Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:39:48 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies you didn't expect to like but... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Movies you didn't expect to like but...  (Read 8836 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: June 30, 2013, 09:41:14 AM »

...ended up enjoying?

one that stands out for me is Shark Tale(2004)

Im not into kids' films at all really, much less 100% animated ones. But when I found myself channel flicking and ending up watching this on tv a while back I got engrossed in it and it turned out to be the most entertaining film I saw in ages.

I've tried a couple more animated kids films of that ilk since and they haven't really done anything for me. Not sure why, but they weren't a patch on Shark Tale

yours?

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
ChaosTheory

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »

Wasn't planning to like SUPER, mainly because it was hyped up to me by a friend whose taste is generally pretty questionable ( for example he thought V/H/S was scary.  Yeesh.)  Also not a Rainn Wilson fan by any stretch.  But I sympathized with the main character more than I'd like to admit...

I also had snake-navel expectations for APOLLO 18, and while I didn't love it, it certainly wasn't the abortion people claimed it was.  Ditto HORRIBLE BOSSES.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »

Also not a Rainn Wilson fan by any stretch.  But I sympathized with the main character more than I'd like to admit...
finding yourself being impressed by an actor you previously disliked is a rare thing, but a good thing. cant think of any examples off the top of my head, but it has happened a few times to me

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 10:08:45 PM »

finding yourself being impressed by an actor you previously disliked is a rare thing, but a good thing. cant think of any examples off the top of my head, but it has happened a few times to me

I've mentioned this before, but Leonardo DeCaprio has turned in some very fine performance, in my opinion.  THE DEPARTED comes to mind as one, and  I also really like the job he did in BODY OF LIES.  Before seeing THE DEPARTED, I would likely not have admitted really enjoying his portrayal of a character possible (though admittedly, I did not hate him or anything).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »

Lilo and Stitch....I merely went to take my daughter and ended up laughing my buns off. Smile

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 08:53:56 PM »

Honestly, I like the first Resident Evil movie, and I went in expecting to hate it.  I think it was before the series went off into its own crazy directions and it seemed like the films might have some real potential.   

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 02:33:38 AM »

I don't pay attention to movie news, but apparently John Carter was bomb of gigantic proportions.

I saw it in the theater and thought it was great.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 02:55:05 PM »

Normally, it is the reverse. A film I expected to like, but . . . I didn't really like it, and some I really, really didn't like, but there are two examples of the above subject.

Fright Night

I actually gave it some thought of seeing it in the theater, but then I thought I might not like it, so I didn't. Big mistake. When I saw it on TV, not only did I like it, but with "Lair of the White Worm," I thought it was the best vampire film to come out of the '80's. That is the original and not the remake, which I did see and did not like.

The Avengers

I don't care much for Superhero films, so I thought I give it a pass, but I finally decided I wanted to see what everyone was talking about, and I was surprised at how good it was, and how much I enjoyed it. That does not mean I'll see "The Avengers II" or "The Avengers III."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 04:40:34 PM »

The Tron remake.  Not a huge fan of the original but I can appreciate its kitsch.  Thought the remake would be a soul-less CGI fest, and although it was a GCI fest the characters were pretty likable and it was a fun movie.  When he walked into that old arcade and Separate Ways by Journey started playing I was hooked.

Resident Evil Extinction (the third one).  Loved the first movie, hated the second.  The trailer for the third looked like crap, but it was actually decent.  Ali Larter is just so damned hot and, well I imagine there were other good things about it too.  Oh the zombies were really cool looking.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 05:49:55 AM »

FRANKENWEENIE
I dont like the CORPSE BRIDE or THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS...but I loved the old horror movie homage that went on in FRANKENWEENIE. Fantastic.
I don't think kids nowadays would understand the references to old horror films that it referenced. I think it was made for Monster Kids.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:09:03 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pilgermann

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 11:02:37 AM »

Titanic (1997) - I didn't see it until about 10 years after it was out, and after doing so I didn't understand why it was such a massive hit, but I don't understand the hate for it, either.  It's a good movie.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 11:11:56 AM »

Striptease.
Expecting a disaster of Show Girls proportions and I ended up loving it so much I bought a bunch of Carl Hiassen books based on my enjoyment of the film. Demi is rubbish but the rest of the film is really good.

Tron Legacy.
But I had no real love for the original so maybe that was a good thing. I just loved the aesthetic and soundtrack. I enjoyed the ending too.

Halloween IV
Hey, it doesnt suck!

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 10:06:58 PM »

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou- I'm not a fan of the writers/producers, and while I do like George Clooney, it didn't look like one I'd like. But, late one night, it started playing on tv, maybe HBO. I figured 'I'll give it a half hour'. It was really good.

Ghost World- an indie film based on a small indie comic I've never read. Plus, it's about teen girls, and as a guy, well, you can't 'relate' to the characters. Glad I watched.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 12:38:08 AM »

Heaven's Gate - this was on my list of movies I was curious about due to its reputation and saw it in the library in a Criterion Collection release so I borrowed it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:40:29 AM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 02:47:53 PM »

Titanic (1997) - I didn't see it until about 10 years after it was out, and after doing so I didn't understand why it was such a massive hit, but I don't understand the hate for it, either.  It's a good movie.
I am one of the haters, I do so love to ridicule that movie.  It's true, it has a lot going for it and was a huge hit! 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies you didn't expect to like but... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.