Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:17:59 PM
712917 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Power Rangers « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Power Rangers  (Read 11184 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« on: June 30, 2013, 02:08:08 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but Power Rangers seems perfectly suited for the b-movie crowd. A 'children's show', but it combines several things I like and other b-movie fans like: sci-fi, action, monsters. It's like Star Trek mixed with a Bruce Lee film and add Godzilla style fights with giant monsters battling in a city with cardboard buildings.

I've recently been watching it again. It's still going strong, and is celebrating 20 years on the air. New cast, but they bring back previous actors and such.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
ChaosTheory
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »

Guilty pleasure, definitely (though ULTRAMAN is better  TeddyR).  It's crazy to me how many incarnations of this show there are.  My favorite one was NINJA STORM because the villains were the funniest.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »

The first seven or so seasons tie together quite nicely, culminating in the death of Zordon. Zeo is probably my favorite one in the series. Previous villains Zedd and Rita destroy the rangers powers, but get displaced from their home by new villains. So the rangers find new powers, Zedd and Rita travel about in a mobile home attempting to help destroy the new villains, and Goldar and Rito (two monsters) are suffering from amnesia and get adopted on Earth by the school bullies.

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »

For me, itvwas The Space Giants.
One episode, I reacall they stuck Rodak's mask in a cubbie in a wall to make it look like he was appearing on a monitor.
And the concept of an old wizard trying to teach spirituallity to a family of robots...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 12:16:07 AM »

A local network showed Space Giants when I was very young. I don't recall much, but remember the costumes and title.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 12:19:20 AM »

There was a string of second rate knockoffs in the '90s after PR came out. Notably, Masked Rider, VR Troopers, and a show about kids who befriend a ghost, mummy, werewolf and become heroes called Big Bad Beetle Borgs.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:13:22 AM »

My kids don't watch "Power Rangers" but I've seen commercials for the current series when they watch Nickelodeon and I can't believe it's still going after all these years!!

I worked in the toy department of a K-Mart when the first wave of Power Ranger Mania swept the nation in the early 90s, it was nuts. I had random people calling the department day in and day out asking "Did you get any of the new Tiger Megazord?", or if there was a pallet of boxes out on the floor waiting to be shelved people would be going through the boxes looking for particular figures/vehicles/etc.  Saturday mornings I did more crowd control in the toy department than actual work.  TeddyR

I had never seen the show at this point but curiosity got the better of me so finally I went home one afternoon and turned it on just to see what all the whoop de doo was about. I had to admit, it was pretty neat stuff. I remember thinking "Oh yeah, if I were ten years old, this show would be the cat's ass."  TeddyR
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:15:37 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 04:35:58 PM »

When it started, I was 9 years old. As a kid, we had Ninja Turtles, WWE, Superheroes, and He-Man. Plus, I was a Godzilla fan and regularly watched MST3K, so to me, Power Rangers was great. It had kids that were heroes in costumes, Karate like TMNT, Godzilla style fights, etc.

Plus, the toys....ooohh, the toys were fun. So much so, that I'd created full storylines encompassing all toys I had: essentially, Batman was interacting with Power rangers, Ninja Turtles, WWE, X-Men, etc. in an intergalactic war with all villains. So, you'd have a team with Batman, the Pink Ranger, and Storm facing Magneto, Goldar and Catwoman.

Pacman000
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 06:13:09 PM »

That sounds like it would make an awesome movie HappyGilmore, but the liscensing fees would be murder. Smile
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »

That sounds like it would make an awesome movie HappyGilmore, but the liscensing fees would be murder. Smile
Wink
Indeed. But I had fun mixing and matching. Having Spider-Man and Donatello fight Roddy Piper and Dr. Octopus was fun.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 02:28:52 PM »

My kids don't watch "Power Rangers" but I've seen commercials for the current series when they watch Nickelodeon and I can't believe it's still going after all these years!!

I worked in the toy department of a K-Mart when the first wave of Power Ranger Mania swept the nation in the early 90s, it was nuts. I had random people calling the department day in and day out asking "Did you get any of the new Tiger Megazord?", or if there was a pallet of boxes out on the floor waiting to be shelved people would be going through the boxes looking for particular figures/vehicles/etc.  Saturday mornings I did more crowd control in the toy department than actual work.  TeddyR

I had never seen the show at this point but curiosity got the better of me so finally I went home one afternoon and turned it on just to see what all the whoop de doo was about. I had to admit, it was pretty neat stuff. I remember thinking "Oh yeah, if I were ten years old, this show would be the cat's ass."  TeddyR
They were hard to find. I had my mom, aunts, uncles etc searching.

I stopped watching for a bit, but got back into it a few years ago when they brought in former rangers I knew as a kid.

This year is the twentieth season and they've gotten former rangers together to.come back.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 02:33:03 PM »

I was watching some special features on their new box set dvd's.

The then-president of Fox Kids didn't think Rangers would last. She agreed to air it based on her kid liking the footage he'd watched. Her conditions: it'd only air as a summer series, only at 7:30AM, and only the first 40 episodes produced would air.

It was such a hit by the tenth episode, it started airing in afternoons. By the 20th episode, she ordered two.more seasons.

It's now in it's 20th season.

VenomX73

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »

The original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 1993

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 08:40:57 AM »

I loved this show as a kid, as well as this young lady.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 10:24:43 PM »

I loved this show as a kid, as well as this young lady.

Beautiful girl, there.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Power Rangers « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.