Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2015, 03:21:31 AM
557489 Posts in 42584 Topics by 5500 Members
Latest Member: BVLAubrey Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622]
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 744573 times)
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9315 on: November 23, 2015, 12:10:39 PM »

The Wild Man of the Navidad (2008) -

twitter sized review =  Bigfoot thing munches on southerners. best use of non actors since Kids. It's like a big Ewok 5/5

This got a great review in Shocking Cinema which made me think it was going to stink. I'd been burned by them before with the fake Cannibal Holocaust movie and some other one. Other recs have been good but the ones they put in the first review place oh man forget it who cares

The closest thing I can compare it to is that one by the Blair Witch guy with all the go pro cameras. This on the other hand takes place in a southern border town where no one even has a cell phone. They drink moonshine, talk s**t in this local bar, go hunting and somehow have enough money to live we don't ask about that. They are so attached to the bar when one of them gets injured he goes there not the hospital. The locals appear to be played by actual locals and they give it a nice authenticity despite their marginal acting skills.

The arrangement that kept the thing at bay falls apart and now it's going crazy. It also looks kind of like the thing from "Godmonster of Indian Flats". It just can't help killing and eating everything so what are you gonna do? it's an IFC film so you know it's going to get a little cerebral. There are allusions to southern history: A quasi lynching party is formed and one of the men remarks "just like the old days". This will either p**s you off or give it depth I thought the latter. I'm sure a few people here have seen this. I liked it better than similar movies like Jug Face or the one with the zombie trailer park

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:12:59 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9316 on: November 23, 2015, 01:08:04 PM »

ME AND EARL AND THE DYING GIRL (2015): A bright but unassuming high school student movie geek, who makes short parodies of classic films (like "Pooping Tom") with his "coworker" Earl, forms a friendship with a female classmate who has contracted leukemia. Well-crafted coming-of-age pick with all the right sweet and bitter notes, plus lots of in-jokes and references for film fans. Major complaint: would have liked to see the footage from "Eyes Wide Butt." 4/5.

THE FORBIDDEN ROOM (2015): Guy Maddin (with collaborator Evan Johnson) creates a labyrinth of absurd tales---men trapped in a submarine with no air, an apprentice lumberjack setting out to rescue a girl kidnapped by bandits, a bone surgeon named "Dr. Bones" who falls in love with an accident victim---that fit inside each other like a Chinese puzzle box of wonders, all done in shifting vintage film styles. Fragmentation itself is the unifying theme of what is Maddin's most surreal film in quite some time---maybe ever---but there is a treasure of humor and visual invention to savor in this plotless montage, especially for those who are already Maddin-mad. 4/5.

"About twenty minutes into it, you'll be ready for it to be over. It won't be. It goes on for TWO SOLID HOURS. In order to calm down, you'll need some kind of light romantic comedy to watch, maybe something starring Freddy Krueger."-Joe Bob on SHOCKER

« Reply #9317 on: November 23, 2015, 04:19:02 PM »

There is a film. I have known about it for some time, a German film about a German serial killer, but . . .?! I have ne'er seen it. Then a poster to another board, which I am registered, recommended it, so I looked for a copy of the film, and when I found it, I watched it.

It is not the 1st German film about this serial killer. There is also 1931's "M," which is less historical, whereas the killer's victims were all males, between the ages of 10 and 22, with the average age being 16 and a half, the victims in "M" were all girls, or, as I remembered it, a combination of boys and girls, but . . .?! the better film.

Better story.
More focused instead of all o'er the map.
Fewer extraneous scenes. You can take a lot out of the later film and not miss anything.
More sympathy for the victim.
And where my sympathy lies. More sympathy for the families of the victims.

