Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:57:19 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Insidious (2010) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Insidious (2010)  (Read 6301 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 11, 2013, 11:47:25 PM »

A ripoff of Poltergeist with some Nightmare on Elm Street and even some Paranormal Activity thrown in.  It also has plenty of the now-standard, powdery-white-ghost-people-with-black-eyeliner-who-have-all-their-scenes-tinted-green-and-move-jerkily-until-they-suddenly-lunge-at-the-camera-while-screaming-and-shaking-their-heads-back-and-forth but that has become so ubiquitous in the 2000s that I can't remember where it might have come from in the first place.  (The 1999 House on Haunted Hill, maybe?)

Anyway, a kid goes into a coma.  His Mom sees ghosts in the house while the Dad remains utterly oblivious.  Even so, he agrees to move to a new house just to shut his wife up about the damn ghosts.  But, oh no, there are still ghosts at the new house.  The Mom calls in some paranormal investigators who do some pseudo science around the house and we have a few minutes of unbearably bad manchild comedy.  The investigators decide they're in over their heads and call in a creepy lady psychic.  Turns out the kid's soul is trapped in Other World, blah blah blah.  The Dad goes into a trance so he can cross over and rescue the kid.  During the rescue attempt, they encounter mother-fricking FREDDY KRUEGER!  No, seriously.  This guy lives in a place that looks sort of like a boiler room, spends his time sharpening the bladed glove he wears on his right hand, and even has red markings on his face that suggest a pattern of burn scars.  WHAT THE $#@^?!?!  Anyway, the kid and the Dad get back safe and sound.  Or do they?  THE END

This movie plays a bit oddly.  It almost feels like they started out making one movie but finished making another.  Maybe half the script got lost and they decided to wing it and just copy their favorite horror movies from the last thirty years.  Maybe a meddling producer kept forcing them to film the so cool idea he just had.  I don't know.

Despite my complaints with it, I was reasonably entertained by Insidious.  If nothing else, it's fun to play spot the ripoff.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 11:55:20 PM »

I think I'm in the vast minority when I say I greatly preferred the scenes in the Further to the rest of the movie. There were some effective moments prior to them, but all in all I thought I was in for the typical "we've got to have a seance/exorcism!" crap where some vaguely supernatural stuff goes on around the house until the kid wakes up just fine.

The surreal, disjointed nature of the scenes within the Further truly impressed me. Great atmosphere, trippy editing, etc. I also remember those parts as being almost devoid of the shaky MTV-style-ghosts, with the spirits in the Further standing mostly still or performing some mindless task.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
claws
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:16:47 AM »

I believe the shaky pale ghosts originate from Asian horror movies. Either way, it's been done to death but filmmakers still love to use them.
Insidious is indeed a huge rip off of other movies. It's the Lady Gaga of horror movies: questionable talent with no ounce of originality, but entertaining for those who don't care or not familiar with the originals.
I tend to be more forgiving when it comes to ripping off in movies so I somewhat enjoyed Insidious for what it is.
Torgo

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 01:07:03 PM »

I thought that Insidious was boring for the most part and not at all scary (in addition to being completely unoriginal too)!

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Bushma

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 01:23:34 PM »

Ok, I'm going to reveil a little of how twisted my family is here...

My dauther (5yo) LOVES this movie.  She calls it "The Bloody Hand Print Movie", and she'll request it about once a month.  I think 2-Headed Shark Attack is pulling ahead though. 

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 06:42:09 PM »

I'll confess I really liked this one.  Was it derivative of many other films? Sure.  Did it entertain me? HECK YEAH!!! TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
synthetictruism
New Visitor

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 05:34:42 PM »

I thought it was passable - but as everyone says, it "borrows" a little too much from other popular horror movies. I've got to say, the main kruger-demon-creature made me think of Darth Maul in every scene it appeared... Somewhat broke the mood, for me.

Still, it was better than "Sinister".
Gory Video Games
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 02:07:32 AM »

I hope the sequel is as good as the first one!
Bushma

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 09:57:44 AM »

I hope the sequel is as good as the first one!
Same here, I'm excited about it and I hope not to be disappointed.  I wonder how they are going to get around that the father's body was taken over by that demon/ghost/thing.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
akiratubo

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 09:12:34 PM »

As little as I thought of Insidious, I'm hopping with joy that a sequel to it can manage to get released to theatres in this day and age.  Hell, I think I'll even go see it to show my support!

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »

It plays the stretchy face hollow-eyes card?  Good grief, do all possession movies need to use all of the same gimmicks all of the time? Lookingup

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Fishasaurus
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 01:58:47 PM »

Ok, I'm going to reveil a little of how twisted my family is here...

My dauther (5yo) LOVES this movie.  She calls it "The Bloody Hand Print Movie", and she'll request it about once a month.  I think 2-Headed Shark Attack is pulling ahead though. 

And does she respect these films?  Do they scare her?   Buggedout

It takes a child to raze a village. -- Jello Biafra
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 08:44:57 PM »

Liked this one quite a bit. Some good jumpscares and a really creepy atmosphere towards the end.
Unfortunately the Sequel isn't quite as good and The Conjuring was overall better.

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 10:41:43 PM »

A ripoff of Poltergeist with some Nightmare on Elm Street and even some Paranormal Activity thrown in.  It also has plenty of the now-standard, powdery-white-ghost-people-with-black-eyeliner-who-have-all-their-scenes-tinted-green-and-move-jerkily-until-they-suddenly-lunge-at-the-camera-while-screaming-and-shaking-their-heads-back-and-forth but that has become so ubiquitous in the 2000s that I can't remember where it might have come from in the first place.  (The 1999 House on Haunted Hill, maybe?)

The first time that I saw it used in a movie was in Jacob's Ladder (1990). It was used to great effect in that film, even though the film itself was disjointed and not very good nor scary, in my opinion.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Insidious (2010) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.