Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:22:40 PM
714251 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Some input, please! « previous next »
Poll
Question: How do I go to FanExpo with my son without causing him to die of embarrassment?
Throw him in at the deep end: get him there and split. - 2 (11.1%)
Go with him and after getting in go our separate ways (letting him know where I plan to be so I can play 'Bank of Mom' as needed). - 12 (66.7%)
Go with him, shadowing him at a respectful distance (being a little more readily available) - 4 (22.2%)
Stay a bit closer, but ignore/pretend I don't notice him unless he approaches with intent. - 0 (0%)
Move Heaven and Earth to find a responsible friend or family member to go with him - anyone but his Mom! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Some input, please!  (Read 3329 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« on: August 18, 2013, 06:39:34 AM »

FanExpo is on next weekend in Toronto.  My 15 y.o. son would like to attend.  Very much.  Last year he went with his older brother (who is in his 20's).  I said he could go this year as an early birthday present.  The problem is, he is not prepared to go into the city by himself and it turns out nobody is available to go with him but me.  So the question becomes: is it a fate worse than death if your mother goes to a con with you?

(It's not like I don't want to go!  Does that make it worse?  Your Mom jumping up and down because she spotted - for example - Ron Perlman?  BounceGiggle )

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 06:54:42 AM »

If you feel comfortable with it, I would advise letting him go do his own thing, with some set meeting times to check on him/be his money machine/satisfy yourself that he is okay. You may get there and find he wants you around, depending on just how big the thing is and how easily intimidated he is by huge events. I was surprised that when I took my daughter (at 19) to a fairly large con, she pretty much just hung out with me and was happy to do so (but then, I am a super cool parent  Lookingup ). People at these things tend toward the honest end of the human scale; they are all there to enjoy themselves with people they can more or less identify with, so you should have less to worry about in regard to safety. So I say let the baby bird test his wings a bit.

Unless, of course, you revel in embarrassing him. If that's the case, stick by his side, fix his hair and clothing, call him by silly nicknames that you would never use anywhere else, and talk about how cute the girls are and how he should go talk to them, even offering to do so for him. That could be a whole different level of fun. In fact, you should threaten to do these things no matter what you decide.

And if you can talk to Ron Perlman, tell him I think he's a great actor. And feel free to jump up and down a bit; it's a fan convention, after all.  Smile

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 08:00:31 AM »

I'd let him do his own thing until I'd lulled him into a false sense of security, then wait until he was talking to a pretty girl and suddenly show up with "Oh hi I see you've met my son, isn't he just the most adorable little thing!!!" 

Or I suppose you could follow Derf's advice, which is actually good  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Javakoala
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 09:01:10 AM »

My dad took me to my first sci-fi convention. He didn't embarrass me. Hell, he was the one who was lost and confused, not me. I ended up introducing him to a lot of different things that weekend. Suffice to say, the man was not a "fan".

Since you are a fan, Newt, I echo the other responses: Give the kid as much free-roaming as he can handle. Within reason, let him decide what he wants to do. Ask him to check in with you if there are any scheduled events he wants to attend (so you'll know where and when, and so you can go if it interests you).

And tell him cosplay girls are for looking, not touching.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 01:09:10 PM »

Number is the best bet here.

yeah no.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 12:29:34 AM »

FanExpo is on next weekend in Toronto.  My 15 y.o. son would like to attend.  Very much.  Last year he went with his older brother (who is in his 20's).  I said he could go this year as an early birthday present.  The problem is, he is not prepared to go into the city by himself and it turns out nobody is available to go with him but me.  So the question becomes: is it a fate worse than death if your mother goes to a con with you?

(It's not like I don't want to go!  Does that make it worse?  Your Mom jumping up and down because she spotted - for example - Ron Perlman?  BounceGiggle )

I chose 3: go and enjoy - seeing that you like Ron Perlman, how about dressing as Beauty to his Beast? Smile
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:48:01 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 09:04:22 AM »

Personally, I'd dress up as Ron Pearlman if I were you.

Seriously though, go with option 2.   It will be more fun for both of you.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 11:44:02 AM »

Fan conventions in general are an "all ages" affair, so the stigma of being there with your parents is much lessened. It's not like he's having to get you to drive to a club.

I voted for #3, but I'd pretty much let your son take the lead on this one (within reason). If he wants to stick with you or if he wants to do his own thing, either way works. I'd keep track of his physical location, but I'm sure you'd be doing that anyway. Whatever happens, you'll get to enjoy yourself because fan conventions are a lot of fun.

Of course, another option is to go in full-on cosplay that he doesn't know about and stalk him like a ninja. Something to consider.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 01:04:15 PM »

I liked the idea of going with him then parting with a meeting place set up. I don't know who is more embarrassed by their parents,teenage boys or girls. I know my own daughter seemed pretty flaked out by me when she was 15.....luckily,she has gotten into comics and sci fi and monster movies now. Though I still manage to embarrass her....so good for me. TeddyR

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 01:17:41 PM »

I'd say that Derf's advice is the best...let him be who he is and give him his space save for the necessary things, like establishing meeting places and time limits and such.  He might find a new confidence knowing he handles such a big thing mostly by himself save for the necessary parental guidelines.
One thing I can tell you though, is watch out, because you yourself might become a fan girl and the next thing, you'll be the one getting lost in the comic\model kit dealer rooms spread all over the place.
I speak from experience (not about becoming a fan girl, but getting lost in the experience)  BounceGiggle  Above all, have fun! These tings don't come along too often.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 01:21:53 PM »

I liked the idea of going with him then parting with a meeting place set up. I don't know who is more embarrassed by their parents,teenage boys or girls. I know my own daughter seemed pretty flaked out by me when she was 15.....luckily,she has gotten into comics and sci fi and monster movies now. Though I still manage to embarrass her....so good for me. TeddyR

I agree with Trace, and I often go out of my way to embarrass our daughter.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 01:32:28 PM »

At 15 he should be independent enough to go his own way and just meet you now and then.  I'd suggest giving him funds for food and whatever spending cash is reasonable.  If he runs into something outside of that, then talking to you about the want to spend more would be required. 

The only reason I would recommend you even being around the area is that he is going alone, and even adults benefit from using a buddy system when doing anything.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 05:08:02 AM »

Please (a) let us know how it went and (b) let us know if you bumped into these guys:  Buggedout TeddyR TeddyR

BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Some input, please! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.