Better directing.
While the later film is the best film by the director, he is no Fritz Lang, who directed "M."
Indeed, the director rivals Uwe Boll for directing the most bad films in the German film industry,

Better acting
Peter Lorre who played the serial killer in "M" is the better actor than the actor in the later film. Better at depicting his mental breakdown. Though that may not be the fault of the actor, as the breakdown in the later film is depicted off screen, while the breakdown is depicted on screen in "M."
Though, the actor in the later film does out act Lorre in one aspect. While Lorre is known for his creepy characters, including the one in "M." The one here outdoes him in the creepiness department. When he sees a pretty boy he wants to take home with him, so he can rape and then kill the boy, he gets this really strange expression on his face, and then he starts to lick his lips. It just really creeps you out.
And whereas most actors look to play characters that are likable, one has to say something about the courage of actor who plays such an unlikable character.

There are several other weaknesses to the film.
The actor in the later film is made to look more like Peter Lorre than the historical serial killer. Thus, reminding you of Lorre.
Just as I thought. The later film was moved to the present day for economic reasons. The weakness in that is that the real serial killer was a product of his time, or 50 years, before the film was made. Thus, weakening the story.
The film should go into more details about the killer's life outside of the killings, and it does not.
It is unclear, unlike "M," whether it is trying to elicit sympathy for the killer.
And the film is not seamless, unlike "M," as to you can see the stitches used to sew the set pieces together.

Still . . .?! Despite its weaknesses and it not being as good as "M," I found it an interesting film to watch.
Interesting how the parts made up the whole, especially, as I am not that familiar with German films.
If serial killers are said to have an interesting life, before they start killing, then the one in the film had one of the more interesting lives.
And the rarity of the film was interesting.
--Rare. Though, there are more films out there about serial killers then I thought, many by this director, films about serial killers are rare.
--Rarer. Even in books about serial killers, seldom do you find stories, where all the victims are male. Either they are all female or a combination of male and female.
--Rarest. And unlike most films about serial killers, which are grade Z schlock, this was a quality production.

Finally, 2 suggestions and a warning.
1st suggestion. Understand German. While there are English subtitles, I think one loses something, when the film has to resort to subtitles to understand it.
2nd suggestion. Read up about the serial killer depicted in the film. It actually helps one to appreciate the film.
And a warning. Whereas, most nudity in most films is female. Here all the nudity is male, and some of it is underage nudity.

Thus . . .
The film is "Tenderness of the Wolves."
The director is Ulli Lommel.
The writer and star is Kurt Raab.
The producer, who also stars in a small role, is Rainer Werner Fassbinder.
The only known name internationally is probably Jurgen Prochnow, who did a number of TV movies previously, but . . .?! This was only his 2nd theatrical film.

« Reply #9318 on: November 23, 2015, 06:02:52 PM »

"Neon Maniacs" (1986)
Small | Large

Strangely-garbed creatures come out of a secret hidey-hole in the Golden Gate Bridge at night to slaughter random San Francisco residents. Eventually a couple of high school kids figure out that the only way to beat the murderous mutants is to spray'em with water, which disintegrates them.

...wait, what?

That's about all the info you'll get from this totally random late '80s video store favorite. There's no reason given for the creatures' existence, or why they want to kill everybody... hell, they don't even explain why they're called "Neon Maniacs." It doesn't make a damn bit of sense but at least it's not boring.

Check out my CD and Movie Reviews on HubPages:

« Reply #9319 on: Today at 01:07:49 AM »

Copycat (1995) - This won't make anyone forget about Silence of the Lambs as far as serial killer movies. It's somewhere between an above average Lifetime movie and a cop show. Sigorney Weaver is decent as the serial killer expert person and Holly Hunter is okay as the cop. Harry Connick Jr of all people is the first serial killer guy there's another one though. It's just not all that different, colorful and/ or exciting. We don't really learn anything about Weavers character or why the serial killer is doing all this serial killing. It could have used any number of things to add some razzle dazzle to it not just nudity or action though those wouldn't have hurt.

3.75 /5

another one of those movies that was probably a popular rental in the video store when it was a new release but was then forgotten.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:13:38 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.