Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:47:35 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The ABC's of Death (2012?) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The ABC's of Death (2012?)  (Read 2381 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: June 26, 2013, 02:08:45 AM »

I was actually very excited to see this film. What a great idea, getting 26 directors to make short films about death. What a great goof, right?

Sadly, it's just mostly stupid. And not in a real fun way.

Most of the entries here are not very well done. Okay, they're bad. The one that most disappoints me is Ti West, who is a guy I thought I liked. But his entry, combined with his entry in V/H/S are basically non-starters. The crowning point of stupid is probably Naboru Uguchi's "F is for Fart." I get that it was supposed to be stupid. But there's stupid, and then there's stupid.

Not that there isn't good stuff interspersed with the stupid. The "L is for Libido" should make you very uncomfortable, but I thought it was well done. It involves pedophilia. But then we get a later skit about the same thing ("Y is for Youngbuck") which just made me concerned for the director's mental state. He ain't right in the head.

I will say there is one skit here that is fantastic. "T is for Toilet" is by the same guy who made the incredible "
Chainsaw Maid Small | Large
." If you haven't seen Chainsaw Maid, remedy that right now.

But, yeah, this is a bad movie. I wanted it to be good. It isn't.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
DVR50
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 03:33:28 AM »

Just saw this recently and wasn't much of a fan. I thought 'A' was probably the best of the lot and the toilet one was quite good as well. A lot of them are quite poor and overall it just doesn't work.
claws
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 06:26:53 AM »

I'm mildly interested. I will check this out eventually, but its not on the top of my to-watch list.
On a side note, this was retitled and censored for its German DVD/Blu-ray release here. It's called "22 Ways to Die" and is missing segments L, V, X & Y.
Gory Video Games
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 02:01:21 AM »

Are there any good ones in it?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 07:21:45 AM »

I agree that there were a high percentage of duds in this. Toilet humor seemed to be a running theme, which makes me wonder where horror's head is right now.

I really liked "F is for Fart," though. Juvenile, but it pushes the concept so ridiculously far that it breaks through the taste barrier and emerges on the other side of crazy genius. Really, I did not like "T is for Toilet" very much at all, precisely because it stopped at gross.

My other favorite was "O is for Orgasm" by the team that did AMER. It's a non-narrative experiment but remarkably beautiful.

Didn't care for A, and kind of hated L. Liked W and (especially) Z for their unbounded surrealism. P was extremely sad, disturbing but not really horror.

Not sure what "Gory Video Games" would think is a "good one", but if you want gore there's plenty of it. I think the problem with this many movies is that there's not enough entries of any one style to satisfy fans of that particular style. If you like horror/comedy you have to sit through a lot of serious ones to get to the stuff you like, if you like gore you have to sit through a lot of atmosphere. And vice versa, of course.

I's give it 2.5/5, worth a look but you may only like 1/3 of them or less.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 12:16:31 PM »

I found this on Netflix the other night and tried to watch it. From what little I managed to sit through, and from what I read both there and here:

1. The movie plays its ace with the first short.
2. I didn't miss much.

I was completely baffled by "B is for Bigfoot" and stopped a little ways into "C is for ?" because I didn't want to sit there trying to figure out what C was for only to have it be something completely random. Note that on Netflix there were no subtitles so some things may have gotten lost in translation or lack thereof.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »

Note that on Netflix there were no subtitles so some things may have gotten lost in translation or lack thereof.

Yeah, that depends on your player. Some streaming players allow you to turn on or off subtitles, some do not. Netflix should not have had subtitles off by default.

C was for "Cycle."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 01:37:47 PM »

I think the movie as a whole should be placed under the letter "C", because C is for Crap.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The ABC's of Death (2012?) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.