Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:23:41 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Biggest date movie mistakes? And best date movie surprises? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biggest date movie mistakes? And best date movie surprises?  (Read 4825 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 21, 2013, 12:11:52 AM »

I thought I'd open the floor to the subject of movies that you've seen on dates, mistakes you'd made in those choices, and good surprises you'd had as well.

Perhaps the best date movie surprise I had was Pedro Almodovar's 'Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down' (1990).  It was rated R in Australia at the time, but my date and I were able to get in despite being underage.  That night was the first proper date we'd been on, and we didn't know much about it.  Little did we know that it was a hilarious movie full of nudity, sex and peculiar sexual allusions.  Fortunately, my date was far from shocked or put off, and things went very well that night afterwards, much to my surprise.

I can't say that I've made mistakes in date movies, because in later years I tended to vet my choices pretty thoroughly, but I once recommended to a friend that he go see the Ralph Fiennes movie Strange Days (1995).  I hadn't seen it at the time, but the concept seemed good.  When I saw it later I was very apologetic!  Not the kind of movie to see on a first date at all!

Anyone have any good date movie stories?

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
dean

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 04:36:09 AM »

Man Strange Days would be a great first date movie, just to weed out the unbelievers.

The worst/best date movie I've been on is Wrong Turn.  We were the only people laughing at the movie because of how ridiculous it was, but afterwards she pretty much said that I have a lot of ground to make up for choosing such an awful movie.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 08:23:31 PM »

Dont watch I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE with a date. I did....not seeing it before-hell-she picked it out-it was her who picked it out! It was in 1982-when they had them big things that looked like LP records,and I hadda rent the machine,too!  Bluesad

Tiana loved DJANGO UNCHAINED. Shes black-and proud of it-so when Django started whipping the f**k outta some hillbilly scumbag she gave me a hug and cheered! And she dont like westerns!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:46:54 PM »

Jason X...my wife hated that movie.   Although she got me back with Sweet Home Alabama. Lookingup  i will say i did enjoy My Big Fat Greek Wedding

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 10:54:21 PM »

Jason X...my wife hated that movie.   Although she got me back with Sweet Home Alabama. Lookingup  i will say i did enjoy My Big Fat Greek Wedding

You must immediately surrender your man card.  You may return it after watching THREE Jaso Statham movies, or ONE Chuck Norris film.

Greek wedding?  Yeeks!! Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »

I've seen too many date movies that didn't have plots. The kind of movie where I think to myself, "If I wanted to see this I'd just start a fight with my mom or wax on about how mean the other girls." As I'm a guy, I don't do these things. So I certainly don't want to watch other people do them, much less at a price.

Up to looking each title up, I couldn't remember what any of these were about:

Anywhere But Here - Natalie Portman and her mother move to California, make Baywatch jokes, and hate one another.

Someone Like You - I've never seen another movie that opens with bovine sex or compares men to randy bulls.

Crossroads - Pull over, I want off of this vehicle...

There was an occasional good film or two. Chocolat, for example, was okay because I could look at artisan chocolates all day, they're like artwork you eat if you don't like them. Argue to me how that's a bad thing.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 11:05:59 PM »

Greek wedding?  Yeeks!! Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout

You seen them Testorone commercials on TV? Ya may need a triple dose! Eat some mountain oysters, son! Shoot something and eat it raw! Wrestle a bear and f**k it! Be a MANLY MAN!  TongueOut  Wink

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 11:01:50 AM »

Took a girl at uni to see Shakespeare In Love. Thought it was utter pants, but she loved it...when we were walking back I told her I thought it was one of the best films I'd ever seen. Tactical approach...

Dont watch I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE with a date. I did....
BounceGiggle most inappropriate date movie ever, karma

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 07:54:38 PM »

Many years ago I took my then-girlfriend (now my wife) to see "From Dusk Till Dawn." She had never heard of the movie and had no idea what it was about. For the first 20 minutes or so she must've figured it was going to be just a criminals-on-the-run caper movie, and was pretty much hating it.

...then of course the characters stop at the Titty Twister, the first stripper turns into a vampire and rips somebody's head off, and she practically jumped out of her seat like "WHOAAAA! What the hell kinda movie IS this?" ... fortunately she happens to like horror films, so she was riveted for the rest of the movie.  BounceGiggle

We've seen it numerous times since then and still chuckle about her reaction to it to this day.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 02:53:18 PM »

Back in the 1980s I had a girlfriend who had an extremely low tolerance for violence.  Somehow, I convinced her to go to the movies with me and some people from work to see THE UNTOUCHABLES.  When DeNiro smashed the guy's head in with the baseball bat, she nearly jumped out of her seat.  Then she sort of shrunk down (almost curled up in her seat) and covered her eyes with her hand.  I felt like such an ass for talking her into seeing that movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ChaosTheory

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 11:40:13 AM »

KNOCKED UP.  My date straight-up levitated out of his seat during the birth/crowning part.   He was the one who picked the movie too......

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
316zombie
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 06:11:05 PM »

worst AND best, same movie,lol!
he took me to see the shining,i was DISGUSTED, and walked out halfway through,went to the bar across the street and waited for him.he was NOT happy,neither was i,so we simply had dinner and got over it,kept dating...
3 months later,i wanted to see altered states,he didn't,so we compromised by going to the drivein and seeing altered states WITH the shining(that was MY  compromise,to watch  it all the way through).
HATED altered states,both of us,so we went and played with kids at the playground.but since i had promised,and he DID watch the whole movie,i watched the shining again.
and i was mesmerized,once i gor past the fact that it didn't NEED to be just like the book,it was brilliant on its own!i still love the shining,and him,30 years later!:)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Biggest date movie mistakes? And best date movie surprises? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.