Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:17:28 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Man of Steel (2013) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Man of Steel (2013)  (Read 13107 times)
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »

It was alright but it has its flaws. I really thought they were trying to hard to be Dark Knight. No, Superman can be dark and it can have its spots of cerebral but it can't be Batman. It was a little hard to tell what was going on in some fight and I wish Clark had a little more 'the everyman' to him.

I don't regret seeing it but I think the movie should have been funner, I wish I left this movie like I did for Pacific Rim: ready to watch it again.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Paquita

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 10:03:24 PM »

My opinion doesn't really count because I don't know all about the factual lore of superman, and I don't really like a lot of newer movies, but I thought Man of Steel was awful.  I thought a huge part of Superman was his secret identity.. was that not totally blown in this movie?  I also think it lacked a display of "cool" super powers, and showing them in flashbacks (which there were wayyy too many of) while making them seem like horrible painful memories doesn't count. Pitting him up against equals right away was kind of boring for me.  I would rather have seen him punch an a-hole to the moon at least once.  The part where he effortlessly breaks his handcuffs was the coolest part, and that's pretty sad.

ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »

Too many actions scenes and not enough character development.
akiratubo

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 04:42:27 PM »

Saw it again yesterday and it was still just as good as the first time.  I did notice something I hadn't before, though.

The armor Zod's troops wear?  It looks an awful lot like the power armor Lex Luthor uses from time to time.  If they absolutely must use Lex Luthor, I'd love to see Lex put on that armor and actually trade punches with Superman.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 06:39:09 PM »

I'm not a fan of Superman at all. Sadly, the news of Batman appearing in the next installment means I'll have to suffer through a Superman film.  Cheers

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Neville

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 11:09:37 AM »

Too solemn and unfunny for my taste, but an overall improvement over the Bryan Singer film. I'm with daveblackeye15 in this one, the dark tone doesn't fit Superman: Superman has to be all about the sense of wonder and the action, and at least one of those was missing here.

In other words, I need "to believe a man can fly", not to have that explained.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
DrSpunkwater
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 11:55:11 PM »

Meh, the movie wasn't terrible. But I think I'll stick with Superman 1 & 2.
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »

As someone who grew up with Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z i really enjoyed the battle scenes. The rest was kinda stupid.
At least it was better than Returns and the last two Reeve-Sequels.

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 11:04:04 PM »

Not as good as Superman 1 & 2. Better than 3 & 4. About even with Returns, but not as boring.

This movie was obviously trying to be two movies in one. It would have made a great sequel, but with Nolan's involvement in the film, it should have gone for a Batman Begins (2005) type of origin, because the Superman that I grew up with was all about "truth, justice, and the American way" and fighting crime, not fighting space aliens coming right out of the gates. Battling General Zod and the Kryptonians in order to save Earth was a plot better-suited for a Man Of Steel 2, not an origin story.

Plus, Lois Lane was wasted as a character, though cast well with the right actress, Amy Adams. The sub-plot with Perry White and the female version of Jimmy Olsen was unnecessary and went absolutely nowhere. The Faora character was actually more interesting than General Zod, which is a shame because she didn't get enough screen time; think Darth Maul, the most interesting part of all of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999), all five minutes of him.

Russell Crowe as Jor-El: good. Kevin Costner as Pa Kent: bad.

Pairing Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan together in a movie is like pairing apples and oranges together and expecting peaches & cream. Not gonna happen!

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 04:06:17 PM »

What did Superman do to these filmmakers to make them hate him so badly?

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 04:23:26 PM »

What did Superman do to these filmmakers to make them hate him so badly?

Pffft... I've seen far worse. So they wanted to make Superman a little angsty... so what?

At least we got to seem him throw down with someone who could really fight back.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 04:24:11 PM »

I was thoroughly unhappy with it. Plus the woman picked to portray Lois Lane was,in my opinion,no good. Also,Paquita was so right about his lack of a secret identity....WTF was that all about?

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 12:12:01 PM »

It kinda seems like they took a really good Nolan style movie, cut it up, rearranged the pieces, and crammed in plugs like trying to shove stuffing into a turkey.

The narrative felt disjointed and out of order, Jonathon Kent failed his role as a father figure by making him an evil jackass with morals you'd have to be deranged to agree with, and the fight scenes drag their feet until somehow watching them felt like a chore.

Overall it felt like someone dropped the ball in production. I'm not going to say it's Zack Snyder's fault, although I'd like to see the behind the scenes just to find out why a film with such amazing potential ended up being such a disappointment. I'd probably hate this movie more if Iron Man 3 never came out. I saw Iron Man 3 before Man of Steel and I hated Iron Man 3 with a burning contempt that the wrath of Sauron couldn't match. Man of Steel wasn't good, but at least I was already p**sed off from the last movie.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:45:39 PM by A.J. Bauer » Logged

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »

I finally saw this last night and didn't really dig it much. It never really felt like a "Superman" movie to me, if that makes any sense. The second half felt like I was watching someone play an alien-invader video game, with occasional cameos by Superman.

I said this about "Superman Returns" and it applies here as well: Superman doesn't work very well with the current mania to make every superhero "dark and gritty." He's SUPPOSED to be a slightly dorky, All-American red and blue Boy Scout. Here, he's just a guy in a suit who gets the CGI crap kicked out of him a lot.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 05:34:49 PM »

Behind the times, I know, but I finally saw this last night.

Urgh.

It did not work for me.  I actually enjoyed the movie MORE before the so-called "action" kicked in.  The fight scenes were boring and predictable.  Didn't like the visuals and the overuse of certain FX engineered to try to indicate "how strong they are."

I read the thread before posting, and a number of folks commented on things that bothered me as well.  But here's the thing...I don't like it when movies ANNOY me, and the most common cause of annoyance is "taking me out of the movie.

On the whole, I don't like angsty superheros.  It's one of those things that can be very effective, but needs to be done in small doses.

I don't like superheros that are evenly matched with their opponents and SORELY outnumbered very early in the film...I just know some baloney, hokey solution is coming.

I did NOT like that everyone knows who Superman is in this reboot.  I thought a lot of the character driven charm of the classic stories was the tension between Lois and Clark and Lois and Superman.  Geez.  How to take the ONE KEY CHARACTER ARC from a storyline.

Someone somewhere, perhaps here, once made a truly profound statement in a review.  My apologies to whoever it was, here or elsewhere, for not remembering specifically who or where.  The statement was (paraphrased)...

To movie makers: It's one thing to borrow or pay homage to past movies, but don't take me out of you movie to remind me of better movies.  Especially CONSTANTLY.

All through this mess I saw reminders of better projects.  Not just with story, but with visuals and character design and...well, everything.  It was VERY annoying.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 05:43:10 PM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Man of Steel (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.