Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:10:15 PM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Regional Dialect Maps « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Regional Dialect Maps  (Read 8041 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: June 06, 2013, 03:17:20 AM »

I think people often forget about how just big a place the United States really is. Here's an article making the rounds about pronunciation and regional phrases that people use.

22 Maps That Show How Americans Speak English Totally Differently From Each Other

Naturally, the South is featured quite a lot. But there are a lot of other regionalisms that pop-up as well.

For the record, I grew up calling soft drinks "pop." Then I moved to Arizona, where nobody refers to it as such. I was never aware that it's such a shibboleth. At the same time, my older brother use to make fun of me when I asked for a cigarette because I would always ask to "bum" one from him. Not common parlance in Alaska, or Hawaii, the state he moved to.

My favorite regionalism on these maps is how to refer to a sunny day. Apparently, in Alabama and Mississippi it is popular to refer to a sunny day as "the Devil beating his wife."

What regionalisms do you find amusing? The article focuses on America, but I've always found it amusing that the British refer to cigarettes as "fags." I imagine the learning curve in not using that term in America is pretty harsh.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 04:23:21 AM »

I had a linguistics prof who would amuse us with tales of isoglosses.  Fascinating stuff.

In the area where I grew up, the greeting "g'day" was in common use for both 'hello' and 'goodbye'.  The true import of the word was carried in the intonation: it could range anywhere from cheerful/friendly/polite/respectful to angry and dismissive.  At its best it was an indication of delight at encountering you (often emphasised by repetition, rising on the second: "g'day g'DAY!"), at its worst it was equivalent to telling someone to shut up and p**s off ("G[pause]DAY" said abruptly).  There were at least half-a-dozen shades of meaning; easy enough to understand, but effective delivery took some practice.   BounceGiggle

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 06:06:33 AM »

My favorite regionalism on these maps is how to refer to a sunny day. Apparently, in Alabama and Mississippi it is popular to refer to a sunny day as "the Devil beating his wife."

In South Africa, we call that occurrence "Jakkals trou met Wolf se vrou" [the jackal is marrying the wolf's wife]. Never quite understood that one.

What regionalisms do you find amusing? The article focuses on America, but I've always found it amusing that the British refer to cigarettes as "fags." I imagine the learning curve in not using that term in America is pretty harsh.

I went to an English public school in Rhodesia and the young first years who did menial tasks for the seniors were known as 'fags'.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 06:07:40 AM »

At its best it was an indication of delight at encountering you (often emphasised by repetition, rising on the second: "g'day g'DAY!"), at its worst it was equivalent to telling someone to shut up and p**s off ("G[pause]DAY" said abruptly). 

BuggedoutBounceGiggle TeddyR

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 06:42:26 AM »

For some reason those weirdos in Wisconsin say "coulee" instead of "valley".  I never understood that.  Here in Minnesota we quite often refer to highways as "the interstate" because they're, you know, interstate highways.  The term "freeway" is rarely used at all here.  They only have those in California  Smile 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 07:26:46 AM »

I love regional dialects and "collect" them when I can. While I can't match Professor Henry Higgins' (My Fair Lady) ability to tell what street someone comes from by the way he talks, I can generally get it down to region or state. Regional idioms are fascinating to me as well. These maps only begin to scratch the surface, but they are an interesting presentation of how we differ in the way we say things.

Interesting(ish) side note: I took a linguistics class in grad school and loved it. I almost switched to linguistics as my focus but opted not to. I found out years after I was out of school that shortly after I was graduated, the professor who taught that class had been arrested for murdering his wife. Yikes.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 07:39:30 AM »

Interesting(ish) side note: I took a linguistics class in grad school and loved it. I almost switched to linguistics as my focus but opted not to. I found out years after I was out of school that shortly after I was graduated, the professor who taught that class had been arrested for murdering his wife. Yikes.

Buggedout Buggedout

In South Africa, we always refer to a traffic light as a 'robot'. Yes, that, and the fact that our cars drive on the wrong side of the road and our steering wheels are on the right hand side of the car.  Buggedout

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 01:48:54 PM »

I think people often forget about how just big a place the United States really is. Here's an article making the rounds about pronunciation and regional phrases that people use.

22 Maps That Show How Americans Speak English Totally Differently From Each Other

Naturally, the South is featured quite a lot. But there are a lot of other regionalisms that pop-up as well.

For the record, I grew up calling soft drinks "pop." Then I moved to Arizona, where nobody refers to it as such. I was never aware that it's such a shibboleth. At the same time, my older brother use to make fun of me when I asked for a cigarette because I would always ask to "bum" one from him. Not common parlance in Alaska, or Hawaii, the state he moved to.

