Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:18:43 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  even if you really hate rap/hiphop... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: even if you really hate rap/hiphop...  (Read 8963 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: August 29, 2013, 12:57:51 AM »

surely you still must be able to see there's a million miles between stuff like this (language warning)

Small | Large

and stuff like this

Small | Large

tracks like the first vid are what rap means now, and kind of makes me embarrassed to admit I listen to 'rap'. the 2nd vid is stuff I do like...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 03:58:16 PM »

Hey! To each his own,ya know? I'm not a rap fan although I used to kinda like DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince....guess it's a Will Smith thing. Wink

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:00:35 PM by tracy » Logged

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
VenomX73

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:50:38 PM »

I grew up in the city - everybody had boomboxes, everybody's favorite movie was Breakin' (1984)...

So I was around alot of early rap no doubt about it. 80's RUN DMC, LL COOL J, FATBOYS.

Small | Large

In the 90's Vanilla Ice, SNOW, WUTANG CLAN, NWA...

Small | Large

Now I listen to everything... rap wise I like Gucci Mane because of THE BAsssss.

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 03:57:13 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yxbOsUtYNQ

... vid is stuff I do like...
I like that.  Though I think much current music is crap, I've always liked Rap and Hip hop...
2008:
Small | Large

1989:
Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 05:43:05 PM »

Ah, another chance to post my favorite modern rapper, Froggy Fresh. Let's see, what haven't I posted yet?

Small | Large

Old school? This is prehistoric [NSFW: language]:

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 09:38:04 PM »

Small | Large

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 02:35:03 AM »

Hey! To each his own,ya know? I'm not a rap fan although I used to kinda like DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince....guess it's a Will Smith thing. Wink

Some of their stuff was cool. Jazzy Jeff made a really good album about 5 years ago. Will Smith...not my scene so much but hey   Smile

Now I listen to everything... rap wise I like Gucci Mane because of THE BAsssss.

not gonna lie...that is the kind of stuff I hate! But if you like Run DMc and WU TANG 90s stuff too then I know you've got taste so I won't argue Thumbup

I thought you would like some good stuff. Nobody beats the biz.

Ah, another chance to post my favorite modern rapper, Froggy Fresh. Let's see, what haven't I posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tQvHbxRoMg

Haha...This guy is actually better than 99% of rappers I hear on the radio now!

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »

I'm a metal dude, always have been, but when I was in high school in the mid 80s I had a job at a lumber yard and I was the only white kid on the crew. The rest of the guys I worked with were African-American and a couple of years older than me. The guy who drove the fork lift always had a HUGE boom box riding on the back with him, absolutely blasting stuff like Public Enemy, Schooly D, EPMD, Ice-T, etc., etc. -- y'know, the old school stuff. This would've been 1986-87.

MTV wasn't playing a lot of hip hop around this time Yo! MTV Raps" was a few years away yet) so at first this music was kinda terrifying to a white boy from the suburbs like me (especially Public Enemy, who had that whole paramilitary thing going on with their imagery and lyrics...haha)... but after hearing tracks like this all day every Saturday for a few months I couldn't help but start diggin' it. After a while I was even able to pick up some of the lyrics, which would crack up the other guys in the crew if they heard me muttering along with, say, "Miuzi Weighs A Ton" -- "Daaaaamn, you hear dis white boy droppin' some rhymes!"  

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

It wasn't till a couple of years after this that Anthrax teamed up with Public Enemy and covered "Bring the Noise," .... and suddenly that made it OK for all the metal kids to dig P.E. -- I'd see kids at metal shows wearing Public Enemy shirts and was like "Pffft. Bunch of Johnny-come-latelies. I was hip to that sh*t FOUR YEARS AGO."  TeddyR
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:22:55 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »

I'm a metal dude, always have been, but when I was in high school in the mid 80s I had a job at a lumber yard and I was the only white kid on the crew. The rest of the guys I worked with were African-American and a couple of years older than me. The guy who drove the fork lift always had a HUGE boom box riding on the back with him, absolutely blasting stuff like Public Enemy, Schooly D, EPMD, Ice-T, etc., etc. -- y'know, the old school stuff. This would've been 1986-87.

