle Freak. (Note: I actually like Castle Freak.) Guess I can replace my VHS copy.

Pretty amusing. "Hey, these all say 'horror' in the catalog. Let's slap 'em on a DVD and sell them at the discount rack at Fry's."

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Gst0395
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 02:40:13 PM »

Christopher Walken is in From Dusk Til Dawn? I never knew that. I've actually been meaning to see that movie for a while considering how much I loved Planet Terror. Lookingup
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 10:09:38 PM »

If you look at the mini posters on the side he's not even one of the top billed on most of them. It was like the company was like, "well s**t, we have all these movies we can release at once, but how do we connect them"?

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 11:05:52 PM »

What's the quality like in that set? There's some pretty good films there. Suspect they'd be overpixelated though putting 4 movies on DVD each I presume?

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
claws
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 01:54:15 AM »

I've own the German Reflecting Skin Blu-ray (Region Free) for some time, and there's a UK Blu of Castle Freak. As for this set, Dracula 2000 and The Prophecy are both badly cropped/zoomed incorrect aspect ratio transfers, which is a shame. Other than that this looks like an interesting collection if you don't mind the already mentioned bad transfers and the fact that those movies are also available on Blu-ray.
Gst0395
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 06:44:36 AM »

If you look at the mini posters on the side he's not even one of the top billed on most of them. It was like the company was like, "well s**t, we have all these movies we can release at once, but how do we connect them"?
That's pretty much it. Very slapped together set. Maybe giving it a Vampire-like name would have made more sense instead of using Christopher Walken's. But hang on, wasn't it Christopher LEE who mostly played vampies? This whole thing confuses me. Question
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 08:40:55 AM »

As far as I know, "The Prophecy" is the only one of those that Walken is actually in. Of course, in that one, he's *great*.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 02:22:33 PM »

I have some of these sets that companies like EchoBridge put out and generally think their a great way to add to your collection without spending much money. That one you pictured actually looks pretty damn solid and I would totally grab it if I saw it. More often than not you find these 8 movie packs called 'The Midnight Collection" which feature an unholy mix of full moon crap like Puppet Master Sequels and Evil Bong, with some amateur shot flicks and occasionally something with actual production value in there. I may very well be guilty of buying some of these sets and I may have attempted to watch Evil Bong I must admit.
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »

BounceGiggle Oh come on, really? People remember when Walken appears in something and when he doesn't.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Gst0395
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »

I've just looked at the cast for "From Dusk Til Dawn" and Christopher Walken is NOWHERE to be seen. Seriously, who puts together these boxsets? I wouldn't be surprised if most of these movies don't feature him in the cast. I find it really bizarre that they'd name a film boxset after Christopher Walken but feature movies that don't even have him.

Well scratch that, I've just looked on Amazon and it's actually known as "8-Film Contemporary Cult Classics". Walken's name on the top is really misleading though. Question
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 04:20:20 PM »

I've just looked at the cast for "From Dusk Til Dawn" and Christopher Walken is NOWHERE to be seen. Seriously, who puts together these boxsets? I wouldn't be surprised if most of these movies don't feature him in the cast. I find it really bizarre that they'd name a film boxset after Christopher Walken but feature movies that don't even have him.

I don't think they meant to give the impression that Walken is in all of them (although they seem to have done so accidentally), they just gave him top billing of all the actors in all of the films in the set.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 09:56:10 PM »

The cheap DVD rack in my local Shop Rite supermarket is loaded with these "Horror Classics" multi-packs. Echo Bridge Entertainment recently struck up a deal with Miramax/Dimension for a large chunk of their catalog and they're re-packaging them for all they're worth. More than once I've seen the same movie included in more than one set, which is annoying. If I buy a couple of these I don't want to have the same movies repeated throughout.

I do, however, feel like a schmuck for laying out five bucks apiece for Echo Bridge's stand-alone discs of "Hellraiser III" and "Halloween H20" recently because for the same price I can now get "Halloween Collection" and "Hellraiser Collection" DVD sets with a whole bunch of the series in them for the same price. D'oh!!

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Odd DVD Movie Packs « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.