Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:46:03 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  And the killer of Trayvon Martin is found..... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: And the killer of Trayvon Martin is found.....  (Read 11522 times)
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 12:16:43 PM »

I'm not buying into the gun arguement right here, but SLATE.COM has a nice analysis of how and why he is not guilty under Florida law. 
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2013/07/florida_gun_laws_george_zimmerman_acquittal_shows_danger_of_stand_your_ground.html

I think what the news ignores, and many people don't know is that any trial is not "Right vs Wrong" but "Illegal vs Legal".  If they didn't make a legal threshold into illegality, they can't (or shouldn't maybe?) find someone guilty.   
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »

Something I was a little surprised to find out was that on last night's CNN interview with Piers Morgan, Rachel Jeantel said in effect that Martin believed he was being followed by a homosexual looking to pick up a young male. Maybe that's the missing component to all this, that Martin assaulted Zimmerman in an incident of gay bashing.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 01:16:05 PM »

I followed this because it became such a high-visibility issue, including having the President comment on it prior to the trial.  By the evidence presented, I fully agree with the jury:  George Zimmerman is innocent of the crimes he was charged with.

Something I was a little surprised to find out was that on last night's CNN interview with Piers Morgan, Rachel Jeantel said in effect that Martin believed he was being followed by a homosexual looking to pick up a young male. Maybe that's the missing component to all this, that Martin assaulted Zimmerman in an incident of gay bashing.

I do not remember any piece of evidence from the trial supporting this.  Did they provide a reason for that hypothesis?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »

I followed this because it became such a high-visibility issue, including having the President comment on it prior to the trial.  By the evidence presented, I fully agree with the jury:  George Zimmerman is innocent of the crimes he was charged with.

Thanks Andrew, thats what I was trying to fumble through.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 03:02:23 PM »

I do not remember any piece of evidence from the trial supporting this.  Did they provide a reason for that hypothesis?

I don't recall that from the trial either and it surprised me to hear her say that. I just heard some excerpts from the Piers Morgan interview last night re-played on the radio today and when I get home I'm going to see if I can find the entire interview online.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 03:28:49 PM »

I think several things seemed odd about this trial. Zimmerman's family wasn't allowed in the courtroom as they were potential witnesses yet TM's family was. Evidence that the kid wasn't a pristine youth wasn't allowed. The boy's Dad swore he thought it was his son screaming on that 911 tape yet had to admit that he initially told police he wasn't sure. I was shocked that Zimmerman was found not guilty. Even though ballistics evidence showed that when TM was shot he was close enough to be on top of Zimmerman,as he said he was. I do think that it was a tragedy all around,as Indy pointed out....what ifs on both sides. I was pretty annoyed that the prosecuters said it had nothing to do with race...after swearing that Zimmerman was profiling the boy. This was a media feeding frenzy,as all involved intended it to be.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 04:07:56 PM »

My question is that when Zimmerman shot Trayvon, could have he shot Trayvon in the arm or legs to make him stop?

yeah no.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 04:12:11 PM »

When someone is on top of you pounding your head on the concrete and saying "You're gonna die tonight!", you just pull the trigger - at least, that is what I would do in that situation.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 08:56:31 PM »

My question is that when Zimmerman shot Trayvon, could have he shot Trayvon in the arm or legs to make him stop?
Never shoot to wound.  If somebody is crazy enough that you need to shoot them, they might just be crazy enough to shrug off whatever injury you do. 
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 12:00:25 PM »

I think several things seemed odd about this trial. Zimmerman's family wasn't allowed in the courtroom as they were potential witnesses yet TM's family was. Evidence that the kid wasn't a pristine youth wasn't allowed.

The exclusion of Zimmerman's family was perhaps done to avoid a possible courtroom conflict with Martin's family. I don't think too many parents would be happy sitting across from the family of the man who shot and killed their only son.

As to the exclusion of Trayvon's somewhat less-than innocent youth, perhaps the court wanted to prevent the old race-behavior stereotypes that also could have played a role in creating a one-sided jury.  This case had that potential all-around.  Just a thought.

I was pretty annoyed that the prosecuters said it had nothing to do with race...after swearing that Zimmerman was profiling the boy. This was a media feeding frenzy,as all involved intended it to be.

Of course the media will do their job..get everyone riled up, wait for the war to start, and then sit back and sip their lattes in their guarded mansions as they laugh their asses off and pat each other on the back for a job well done. When has THAT ever been different?

This is what they do, it's as natural to them as breathing or sleeping, but the paycheck and the opportunity for book and daytime talk show offers dosen't hurt either..they're a bunch of vampires..
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 03:53:27 PM »

Evidence that the kid wasn't a pristine youth wasn't allowed.

Evidence of bad character is very rarely allowed in a criminal trial as it's presumed to be more prejudicial than relevant.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 10:53:29 AM »

Evidence that the kid wasn't a pristine youth wasn't allowed.

Evidence of bad character is very rarely allowed in a criminal trial as it's presumed to be more prejudicial than relevant.

Basically what I was trying to say, but in my infinite "wisdom" I tend to forget how to shorten and make my words more effective. Thanks for doing it for me, lol  Cheers
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 12:51:17 PM »

I would think that the fact that Treyvon had apparently been in trouble for fighting before would be relevant when the key point in Zimmermann's story is that the young man jumped him and began pounding his head on the ground.  It shows a propensity on the part of the victim to resolve confrontation by means of physical assault.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »

I followed this because it became such a high-visibility issue, including having the President comment on it prior to the trial.  By the evidence presented, I fully agree with the jury:  George Zimmerman is innocent of the crimes he was charged with...
I also followed this story closely.  I have many questions, who doesn't?  As a non-participant my questions are irrelevant. 
I felt that the jury did their job, particularly under Florida law.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 04:50:18 PM »

I would think that the fact that Treyvon had apparently been in trouble for fighting before would be relevant when the key point in Zimmermann's story is that the young man jumped him and began pounding his head on the ground.  It shows a propensity on the part of the victim to resolve confrontation by means of physical assault.

That may arguably be true if Zimmerman knew of Treyvon's propensity for violence, but then he could testify to it himself. There's no need for others to testify to what was in his mind. It's likely irrelevant anyway. If he was reasonably afraid of being assaulted at that moment then it wouldn't really matter whether the person he shot had ever committed an assault prior or not.

P.S. I know nothing about this case and did not pay the slightest bit of attention to it, I'm just bringing up general points of law.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:55:58 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  And the killer of Trayvon Martin is found..... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.