Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:55:38 AM
713341 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Once Upon A Time In China *spoilers* « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Once Upon A Time In China *spoilers*  (Read 2339 times)
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 07, 2013, 04:48:48 PM »

I remember loving this in high school. It's a bigger buget epic that hit all the right notes. I mean the big final battle has Jet Li curbstomping his opponent really easily and yet its still a really great fight.

I might be way wrong here but I thought there were two cuts to this film, one longer and one shorter and I think my memory of the shorter version was completely re-written by the longer version. I may just be getting two films completely different. I can't help but think there is a martial art movie out there with an expanded cut and that's pretty uncommon.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Jim H

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 08:58:37 AM »

At 134 minutes, this is a pretty long film by Hong Kong standards.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a cut down western release, that happens today (Red Cliff, for instance) and has happened in the past (another John Woo film is a good example - Bullet in the Head has a cut down version, as well as a LOT of lost footage originally intended for inclusion).  You might try looking for old VHS dubbed copies - sometimes you'll find an interesting re-edit, though almost always the original is best.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 04:39:35 PM »

Oh it's not so much I'm looking for the shorter version, not one bit since I got the impression I saw a longer cut and liked it more. This was just me thumb uping the film and asking if there was a cut version if I was remembering the wrong film.

I need to get the second one and third one, maybe I'd like the third more now.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Archivist

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 03:59:41 AM »

This is such a great movie.  It utterly blew me away when I saw it in the early 90's, along with some of Jet Li's other incredible movies like The Tai Chi Master and Fist of Legend.

It seems there was a US release that was cut by 35 minutes!  More details here:

http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2732637

The cuts were to character scenes and a bit of the fight scenes, more to shorten the movie and make it more accessible to Western (read: dumb American) audiences.  It often galls me how American distributors change artwork, theme music and even translations just to make foreign movies sit better with Johnny Sixpack from Podunk.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 01:07:45 AM »

At 134 minutes, this is a pretty long film by Hong Kong standards.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a cut down western release, that happens today (Red Cliff, for instance) and has happened in the past (another John Woo film is a good example - Bullet in the Head has a cut down version, as well as a LOT of lost footage originally intended for inclusion).  You might try looking for old VHS dubbed copies - sometimes you'll find an interesting re-edit, though almost always the original is best.

The original versions of Hong Kong kung fu movies are often superior to their Western counterparts. Jackie Chan's The Legend of the Drunken Master (2000), released as Drunken Master 2 (1994) in Hong Kong, is a perfect example. The sound effects were better, and the English dubbing and Hollywood "realistic" sound effects really detracted from what made the original so much better. It was the exact same movie with the only major edit being where they cut out the original ending which had Jackie Chan becoming mentally retarded after drinking the kerosene in the foundry during the final fight scene; I guess they didn't want to offend American audiences with a comical retarded person or something, which I found silly because...well, you shouldn't drink kerosene. DUH!

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Once Upon A Time In China *spoilers* « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.