Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:31:14 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ah, The Asylum « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ah, The Asylum  (Read 7786 times)
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 01, 2013, 08:14:33 AM »

Before the mockbuster phase, The Asylum were an upcoming horror company. Their movies were often considered not good, but getting there, and they were respected by many horror fans.

Their mockbuster phase - between never losing money and that lawsuits almost never take against them, and them being fully aware of the quality of their movies, it seems like their intention is no longer making good movies, but what ED would call "IRL trolling".

(Oh and evidently, the "Battleship" lawsuit failed - they claimed the mockbuster had ALREADY damaged their profits and wanted the film and related media DESTROYED. Didn't happen). AFAIK, the only lawsuit that worked was the "The Terminators" one, and that company went bankrupt anyway, and the movie's back on The Asylum's website, so The Asylum technically "won" even that one.

Now, with the Horror Channel seemingly having ended its rotation of their last batch of mockbusters, and little reason for me to care about whats on Syfy, I figured maybe over time I could convince myself the mockbusters never happened and they, instead of throwing away their potential future of promising films, went bankrupt or something.

It's believable, as their last original horror had a budget of $3,000. Three THOUSAND.

But then they bring this  "Age of dinosaurs" out - http://www.theasylum.cc/product.php?id=224

Unfortunately, I'm drawn to watch anything with dinosaurs, except that show Primeval, which didn't hold my attention at all. I have "Jurassic Attack" on rental watchlist and "The Dinosaur Project" on that same's live streaming.

Makes it harder to forget about their latest phase.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 08:39:25 AM »

Smile

Age Of Dinosaurs...what Jurassic Park could have been.
These guys are the shameless hustlers Hollywood has always been, they just don't care who knows it.
Oh, and BTW. Full auto M-16 at close range would down a T-Rex. Those lil slugs would flay his hide like sandpaper. Unless the film gives them armor...guns work.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 09:05:53 AM »

Actually, some of their "Mockbusters" were pretty good.  I loved ABRAHAM LINCOLN VS. ZOMBIES!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Bushma

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 11:50:08 AM »

Actually, some of their "Mockbusters" were pretty good.  I loved ABRAHAM LINCOLN VS. ZOMBIES!

I did too, it was a lot of my! 

I'm not ashamed to admit this (maybe I should be), but I actually look forward to Asylum's movies.  I think they are a lot of time, and some times (ok once) I've actually enjoyed the mockbuster more than the real movie (Paranormal Entity). 

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 01:25:42 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a soft spot for the Asylum's mockbusters 'n' monster mashes.

Is that Ronny "Dick Jones from Robocop" Cox in "Age of Dinosaurs?" I thought he was dead.  BounceGiggle The movie looks pretty bad-ass though.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Vaporman87
Purveyor of relief to the nostalgia bug
Dedicated Viewer

Overlord of RetroDaze

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 01:44:30 PM »

I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised by the success of mockbusters and such. Essentially all the cheese of the past has its roots in bigger productions, to some degree.

All Your Memories Are Belong To Us.   www.retro-daze.com
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 01:20:01 AM »

I love The Asylum, they're pretty much the modern Roger Corman, which might make some people here mad. But I think it's true. They've never lost money on a film, they stick to insane shooting schedules, and exploit ideas already proven popular to a target audience.

Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 04:15:48 AM »

Respected by many horror fans? Scarecrow Slayer was one of the most infuriating films I've ever seen, and the other Asylum relatively-originals I've caught, Alien Abduction, Intermedio... are almost as poor as the mockbusters! BounceGiggle

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 08:08:27 AM »

Respected by many horror fans? Scarecrow Slayer was one of the most infuriating films I've ever seen, and the other Asylum relatively-originals I've caught, Alien Abduction, Intermedio... are almost as poor as the mockbusters! BounceGiggle

The "quality" of Scarecrow Slayer probably owes more to York Entertainment.

It's odd you call Intermedio only "relatively-original" when it was made just before or even during the era when every or nearly every Hollywood ghost-themed horror was a carbon copy of "The Ring".

Intermedio was more easily innovative, inspired etc. than the mindless, pointless drivel Hollywood were regurgitating into cinemas at the time.
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 01:50:37 PM »

Treat Williams, take my money.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
316zombie
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »

when you see the strange 5 star reviews on netflix for asylum movies? that's probably me,or my husband.and occasionally,james.
i love this crap!!! Cheers Cheers Cheers
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 04:49:18 AM »

Is that Ronny "Dick Jones from Robocop" Cox in "Age of Dinosaurs?"

Yes it is.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Flangepart

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 08:43:27 AM »

THE ASYLEM: Doing for good cinema what Rodan did for Sesebo.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Robocop
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 01:44:25 AM »

The Asylum occasionally land a recognizable once credible name that is now in need of a paycheck, like Carl Weathers, Lance Henriksen and now Ronny Cox. Any others I'm missing? 
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 03:03:40 PM »

The Asylum occasionally land a recognizable once credible name that is now in need of a paycheck, like Carl Weathers, Lance Henriksen and now Ronny Cox. Any others I'm missing? 

Probably.  But that's what studios like this are for.  To give new blood their first acting gigs and to give those whose phones have stopped ringing a chance to still work.  Heck I'd be in an Asylum movie if I got the chance. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ah, The Asylum « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.