Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:38:21 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Urban Legend (1998) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Urban Legend (1998)  (Read 1671 times)
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 02, 2013, 01:18:34 PM »

I enjoyed this movie when I was younger but more recently discovered how horrible it is - it and that movie ending with Last Summer earned the hate they get.

Given things like production values and acting won't save a slasher movie for many slasher fans, I'll cover the more important aspects - enthusiasm, pacing and inventive kills.

There's a prankster whos only contributions are jokes and pranks until the sequence leading to his death scene. There's a roommate who clashes with the protagonist in every appearance until she gets murdered. These characters seemed like what a writer only concerned with a paycheck would write.

When a film approaches its climax and I'm thinking ''I can't bear this anymore", that only emphasizes how lazily written it was.

The pacing - oh the murders are spread out well enough, but between those we get people playing detective. People don't watch slashers for intelligent writing. They shouldn't attempt to be a whodunnit.

There's also scenes focusing on the protagonist that are a bit like Nightmare on Elm Street, except this time the protagonist suffering any psychological effects from what's going on, so... I don't understand...

The murders are, obviously, from urban legends - the closest they get to being inventive is the audience seeing them instead of merely hearing someone talk about them.

Not even disqualifying anything resembling unintentional humor would change that the average Syfy original is better than this boring dreck.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 01:37:02 PM »

I saw this one fairly recently and enjoyed it... it's not a GREAT flick and the story has more than its share of WTF moments, but Tara Reid was still hot when she made this flick, as opposed to the hot mess that she is now (see: Sharknado).

As far as late 90s "Scream" wanna-be's goes, I would watch this over the "Last Summer" flicks any day.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:01:03 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 05:42:11 PM »

Yeah, I thought it was pretty stupid.. I saw it at the theater and I at least saw some very, very attractive actresses in it.  But plot, dialogue, ending.. pretty darn weak.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Archivist

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 12:36:08 AM »

Is this the movie where someone gets a funnel shoved in their mouth, and drowns when drain cleaner is poured into it?  I've never seen the whole thing, but somehow it was being played on an array of TV's at a department store, many years ago.  A couple of little kids were staring at this scene in horrified fascination!

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 08:56:52 AM »

Is this the movie where someone gets a funnel shoved in their mouth, and drowns when drain cleaner is poured into it?  I've never seen the whole thing, but somehow it was being played on an array of TV's at a department store, many years ago.  A couple of little kids were staring at this scene in horrified fascination!

Yup, that's this flick.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Urban Legend (1998) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.