Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:44:21 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  "Ender's Game" Director Orson Scott Card is now CREEP OF THE WEEK « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Ender's Game" Director Orson Scott Card is now CREEP OF THE WEEK  (Read 12556 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 19, 2013, 02:10:34 PM »

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/18/4536466/enders-game-star-harrison-ford-responds-to-orson-scott-cards-anti-gay

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »

I have a friend on another board who has been looking to see this film in theaters for sometime; therefore, I hope Card's statements don't affect the film's release. I, on the other hand, have no interest in seeing the film. Not because of anything that Card has said, but because I just can't stand the book series upon which the film is based.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 01:44:17 PM »

So opposing gay marriage is now thought crime.

Lock me up.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Javakoala
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 03:34:30 PM »

So opposing gay marriage is now thought crime.

Lock me up.

Kinda my reaction when I read this. Because someone has voiced an opinion at some point in their life, we now have to despise everything connected to them? At the risk of sparking off any crybabies, I have to say that this line of thinking seems dangerously similar to the Nazi movement. But since these people are acting like fascists in the name of "equality", that is supposed to make it okay?

Next thing you know, they'll ruin some celebrity's career because of something they said 30 years ago. Oh, oops, already happened....
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 07:58:51 AM »

I read "Ender's Game" years ago and quite frankly never understood what all the whoop de doo was about it anyway, so I'd be skipping the movie regardless.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 06:29:43 PM »

The bigger issue is that Card comes across as a huge a***ole about it whenever it comes up.  He's always been thoroughly unlikable whenever this stuff is discussed.  He's not merely opposed to gay marriage, but to gay people period.  He comes across as thinking they're less than human.  Maybe I'm reading into it, but that's how it comes across.

That makes him a creep to me.

Love Ender's Game though!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 06:41:27 PM »

If that's the case, I understand people's emotions a bit better.
I hold to a rather old-fashioned view of sexuality, but I still love gay people even if I may disapprove of their lifestyle, and I always try to treat them with respect and courtesy.  You can make a stand for traditional values without being hateful or obnoxious.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 01:32:57 PM »

I hold to a rather old-fashioned view of sexuality, but I still love gay people even if I may disapprove of their lifestyle, and I always try to treat them with respect and courtesy.  You can make a stand for traditional values without being hateful or obnoxious.
I agree with you. I've had several gay friends that I loved like family but I still disagree with the lifestyle. I don't hate them because of being gay but I must stick to my personal views that marriage is for a man and a woman. And I really don't understand stomping all over my views in the name of freedom. Of course,that argument could be used for the other side as well but I look at it as a moral issue,not a political or rights ones. I apologize now if I have offended anyone....these are simply my opinions.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 03:25:46 AM »

I wouldn't say that Card should get the creep of the week award, because he is just a creep in general. Card has been one of the most vociferous anti-gay proponents in recent history. I can understand if you are against gay marriage for whatever beliefs you have, but have you taken the extra step to say that maybe an armed insurrection of a government that approves of that sort of thing would be okay.

Orson Scott Card has said that. I'm sure he was serious at the time, but now he seems to be willing to admit he's lost.

But listen, you really need to separate yourself from the art and the person who made it.

Orson Scott Card wrote Ender's Game, which is a fantastic book. And then he wrote Speaker for the Dead, which is another incredible piece of art. I would argue it's better than the first book.

All I'm saying is that incredible works of art are often made by people who are degenerate pieces of s**t. I absolutely adore Roald Dahl, I think he's written some of the best children's literature ever. But if you want to get into his personal life, he's a monster. Just a complete ass, and anti-Semitic to boot.

Yet he wrote "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar."

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 10:31:40 AM »

Well said.  If I limited my viewings to performers whose politics would agree with mine, I'd be stucking watching nothing but Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bo Derek movies . . . OK, maybe that last one isn't too bad! TeddyR

SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 11:49:57 PM »

Should I be looking forward to the cries of, "Homophobe!" any time I happen to read a Card book now? The guy says things I don't agree with but he keeps his science fiction hard and free of his own beliefs. At least I have to assume so since I didn't find this stuff in any book but rather in the news.

Keep us fighting the for/against war with each other while the ratings and page hits soar. I'll starve them of my portion. Lookingup

Edit: I've apprently confused Orson Scott Card with Alastair Reynolds. My brain runs on a lean mixture. Drink
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:46:49 AM by SynapticBoomstick » Logged

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 02:14:07 AM »

I should say that, while I whole-heartedly endorse both Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, Card's further input into that series has a very sharp drop-off in quality. Xenocide was okay, but Children of the Mind was just dreadful.

He really seems to have a fascination with child geniuses. They pegged him to write the "Ultimate" version of Iron Man for Marvel comics, which featured Tony Stark as a, surprise!, child genius.

The law of diminishing returns is fully in effect for Orson Scott Card. He really hasn't written anything of importance for decades now, and because of his crappy beliefs, I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. These day's he's basically a hack. But he did write those two books, which I think are great.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 01:12:49 PM »

Well put, Indy; as ambassadors of the Kingdom of Heaven, we are calleed upon to speak the truth, but with love, and always recognizing that we, as well, are sinful, imperfect beings, saved from destruction only by the shed blood of Christ.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »

I wouldn't say that Card should get the creep of the week award, because he is just a creep in general. Card has been one of the most vociferous anti-gay proponents in recent history. I can understand if you are against gay marriage for whatever beliefs you have, but have you taken the extra step to say that maybe an armed insurrection of a government that approves of that sort of thing would be okay.

Orson Scott Card has said that. I'm sure he was serious at the time, but now he seems to be willing to admit he's lost.

But listen, you really need to separate yourself from the art and the person who made it.

Orson Scott Card wrote Ender's Game, which is a fantastic book. And then he wrote Speaker for the Dead, which is another incredible piece of art. I would argue it's better than the first book.

All I'm saying is that incredible works of art are often made by people who are degenerate pieces of s**t. I absolutely adore Roald Dahl, I think he's written some of the best children's literature ever. But if you want to get into his personal life, he's a monster. Just a complete ass, and anti-Semitic to boot.

Yet he wrote "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar."

I hear you; Howard Hawks was one of my favorite directors, yet he hated blacks.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  "Ender's Game" Director Orson Scott Card is now CREEP OF THE WEEK « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.