Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:48:25 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Maniac (2012) - Elijah Wood goes psycho « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maniac (2012) - Elijah Wood goes psycho  (Read 3308 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 21, 2013, 12:05:44 AM »

I've been watching the trailers for the upcoming movie Maniac, starring Elijah Wood, until the red band trailers came out a few days ago.  Now there is no way in heck that I'm watching this movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maniac_%282012_film%29

Green band trailer:

Small | Large

I'll let you guys find the red band trailer yourself.  It looks highly, highly unpleasant.  Lots of scalpings in excruciating detail.  Ugh.

The directorial style is quite interesting, though.  It has been shot entirely from the first person viewpoint, so that you only see Elijah Wood's character in reflections in mirrors and windows.  The director, Franck Khalfoun, is reportedly pleased that one viewer passed out during a test screening.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 01:38:38 AM »

I want to see this because I'm interested to see how similar/different they've played it compared to the original. I'm not a massive fan of the original but it is certainly 'original' - no pun intended - so at least there is potential for this to be more than your average token remake/rehash of an 80s slasher (I hope)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 12:43:42 PM »

It's decent. Maniac is one of those films that seriously did not need a remake. However, Aja proved competent and gave us something of a somewhat freshness to it all. It's completely shot from the POV of Elijah, which makes for some good scenes. All in all it's worth a watch, but can't hold a candle to the original. The visceral psychology and anguish just isn't there.
Gory Video Games
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 02:01:55 AM »

It could be good, I'll give it a chance!
skuts
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 01:10:03 PM »

The original was horrible enough. Poor Joe must be spinning in his grave.

Babies taste best.
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 08:42:44 PM »

This shouldn't really be in the "Bad Movie"-Section. Never liked the original, but the remake was amazing.
One of the best remakes I have seen in years. Never thought Wood had that kinda role in him.

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »

Never thought Wood had that kinda role in him.

I liked him as a bad guy in Sin City (2005). He should do more roles like that one.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:17:45 AM »

well, opinions and all that, but I have to say I was disappointed with this remake. wasn't convinced by the lead guy at any point during the film, in fact I thought he was laughably mis-cast! Characters and dialogue were bland, whole thing came off as rather pompous imo. Oh well...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 12:21:52 AM by zombie #1 » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
leatherface58
New Visitor

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 05:36:23 PM »

It was a decent remake with some nice nods to the original and other classic horror movies. The Goodbye Horses song, the scene in the parking area where Frank stands up and the camera pans to his reflection in the car holding the scalp resembling the original movie's poster, etc. were some good touches. The killer POV really made it uncomfortable as if you are attached at the waist with this maniac. Underrated IMO.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Maniac (2012) - Elijah Wood goes psycho « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.