Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:57:47 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  I Went to Camp Crystal Lake this weekend!!! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I Went to Camp Crystal Lake this weekend!!!  (Read 9244 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 30, 2013, 08:38:15 PM »

My son's Cub Scout den went to Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco in Blairstown, NJ, this past weekend for the annual "Weboree" event. Of course, any horror geek worth his or her salt knows that No-Be-Bo-Sco is also known as "Camp Crystal Lake," because the first "Friday the 13th" film was shot there in the fall of '79....so when we arranged for this weekend I was geeked beyond belief. I'm the Den Leader for my son's group but I told my co-leader flat out, "I'm going to be totally useless all weekend, I'm going to be too busy geeking out." Hahaha.

So hey, here are some pix from our weekend at Camp Crystal Lake!!

First, here's my son Matt posing in front of the sign at the front gate. We took this when we first got there on Friday afternoon. We were the first ones from our group to arrive so we had some time to wander around and check the place out a little.

... mind you, this campground is f**king HUGE and the Friday the 13th crew only filmed in a few small areas of it. While we walked around Friday afternoon my son kept asking "Do you see anything from the movie?" and I was like, "uhhhh...no." Haha.
It wasn't till after dinner when we had a little more time to explore that I finally saw the lake out of the corner of my eye and sez "Well, most of the action in the movie took place by the lake, so let's go that way."

So we go down a hill and around a bend and BAM! There's the main cabin the counselors were staying in throughout the film. I start freakin' out like "HOLY CRAP, THIS IS IT! THIS IS IT!", I whip out my phone and start snapping pix like a total fanboy.

About a hundred yards down the road from that is one of the Lodge buildings. I believe the counselors spent most of the movie running between this building and the cabin. They're separated by a creek with a small bridge over it.

Right across from these two buildings is the lake, and of course the beach, where final girl "Alice" had her battle royale with Pamela Voorhees at the end of the movie. As you can see, the wooden lifeguard stand is still there (though I believe it was white in the movie; it's painted brown now).

Here's another view of the Lodge building, from farther away. One of the camp guides told me that the ending scene of "F13" with "Alice" in the canoe was shot in this corner of the lake.

I'm not 100 percent sure but I think this is the "shower house" where one of the girl counselors caught a hatchet with her face.

These "log steps" went down the hill towards the beach. They looked familiar so I figured they must be in the movie somewhere. Even if they're not, they looked cool so I took a pic. :D

It was a great weekend all around. The weather was gorgeous, my son and his fellow Scouts got to light stuff on fire and do all sorts of cool Scouty stuff, and I got my horror geek on.  TeddyR

The only site that I wanted to get a pic of but didn't have the chance to was the archery range, which is also featured in the movie. Maybe next year?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:44:44 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 09:20:44 PM »

Oh, that is awesome.  Although for the true geek experience, you really should have brought youyr won hockey mask for picture taking purposes.   Wink
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:30:09 PM »

Nerdvana!!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:44:01 PM »

you really should have brought youyr won hockey mask for picture taking purposes

Oh believe me, the thought was there. I used to have a hockey mask that I bought for Halloween years n' years ago but I have no idea where it is, or even if I still have it.

Nerdvana!!!!!

Indeed! When we came down that hill, rounded the bend, and I saw the cabins and the beach, it was total Nerdgasm!!!  TeddyR

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 06:19:30 AM »

That's awesome  Thumbup  Did you sleep a bit uneasily that night?   BounceGiggle

I'm a huge F13 geek too, they should declare that place a national monument and have guided tours lol.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 09:02:45 AM »

That's awesome  Thumbup  Did you sleep a bit uneasily that night?   BounceGiggle

Actually, I slept very well. Spending all day in the fresh air running back and forth across this sprawling camp ground took a lot out of me.  BounceGiggle

I'm a huge F13 geek too, they should declare that place a national monument and have guided tours lol.

Surprisingly, they didn't play up the F13 connection at all, aside from a few comments from our tour guides during workshops and such. You'd think there'd be some photos or memorabilia on display somewhere in camp, but nope. Maybe when the movie was newer, but I get the feeling they're tired of hearing about it 30+ years later, haha.

It's also Boy Scout property and since the Scouts are a very straight-and-narrow organization I can understand why they might not want to be closely associated with the violence, boobs and blood of F13 - if it were a privately owned campground, though, I bet they'd play up the connection for all it was worth. Imagine the possibilities for horror themed weekend camping packages, especially around Halloween. Haunted hayrides complete with Jason attacks!! Get Betsy Palmer out there to sign autographs!! They'd make a frickin' mint!!!

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 08:42:54 PM »

Of course, you all knew I was gonna write a piece about my Camp Crystal Lake Experience on my blog didn't ya? :D

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/I-Survived-Camp-Crystal-Lake

Archivist

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:29:22 PM »

Thanks a lot for the report and cool photos.  I once did a F13 marathon that they aired on cable, all the way through the part 7 or 8.  It was very, very cool.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 09:59:59 PM »

That's just too cool Freddy! Thanks for the photo shoot. What a rare opportunity to see the birthplace of one of the most popular horror icons on the history of the word horror.  Cheers
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »

That's just too cool Freddy! Thanks for the photo shoot. What a rare opportunity to see the birthplace of one of the most popular horror icons on the history of the word horror.  Cheers

Yup, it was very cool that my Scout Leader duties and Horror Geek interests were able to intersect like this. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity!! Cheers

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  I Went to Camp Crystal Lake this weekend!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.