I thought the devil beating his wife was when it was both sunny and raining.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Bushma

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 03:21:21 PM »

My dad used to say that, and I had no clue what the was talking about.  Until he said that is what that weather occurance is called.  I've never called it that.

British refer to cigarettes as "fags." I imagine the learning curve in not using that term in America is pretty harsh.
LOL I used to work with a British guy and we'd go out and smoke some times then on day he said "Can I bum a fag?"  I had no clue what he was talking about.  I'm used to people asking to "bum a smoke" but never had I heard "bum a fag".  I still think about it and laugh to myself today, just like I am right now.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »

In the area where I grew up, the greeting "g'day" was in common use for both 'hello' and 'goodbye'.  The true import of the word was carried in the intonation: it could range anywhere from cheerful/friendly/polite/respectful to angry and dismissive.  At its best it was an indication of delight at encountering you (often emphasised by repetition, rising on the second: "g'day g'DAY!"), at its worst it was equivalent to telling someone to shut up and p**s off ("G[pause]DAY" said abruptly).  There were at least half-a-dozen shades of meaning; easy enough to understand, but effective delivery took some practice.   BounceGiggle

"To think that I should have lived to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I was selling buttons at the door!"

I thought the devil beating his wife was when it was both sunny and raining.

Ah, you are correct, sir. I misread that initially.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 04:19:06 PM »

In New Jersey and Pennsylvania, the history of the Lenni Lenape Indians (mis-named Delaware because they lived along the river in both states) says they used to refer to the North as "Our grandfather" and the South as "our grandmother where it is warm."

To this day, sometimes I hear people refer to sunny days as 'grandmother getting her way again', and cold days as "grandfather being angry again." Odd too considering that it was originally an American Indian phrase and unique to only them.

In certain parts of German-speaking Pennyslvania, people say "Nabend" which is, if I recall, a shortening of Guten Abend which means "good evening." It is much in the same way people will say "morning"  instead of good morning or "G'day" in Australia instead of "good day."  My grandmother would say 'Nabend' all the time.

sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 06:38:09 PM »

In parts of the upper midwest people tended to say youse - as in youse guys and so on instead of just you. 

Also in the midwest people used to refer to the sofa as Davenport.  My grandma used to use the term Davenport instead of couch or sofa up until the early 90s - she got away from doing that in the last decade of her life and I don't remember her using the term Davenport after her 80th birthday.  It's been years since I've heard people use the term Davenport to refer to a sofa.  Now people usually call them the sofa or couch.   

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 08:59:59 PM »

I pronounce been as Ben, dunno why. Crayon as Cra yon. I use lawyer as Loi yer.  I really don't care about coleslaw, so PASS. I say You guys, guys, y'all, you all, youse. I say Mayo, not the longer version, just mayo. I say PJ's, not really big on saying pajamas all the way. I say pecan as Puh KAHN! 98% of the time I'll say soda, but every now and then I'll say Sodie. Most of the world pronounces Crawfish as, well, crawfish. I really have no idea when people started saying Crayfish. I, for some reason, call syrup as sap. Traffic circle, roundabouts, I use them interchangeably. I, unless I'm at Subway, always use Po Boys instead of Sub. Anytime I see a debate of either tennis shoes or sneakers, I just say does it really matter, it's just shoes. I call highways as interstates, makes sense to me. The Devil beating his wife, I just call sunny rain, since it is sunny, yet raining at the same time. Drive thru liquor store is called a daiquiri shop. Mary, marry, merry; i stress out the vowel and, on Mary and marry, say Mary shorter while saying Marry longer.

yeah no.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 03:36:21 PM »

In SD, we often refer to our vehicles as "outfits".  Not really sure why...

And speaking of vehicles, THIS

is not a damn truck.  It's a pickup.  THIS

is a truck.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 09:13:32 PM »

Although in later life I came to appreciate the lyrical beauty of the Celtic lilt a bit more, when I was little I had to spend summers among relatives whose accents I thought were just terrible to hear on a daily basis, and then I came to realize that I was the oddity there, and people thought I sounded bizarre, so when I was eight I one day told them, "I don't have an accent. I'm an American..." Oh, how they laughed at that all summer. I was often told Americans sound like they talk "through their noses."

What's funny is I sort of live on a Mason-Dixon Line dialectic fault line, so that by driving sometimes just an hour any direction I hear totally different ways of speaking, which is trippy. I hear Kentucky drawls, Appalachian twangs, flat-voweled Midwesterners from upstate, and the stereotypical "plain American" accent around here. I hear "soft drink" "pop" and the ultra-weird "cola-pop". The funny thing is, there's this pocket of speech over in east-central Indiana that sounds absolutely like the people are from Appalachia, and I have never quite figured out where they got that. You hear it all around here.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Regional Dialect Maps « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.