Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:03:17 AM
713344 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Short or Long reviews? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Short or Long reviews?  (Read 4458 times)
pizdatrica
Dedicated Viewer

« on: July 23, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »

So I was wondering if people felt the same way as me regarding the length of reviews. Personally, I prefer short ones, just a few sentences. Basically, if I am looking for a movie to watch I'm not willing to read through a whole "book" of text, which tells me everything about the movie I am about to watch. Plus, if I am going through reviews on sites such as Rotten Tomatoes, I tend to automatically skip the long ones and just read the short ones where the person's opinion of the movie is nicely said in a few sentences.
VenomX73
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »

Short - with photos if possible.

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 01:47:43 PM »

So I was wondering if people felt the same way as me regarding the length of reviews. Personally, I prefer short ones, just a few sentences. Basically, if I am looking for a movie to watch I'm not willing to read through a whole "book" of text, which tells me everything about the movie I am about to watch. Plus, if I am going through reviews on sites such as Rotten Tomatoes, I tend to automatically skip the long ones and just read the short ones where the person's opinion of the movie is nicely said in a few sentences.

In most cases, I prefer short ones as well. I strive to keep most of my reviews to under 700 words. I find that most writers who submit reviews to my site have a lot of trouble keeping things short and sweet. Writing concisely is a difficult skill to master.

Longer form reviews should be more reflective essays, and address/expand upon some larger theme brought up by the movie. Longer reviews are generally read by people who are already fans (or haters) of the movie and are looking for more insight, rather than people looking for recommendations for something to watch. Two different audiences.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
pizdatrica
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:52:18 PM »

I have a problem with this because I'd like to review some movies on IMDB, but the site has a minimum 10 lines of text limit and sometimes it bothers me, because I am not looking to write some spectacular text about the movie, just my opinion of it in a few sentences. Also, I never read the reviews on IMDB because of them being long (mostly I am on IMDB looking for movies to watch, and I spend a lot of time deciding between what I should watch, I would lose much more time reading loads of text explaining to me the whole plot of the movie).
Bushma
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »

I agree, I also prefer a short review. I will say that even though it adds length I really enjoy Andrew's list of the characters, and the things to watch for. 

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Jitters
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 12:47:48 PM »

I think what Rev. Powell wrote is right on.

I like capsule reviews if I'm scanning for general, overall impressions of a movie I'm considering watching.  I like to read longer reviews after I've seen a movie and want to know others takes on it or their reading of its symbolism, etc.

Generally speaking, short and sweet.  I've never understood why some reviews contain a run-down of plot points.  Why would you want to know what happens before watching?  And if you've already seen the movie, why repeat it?  I like a summary of plot/theme in one sentence.  I almost never read a complete review before seeing a movie I want to watch.
pizdatrica
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 09:28:47 AM »

Another thing I notice in reviews is the colorful vocabulary the reviewers use. Sometimes this works, but other times I find myself somewhat confused, because certain words or metaphors give an unrealistic picture about the movie, so basically I look for reviews that are solid and understandable. A person writing if they liked a movie and the reasons behind it is fine enough.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Short or Long reviews? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.