Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:31:15 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Pacific Rim (2013) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pacific Rim (2013)  (Read 10235 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 13, 2013, 12:38:18 AM »

In short:  If you want to see it, you should.  If you're undecided, wait for the $2.00 theater or the Red Box rental.

Slightly Longer:  There's a brief scuffle with a sea monster at the beginning to give our main character some backstory, then an HOUR AND A HALF of character building bulls**t with nary a monster to be seen and the giant robots just hanging around in their docking bays.  After the HOUR AND A HALF of character building bulls**t, there's a FREAKING GREAT AND AWESOME monster battle that is everything a fanboy could ever hope for.  Seriously.  That battle is exactly what I went to the movie to see.  Well done.  I won't go into it any further except to say the ending fight seemed more like a minor scuffle compared to the FREAKING GREAT AND AWESOME monster battle that came before it.  Oh, well.

I was also glad that they didn't end the movie with a setup for a sequel.  The story is pretty much over-and-done.  Good.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
daveblackeye15

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:55:30 AM »

Akira, it could have been worse about this character building stuff you're dissing, would you rather have seen Shia Lebouf whining for nearly two hours? I really liked that long period of introducing the characters because I liked them. I so cannot say that for Bayformers, minus Optimus Prime and Lennox.

I mean this movie is way better than Godzilla Final Wars since we don't have that mutant character getting into four fights, there's just Raileigh's duel with Mori and then beating up Chuck. I know we go to giant monster movies because we like giant monsters and action but there's got to be some story and character or else it'd just be mindless action and we forget why there's action.

Anyway, just my two cents, I'll be seeing for the third time today.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »

I didn't necessarily mind the "plot", just the length of it.  Like I said over in the other thread, cutting out the two scientists (and, alas, Ron Perlman) would have helped tremendously, imho.  An hour and a half between monster fights is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

I'm glad people are liking this and I hope it's a financial success so that more giant monster movies can get greenlighted.  I just didn't like Pacific Rim nearly as much as I'd hoped.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
daveblackeye15

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 04:52:46 PM »

Yeah I see where you're coming from, still I had a blast and just saw it for the third time. It's no Bayformers, thank god!
Funny that Dr. Hell is your avatar, that reminds me that Go Nagi has approved of the film. It's neat that a number of creators of giant robot shows like it.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 02:37:20 AM »

then an HOUR AND A HALF of character building bulls**t with nary a monster to be seen and the giant robots just hanging around in their docking bays.  After the HOUR AND A HALF of character building bulls**t, there's a FREAKING GREAT AND AWESOME monster battle that is everything a fanboy could ever hope for.  Seriously. 

TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 04:52:18 PM »

I thought I just put this out there.It's doing better overseas than it is domestically. The question is whether it is doing well enough to call for a sequel. That still seems to be up in the air.
Neville

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »

I only hope this will be the smash hit that puts Del Toro in a position to film "At the mountains of madness". Saw it yesterday night and I think this could be his best film so far. Alright, it may not be as personal as "Cronos" or "Pan's Labyrinth", but I think it's a definite improvement over the two "Hellboys", which were tons of fun but they left me a bit cold.

Overall, it was like watching a film of this kind for the very first time: the emotions were there, the FX were incredible and the pacing never flags. Even stuff like the characters' stories worked better than I expected. And even better, unlike recent stuff like "Star trek 2" or "World War Z", the whole thing is genuinelly fun to watch.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 08:49:46 PM »

Rim is my personal favoirte BUT not Del Toro's best film easily. I put that towards The Fawn's Labriynth.

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 01:29:48 AM »

Just saw this, and this phrase sums it up for me....

there's a FREAKING GREAT AND AWESOME monster battle that is everything a fanboy could ever hope for. 

Overall, a fantastic movie that has almost everything I like (robots, kaiju), and very little of what I don't (egregeous love interests, snide self referencing, Michael Bay).  They didn't camp it up, they respected the subject, and really produced FREAKING GREAT AND AWESOME monster battle movie.

I would have liked more clarity in the battles to see the robots and kaiju in detail, but thats modern films for you.  LOved it all in all...
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Hammock Rider

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 01:44:17 AM »

It got a nephew and a niece(!) hooked on the Kaiju, so Job Done. Game Over. it's all good etc.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Bushma

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 07:42:23 AM »

I would have liked more clarity in the battles to see the robots and kaiju in detail, but thats modern films for you.  LOved it all in all...
-Ed

Check out the book based on the movie. 

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Rim-Official-Movie-Novelization/dp/1781166781

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 12:43:05 PM »

Cool thanks! I'll atke a look.

I'd like to see a making of thing. 
I love the detail  and effort Del Toro puts in his films. The Making of Hellboy stuff I saw was amazing.  They made everything real, THEN added the CGI. Its adds a depth of beliveability missing from ither films.  

This film deserves to be better knows and lovedin my book
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:55:40 PM by Ed, Ego and Superego » Logged

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 08:44:26 PM »

I only hope this will be the smash hit that puts Del Toro in a position to film "At the mountains of madness".

I've not seen Pacific Rim yet. But I have been waiting for At the Mountains of Madness since I first heard about the pre-production in 2005! It's my favorite H.P. Lovecraft story after The Call of CthulhuSmile

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
daveblackeye15

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »

-Ed

Check out the book based on the movie. 

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Rim-Official-Movie-Novelization/dp/1781166781

The novelization is handy, certainly good for character backgrounds BUT it is not good for monster action. It is rather brief and could have given more insight on what the rangers were feeling in battle. And if there's any clashing then the movie is official, since the novelization has a significant relationship quite different.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 07:32:30 PM »

I have not read the novelization for "Pacific Rim," nor have I seen the film, but I have found on other novelizations, such as the one for "Planet of the Apes," the remake and not the original, where one of the black characters became an Asian, and thus one of the white characters became a black man, that the novelization of a film is often based on an early screen treatment of the film. Thus, the novelization of "Pacifc Rim" was the way it was suppose to be in the film, but before the scene or scenes were shot, it was decided to change it to what you see in the film.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Pacific Rim (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.