Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:29:31 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Conjuring (2013) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Conjuring (2013)  (Read 2672 times)
claws
« on: August 03, 2013, 05:25:31 PM »

This might be the best horror film of the year, and the most successful (domestic) R-Rated horror film of the year so far.
I saw this today at the theater and the movie was everything I hoped for. It's creepy, scary and oozing with atmosphere. Plus, no shameless thieving like Insidious did.
If you loved to be scared, check out The Conjuring. My rating: 4.5/5
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 12:35:37 AM by claws » Logged
VenomX73
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:44:10 PM »

I just got back - went to see The Conjuring.

I really liked it. It was very creepy and it had it's scary parts... that's for sure!

Now that I've seen it - I understand this ^ gif I posted a few days ago. - I will say no more. Wink

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 12:25:41 AM »

I'll put my review here

That's right, I finally went to a movie. The Conjuring piqued my interest enough to finally turn off ultimate fighting and go. This is very much this years Paranormal Activity or Blair Witch in some respects, but it's also much more traditional.

I was so weirded out by being in a theater, the odd retro look of the movie, and it's strange rhythm that it's hard to give it a correct sort of judgement. Not much happens in the first half hour and the tension in the theater was palpable. People were kind of like what the hell.

On the one hand I was impressed with the film makers faith in their ultimate payoff, on the other hand it's like how much is too much breathing room? The genius of the movie is it's kind of Muhammed Ali way of setting you up for a scare for minutes then bringing you back into normalcy for a little while, then going back to something scary then coming back in again to do something else. It's a little odd and requires patience and you feel a little tired after a while but it's effective too.

A lot of fairly familiar stuff somehow made new again and good performances by the actors 4.5/ 5
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 12:40:27 PM »

It wasn't exactly "Sinister" or "Dark Skies", but it was above average for Hollywood horror
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »

This movie was pretty much ruined for me by one of the worst theater audiences I have encountered in quite some time. Multiple people doing commentary in full voice, cell phone use, and worst of all a bunch of teenagers who screamed every time anything (scary or not) happened. Truly the kind of experience that makes you want to stay home next time. Regardless I thought this was another fine film from James Wan. Direction wise it's his most capable film and I found it a step up from his last film Insidious which I also enjoyed. Acting was all around solid especially Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga as the investigators. Loved the 70's setting and thought Wan hit it out of the park with his shots from inside and outside the house. On the negative side I will echo that it is all rather familiar to a horror fan but when it's done this well it didn't really bother me. Didn't like the intro with the haunted doll and would rather that not have been included but really only minor complaints. Kind of weird that we're getting another James Wan/Patrick Wilson/haunting movie (Insidious 2) in just a couple months but hey if it's as good as the Conjuring I will happily see it.
VenomX73
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 12:23:39 PM »

This movie was pretty much ruined for me by one of the worst theater audiences I have encountered in quite some time. Multiple people doing commentary in full voice, cell phone use,

Yup. I hear you, man.

I hate when people that sit in front of me with bright smart phones beaming in my face. (texting)

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Conjuring (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.