Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:46:00 AM
712928 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  12 YEARS A SLAVE (2013) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 12 YEARS A SLAVE (2013)  (Read 11199 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »

That coincides with what I've said all along: it was only the war that gave Lincoln a chance to strike against slavery.
He said in his first inaugural that he had no constitutional power to touch slavery in the states where it already existed,
even if he were inclined to do so.  That being said, everything I have ever read of his writings shows that he loathed
slavery on a visceral level.  But what he could not do under his Presidential authority, he COULD do under the war powers
granted him by the Constitution.  Emancipation was a military blow to the states that were in rebellion, and he was glad
to take that chance.  However, if ALL he wanted to do was weaken the Confederacy militarily by abolishing slavery, he
would not have taken the enormous risk of pushing the 13th Amendment through early in 1865.  Lincoln was afraid that
a post-war court case might declare emancipation unconstitutional and return 4 million people he had freed to bondage,
with all the upheaval and horror that might result from that.  His determination to do away with slavery forever, BEFORE
the war ended and the Courts could attack the Proclamation, shows where his heart was all along.

As for your point, Lester - the North and South had repeatedly compromised over the tariff before the war, and would do
so again after the war.  While it was an ongoing sore point, it was NOT a casus belli the way the expansion of slavery into
the Federal territories was.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 06:07:06 PM »

indiana http://mises.org/daily/952
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »

Average American 1850: "Yes, it bothers my conscience to think of all the things I buy that can be traced back to slave labor, but what can I personally do about it?"

Average American 2014: "Yes, it bothers my conscience to think of all the things I buy that can be traced back to child labor and sweatshops all across the Third World, but what can I personally do about it?"

Average plantation owner 1850: "I'm not breaking any laws or even violating what it says in the Bible."

Average CEO of a big manufacturing company 2014: "I'm not breaking any laws, either here or overseas."

Is the bondage of slavery the same thing as a person freely choosing to work in a sweatshop? No, but each model reveals the hypocrisy and unavoidable complicity of millions in "the way things are." As we feel today about our own economic model, I think that's how the average person felt then about his. Most Americans of the past were neither frantically pro or anti slavery, they just lived daily life in a society in which things were the way they were and had been for a long time.

The number of Americans who owned slaves was small in proportion to the population as a whole, just as today only a small number of Americans own the firms that make deals that see children working in dangerous and arguably immoral conditions making the products we snap up every day without a thought as to how they came to be there. I seriously doubt the CEOs whose companies own the factories in countries with lax labor regulations go to bed at night considering themselves bad people, and I doubt slave owners sat around reviling themselves.

But you know, it's a parlor game to second guess slavery from long ago, to make movies about it that leave you appalled or self-righteous or angry, but why isn't there more of a debate about the fact that slavery is alive and well today, this very minute, across parts of the Islamic world? Rather than worry about the conduct of people dead 150 years, why not focus more on freeing slaves in Sudan? Seems a more constructive use of time.

Oh, but what can I do about it? Exactly...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 06:16:45 PM by ER » Logged

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 06:25:08 PM »

A different analogy might be to South American day laborers. They had tried and white people couldn't take the manual labor in the sun. Black people should have been able to immigrate freely to America and been paid for their labor. The world just wasn't evolved to the point where the white people could accept that. Human beings did a rather poor job of working it out: hundreds of thousands, virtually none of whom had anything to do with the slave trade, were killed.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 05:32:21 AM »

I dont see an argument here-who was wrong-who was right-
It was ALL WRONG-these folks considered themselves Christians-but what they did was evil.
North,South,it shoulda never happened-except lazy rich f**kers didnt want to do real work-HAVE THE n****rS DO IT!
(Kinda like the rich nowadays...which amazes me with Republicans and immigration-you would think they would want the Mexicans in-but I guess there sense of racism over rides there worry about who is gonna do the field work or cut their lawns.  Lookingup)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  12 YEARS A SLAVE (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.