Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:39:58 AM
714231 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7735 Members
Latest Member: WGUNannett
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies you liked better than the book « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Movies you liked better than the book  (Read 16215 times)
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2013, 11:34:40 AM »

The Princess Bride, although only slightly.  The book is really great too, but the performances in the movie give it that slight edge. 

Also, replacing the author's notes with the grandpa scenes worked better. 
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2013, 03:33:19 PM »

Blade Runner was another one. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was rather ho-hum for my tastes.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 09:13:14 PM »

For one I liked Frank Darabont's The Mist more than the Shortstory by Stephen King it was based on. Especially the ending was better and King even approved of it.

And how about Comics? Do they count? I would throw Watchmen in there. The movie was very close to the sourcematerial, but changed the one thing I hated about the comic...the Alien Invasion. Also the normal version didn't have the Black Freighter-sidestory which I always skipped while reading the comic. On the other hand the sidestory was included in the Ultimate Cut, where I really loved it due to the visual style.

AoTFan

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 04:30:53 PM »

Wanted to revive this thread to say, I thought Alive was waaay better than the book it was based, which is surprising considering how much the story itself should have lended itself to a really powerful book.  I think the author just didn't do enough research or have the ability to really convey the survivors as people, their inner thoughts and feelings.  The book itself just comes off as a really dry experience.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2018, 04:56:16 PM »

The one I always cite is Sophia Coppola's film version of The Virgin Suicides. At times the book absolutely ran off-track into grossness and lost its internal thread but the hypnotic sense within the movie stayed on course and had one of the best soundtracks of all time.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 06:01:59 PM »

I'll agree with some that JAWS is much better than the book.
I also agree with Hallows on the SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION-

others-
.FRANKENSTEIN (1931) the book is a total bore.
.DRACULA (1931) The book's journalistic style with all the letters and such- what was that all about?
.the HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1939)- gimme a break.
.the RAVEN (1934 and 1963)- I mean-you can't translate a poem into a good movie. Watching a guy p**s and moan in his room at a raven about his dead girlfriend is not very cinematic.
.the EXORCIST (1973) I like the book-but the movie is much tighter and suspenseful.

I have to disagree with the SHINING (1980)- I don't think one is better than the other. Both worked for me in their respective mediums.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 08:37:14 AM »

Shangani Patrol (1970): the book was a boring textbook while the film was a rip-roaring adventure.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2018, 10:05:09 AM »

The pacing and flow of the story in American psycho was far better in the book than in the movie, although we did miss on a few good scenes. 

The closing narration from the movie actually happens several chapters from the end of the book and the book just keeps going. 
AoTFan

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 11:42:09 PM »

Haven't read it, but I'm told the movie version of Forrest Gump is far better than the book it's based on.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2018, 03:21:32 AM »

I'll agree with some that JAWS is much better than the book.

Agreed: I found the book tedious and the character of Ellen Brody in the book is an awful one.

I have to disagree with the SHINING (1980)- I don't think one is better than the other. Both worked for me in their respective mediums.

My opinion on that film is if you've read the book, the film is bad and if you haven't read the book, the film is great. Now I am confused.  Question
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:49:26 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies you liked better than the book « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.