MTV wasn't playing a lot of hip hop around this time Yo! MTV Raps" was a few years away yet) so at first this music was kinda terrifying to a white boy from the suburbs like me (especially Public Enemy, who had that whole paramilitary thing going on with their imagery and lyrics...haha)... but after hearing tracks like this all day every Saturday for a few months I couldn't help but start diggin' it. After a while I was even able to pick up some of the lyrics, which would crack up the other guys in the crew if they heard me muttering along with, say, "Miuzi Weighs A Ton" -- "Daaaaamn, you hear dis white boy droppin' some rhymes!"  

lol, that whole scenario almost sounds like it could've been the premise for an 80s sitcom  TeddyR

metal and hip hop have a bigger connection than some people realise tbh... Kerry King from Slayer did a solo on beastie boys first album, Public Enemy sampled Slayer on 'She Watch Channel Zero' also... plus the PE/Anthrax collab you mentioned. there was a cool metal/rap band called The Goats who did some good stuff... rage against the machine's first album...etc etc

btw here's my hip hop/rap CD collection last year before I moved house. it's in storage now

that's all rap, got about the same amount of CDs again for 'other genres'... (yes I have a problem  Smile)

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 10:53:32 PM »

Here I go again. 
I never was a huge BLONDIE fan, but a fan and I did like the band, and they are not only in my wheelhouse, I owned at least a few BLONDIE records on vinyl (now I only have Parallel Lines on CD upload).  BLONDIE peaked in (what?) 1979?  I think it was 1980 and the really great band BLONDIE was on "the skids" with their album AutoAmerican... one of the singles from such was "Rapture" which is one of my most favorite records, and I still think the first real presence of RAP on the American singles chart.  Please let me know who preceded BLONDIE; it fascinates me. 

Small | Large

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 11:16:07 AM »

The track that is generally recognised as the first ever rap track is 'Personality Jock' by Fatback Band. It's from 1979. There was obviously earlier groups doing stuff similar to rap like Last Poets that Rev posted, but that stuff is more like spoken word.

Whether that Blondie track came before it I don't know. Unlikely but possible...

jaza0t2R40c

(The proper rapping bit comes in at 3:20)

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »

The track that is generally recognised as the first ever rap track is 'Personality Jock' by Fatback Band. It's from 1979. There was obviously earlier groups doing stuff similar to rap like Last Poets that Rev posted, but that stuff is more like spoken word.
Whether that Blondie track came before it I don't know. Unlikely but possible...
jaza0t2R40c
(The proper rapping bit comes in at 3:20)
"Rapture" went to #1 in the USA (Billboard Top 40) in February, 1981.  I know there are earlier records that Rap... uhm, but I was talking about Rap on the charts...   FATBACK BAND didn't chart any record in the USA (at least not higher than 41). 

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 07:56:22 PM »

I mostly dig older rap and hip hop, like these
Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

However, there are newer artists I truly like.
Kid Cudi
Small | Large

B.O.B.
Small | Large

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »

Here I go again.  
I never was a huge BLONDIE fan, but a fan and I did like the band, and they are not only in my wheelhouse, I owned at least a few BLONDIE records on vinyl (now I only have Parallel Lines on CD upload).  BLONDIE peaked in (what?) 1979?  I think it was 1980 and the really great band BLONDIE was on "the skids" with their album AutoAmerican... one of the singles from such was "Rapture" which is one of my most favorite records, and I still think the first real presence of RAP on the American singles chart.  Please let me know who preceded BLONDIE; it fascinates me.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SIRG0QOEkyM

Long time Blondie fan here. Say...did you ever listen to any of their 1999 album "No Exit"? It was a good one,especially the title track.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 03:05:04 PM by tracy » Logged

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »

I don't dislike the form, per se....I also like DJJJ&TFP,  Whodini's "Haunted House Rap", and even my favorite artist, Todd Rundgren, has done rap on a couple albums.

My problem is with the negativity, the anger, and the mangling of standard English, as it encourages similar behavior. Also, I don't understand glorifying a toxic environment like the ghetto; it's like Jews doing peans to Auschwitz, almost.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  even if you really hate rap/hiphop... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.