Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:33:07 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Evil Dead 2 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Evil Dead 2  (Read 8700 times)
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« on: April 22, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »

The lady and I watched Evil Dead 2 yesterday.

This was actually less like a remake and more like a sequel than I remembered. The first five minutes or so give a "Cliff's notes" version of Evil Dead, and from then on it's new events.

The tone is definitely shifted to lighter and campier, but it's still far more of a horror film than Army of Darkness. There's still plenty of gruesome to go around.

Drink

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 02:30:44 PM »

You know, for the longest time I didn't actually get the "cliff notes" part.  Obviously it wasn't a remake either  It had "2" in the title. 

The conclusion I came to was that for some reason Ash came BACK to the cabin after the events of the first movie.  ... with another girlfriend that had the same name as the first one.  ... Shut up.  It made sense to me at the time. 

Gst0395
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:39:03 PM »

Are the Evil Dead films worth watching? I haven't seen many zombie films (except for Shaun of the Dead) but I have heard they're cult classics. Evil Dead 2 is supposed to be more tongue-in-cheek and less serious than the first from what I know.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »

Are the Evil Dead films worth watching? I haven't seen many zombie films (except for Shaun of the Dead) but I have heard they're cult classics. Evil Dead 2 is supposed to be more tongue-in-cheek and less serious than the first from what I know.
The Evil Dead series is VERY MUCH worth watching.  Don't expect typical zombies though.  They're zombie-like, but it's more along the lines of demonic possession. 

The first is straight brutal low budget horror.
The second is a lot more tongue in cheek, but it's still very obviously horror. 
The third is more of a comedy with some horror trappings.  It's actually closer to those old Sinbad movies what with the evil skeleton army and everything. 
The new Evil Dead goes back to the brutal horror without even a tad bit of levity. 

Gst0395
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »

Alright, thanks for clearing that up. Will not hesitate to give them a look in the future. Thumbup
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 03:22:45 PM »

I seen the new EVIL DEAD (2013)....I dunno I dont really like remakes.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »

Not sure I will see the remake... part of the fun of the originals is the fun, and that seems to be missing. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Gst0395
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 04:18:36 PM »

I don't care much for remakes myself, expect for 80s remakes of 50s sci-fi movies (The Thing, The Fly e.g) and Peter Jackson's version of King Kong.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »

The conclusion I came to was that for some reason Ash came BACK to the cabin after the events of the first movie.  ... with another girlfriend that had the same name as the first one.  ... Shut up.  It made sense to me at the time.

If he went back there with another date, he deserved everything that happened to him.

But it really just takes a few minutes to "set the scene" for anyone who never saw the original.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 04:32:33 PM »

I seen the new EVIL DEAD (2013)....I dunno I dont really like remakes.

It's not supposed to be a remake. More of a sequel years removed, with a new batch of victims stumbling into the same horrible situation.

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »

I feel this should be on the top ten of any list of greatest horror films of all time.  I liked it better than the first and way better than AOD.  Despite the fact the film makes no sense at all.  Great fun.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »

The first time I seen the EVIL DEAD 2 I was high on acid.
Whatta trip!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 09:51:26 PM »

If he went back there with another date, he deserved everything that happened to him.

Ash was never the smartest character in the world.   Wink
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 10:11:32 PM »

They're not really zombie movies in the traditional sense, it's more like possession. But yeah you should see them because they're like mandatory viewing if you post here.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 05:08:04 AM »

It is no exaggeration for me to say that Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn changed my life.

So here's me as a teenager. I stayed up late watching movies that proudly claimed BN or N in their descriptions in the HBO Guide. Those mean either "brief nudity" or "nudity." Yes, there was a time before the internet when those two things were hard to come across. (We didn't have Cinemax.)

So I start watching this movie, Evil Dead II, with no expectations. And it turns out to be the craziest, most inventive movie I have ever seen. I am literally amazed at how each scene one-ups the craziness of the previous scene. One man's hand gets possessed and he spends minutes slapping plates against his head, and then he gets sucked into a vortex where he goes back in time as the guy in the book?!

This movie is the movie that proved to me that b-movies are amazing. Me hoping to see naked ladies, and then seeing basically the greatest movie I have ever seen. This movie is why I love these movies to this day.

Evil Dead II was a transformative experience.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Evil Dead 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.