Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:09:28 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Unknown actor « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unknown actor  (Read 4729 times)
boogiepop
New Visitor

« on: August 19, 2013, 02:37:30 AM »

Hello everyone,

I hope this isn't too off from the point of this section of the forum. The thing is, I've been scouring the net for the name of an actor  and I just can't find it no matter how hard I search. I don't remember much of anything of the movies he was in, but his face is very clear in my memory. He would appear in dark, noir films in the early 90s, often as a detective or alcoholic but always the lead. He might have even been a romantic lead, too. He had huge bags under his eyes, often a five o'clock shadow and had a French sounding last name (as I recall.) I have this feeling it started with a B, but I've looked long over lists of actor's names and have not gotten anything yet. I just remember the films all having a serious tone, which seemed to emit naturally from him. (At least it seemed that way to me. Like the films were made specifically for him.) They might have been independent.

I don't think he was in any cult films, which is maybe why he has been completely forgotten. I always thought he was pretty cool when I was a kid and would very much like to catch one of his movies if I can.

Sorry I can't be any more detailed than that. If I think of more, I'll add it.

Thanks for reading! And thanks in advance to anyone who can give me any info or methods of searching.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »

Only person that pops into my mind is Jean Reno, but I don't think that's what you're thinking.

Do you remember anything more about the movies he was in? Were they foreign films? Released in theaters or straight-to-video?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 01:40:44 PM »

Another one that pops to mind is Rutger Hauer.  He plays a frighteningly realistic alcoholic in a few films.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 02:14:02 PM »

Tcheky Karyo perhaps?

boogiepop
New Visitor

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:11:25 PM »

Thank you gents so much for the above guesses. They are appreciated.
He has a long face like Jean Reno, but hair more like Tcheky Karyo except a little more curly (but still unkempt.) His eyes were baggy as hell like Reno's, too.

Jean Reno is a well-known name and Rutger Hauer has made a big mark in the B movie realm. I think this guy is a rung below either of them. I've never even heard of Tchevy Karyo before, so maybe that's about the level of fame (or I'm just too ignorant of Karyo's work. Maybe that's something I should fix.)

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced he did foreign films, probably with limited theatrical releases. They didn't have that campy, straight to video feel to them.

I'm really wracking my brain trying to come up with anything... a name... a scene... but nothing wants to surface. If my old man were still around, I bet he'd have the name in a heartbeat. Not that that helps, though.

Are there any good foreign film sites that include lower budget fare that you guys could suggest?

Again, my thanks.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:19:40 AM »

I was wondering if your guy wasn't Phillipe Nahon of I Stand Alone, Irreversible and The Crimson Rivers fame.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rayo Casablanca
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 11:26:23 AM »

How about Stephen Rae?
boogiepop
New Visitor

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:38:01 PM »

You, sir, are AWESOME!

Yes, it's Stephen Rae.

Man was I wrong about the French thing. Yesterday after wracking my brain, I could remember something of his voice and was going to post today that I thought he might be English. Big help I am. Sheesh...

Well, you've certainly made my day. Thank you all so much. I really, truly appreciate you all going through the trouble. Now I can sleep at night (or rather stay up watching his films!) :D
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Unknown actor « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.