Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:01:48 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most pointless 'remake' of all? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Most pointless 'remake' of all?  (Read 49083 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »

Agree with AHD about that trailer. Still the film has Julianne Moore so perhaps it isn't all bad?....doesn't look particularly good from that trailer though.

Some more forgettable remakes that so do not come close to replacing the originals:

The Time Machine (2002)
War of the Worlds (2005)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)
I Am Legend (2007)
Godzilla (1998)
Rollerball (2002)
The Haunting (1999)
The Stepford Wives (2004)
The Omen (2006)

Now who out there actually thinks of these films before the original versions? Out of them, I suspect only I Am Legend might get some votes over the original Last Man on Earth and Omega Man but certainly not from me, that's for sure.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2013, 07:58:45 PM »

Agree with AHD about that trailer. Still the film has Julianne Moore so perhaps it isn't all bad?....doesn't look particularly good from that trailer though.

Some more forgettable remakes that so do not come close to replacing the originals:

The Time Machine (2002)
War of the Worlds (2005)
I Am Legend (2007)
Godzilla (1998)
Rollerball (2002)
The Haunting (1999)
The Omen (2006)

Now who out there actually thinks of these films before the original versions? Out of them, I suspect only I Am Legend might get some votes over the original Last Man on Earth and Omega Man but certainly not from me, that's for sure.
Believe it or not, I felt WAR OF THE WORLDS (that's the SPIELBERG one, right?) had merit and was a bit disturbing, with some great visuals (all the flags were reminiscent of a terrible time).. the rest I've mostly seen and you're right.  They're sh!t. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2013, 06:01:17 AM »

King Kong 1976 is my #1 favorite remake.

Really? I saw it at the movie house when it came out.
No dinosaurs-just a really lame snake.
The only remakes I have seen that were worth a f**k were Carpenters The THING,the  1978  INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (which gave a nod to the original with Kevin McCarthy running down the street screaming "Your next! Your next!"),and Hammer's reboot of the Kharis mummy films-Christopher Lee was the scareist mummy EVER.
Movies like LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT are best left undone. With all the torture movies out there now-who gives a f**k.It's a joke

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2013, 04:34:03 PM »

Merch, do you like The Fly? the Jeff Goldblum remake I mean... don't think I've ever seen anyone say they prefer the 50's original (which I've never seen)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »

They're actually two very different films. The 50s Fly film is more fun, a few scares here and there, perhaps a few black humor moments too, plus some gross out moments while the 80s remake is I'd argue more terrifying and perhaps even grosser.

I thought the 1988 Blob remake was pretty decent too even if I do prefer the original. Can't think of too many remakes after 1990 that were particularly good.

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »

no, me neither...

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/upcoming-movie-remakes/
just found this list from 2010 of planned remakes. a few were slated for this  year which we haven't seen yet... Mad Max, Pet Cemetary, Point Break

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2013, 12:53:15 AM »

The Time Machine (2002)
War of the Worlds (2005)
I Am Legend (2007)
Godzilla (1998)
Rollerball (2002)
The Haunting (1999)
The Omen (2006)

Believe it or not, I felt WAR OF THE WORLDS (that's the SPIELBERG one, right?) had merit and was a bit disturbing, with some great visuals (all the flags were reminiscent of a terrible time).. the rest I've mostly seen and you're right.  They're sh!t. 

I'll second you, AHD.  I am not a big Cruise fan, but I thought the War of the Worlds remake had merit.    HOOOOOOONK!   Zap.    People getting blasted out of their shoes.  The visuals worked.  Now, there was another remake... I only saw the trailer.  It looked like the bad kind of bad.

I, for one, completely hated the Jackson King Kong remake.  It represented what you get when you mostly don't rein in Jackson's excesses --  poor pacing, subpar gratuitousness.    Either go full on unrestrained Jackson (Bad Taste) or better-restrained (LotR).   

Godzilla remake...  Completely, 100% do not remember it.  And wasn't there a 1985 one too?    I know I saw it, but I don't remember a thing. 
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2013, 11:36:56 AM »

I, for one, completely hated the Jackson King Kong remake.  It represented what you get when you mostly don't rein in Jackson's excesses --  poor pacing, subpar gratuitousness.    Either go full on unrestrained Jackson (Bad Taste) or better-restrained (LotR).   
I'm with you on that one.  I didn't want a "cute" King Kong.  I didn't want one that was relate-able.  I liked the old version.  He was a wild animal that panicked and rampaged because that's what wild animals do when they're scared and angry.  They don't have funny ice skating scenes.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2013, 10:56:57 PM »

I know some liked it but I hated the Halloween (2007) remake. Thought King Kong was just OK. In fact, I also prefer the 70s film version over that one. None compares to the original IMO though.

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2013, 12:34:33 AM »

I'm with you on that one.  I didn't want a "cute" King Kong.  I didn't want one that was relate-able.  I liked the old version.  He was a wild animal that panicked and rampaged because that's what wild animals do when they're scared and angry.  They don't have funny ice skating scenes.

Yeah, I don't know what is up with liberal Hollywood giving our movie villains "feelings" nowadays. Joss Whedon is reportedly doing the same with one of my favorite Marvel villains, Ultron, in the upcoming Avengers 2 movie. One of the most endearing qualities of Ultron in the comic books was that he was a heartless bastard. I don't care what he is "feeling" or what made him that way. I mean, did we care how Satan got to be so bad in the Bible? Hell no! None of us cared that God kicked Satan out of heaven for being a bad angel. All we cared about was that Satan was a badass.

Silly liberal Hollywood will never get it right. A conservative Hollywood would leave comic book villains just the way they are: bad. With a healthy dose of God, guns, and girls thrown in, the good ol' American way!

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2013, 03:58:39 AM »

So last night the remake of The Karate Kid was on TV. I never had any intention of watching it, but I thought what the hey.

This is well up there as one of the silliest. The thing that makes NO sense to me if the fact that the kid is learning Kung Fu and not karate. I'm not all that clued up on martial arts, but I have always been under the impression that the two are different? I could be wrong.

All this and it's 2 HOURS AND 20 MINS LONG!!!!!!!

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2013, 07:28:53 AM »

the one with Will Smith's son? he just annoys me, lol

Other day I was looking through DVD's in the shop  and saw this

I haven't seen it, but I'm sticking it here anyway. that's how convinced I am of its pointlessness. (unless anyone can prove otherwise)

crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2013, 08:26:33 AM »

the one with Will Smith's son? he just annoys me, lol

Thats the one and I couldn't agree more.

messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »

A recent example would be Old Boy...Huge fan of the original, but the remake was just s**t.
Also:
The Karate Kid - Too long and I just hate Jaden Smith. Only good thing was Jackie Chan. I won't even mention the whole "Karate/Kung Fu"-Thing.
The Grudge - Compared to the Ringu-Remake I thought this one was boring as hell.
Funny Games - Not really a bad remake, but it's absolutely pointless because it's the same movie frame by frame just with american actors.
The Fog - I love the Original, but what they did with the remake was a joke.

Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2013, 11:15:29 AM »

And it now appears that The Terminator is getting remade. That's pretty damn high on my "Why? WHYYYYY?!?!?!?!" list.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most pointless 'remake' of all? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.