Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:07:15 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
Author Topic: October Horror Movie Massacre!!!  (Read 125149 times)
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2013, 07:32:55 PM »

Nice to see some love for The Bay which I thought was absolutely great. Leave it to an old pro like Levinson to bring some new ideas to what can sometimes be a stale subgenre.

Movie #4
Rats: The Nights of Terror
After a high point with Curse of Chucky I'm right back in the crap zone with this mess from Bruno Mattei and the writer of Troll 2. In what has to be one of the worst Italian Mad Max knock offs we follow a gang of scavengers in a post apocalyptic wasteland. They stumble upon an old abandoned building and are delighted to find food, clean water and vegetation. There's only one problem, hundreds upon hundreds of stinky rats. From then on they mostly bicker with each other and occasionally get a bucket of rats thrown at them by offscreen stagehands. Obviously this doesn't work as a horror movie but unfortunately it also doesn't have that much to offer as a so bad its good movie either. There are two major exceptions one is the following scene which displays such exuberance and joy that it belongs in another better movie and a truly stupendous ending.
Small | Large
claws
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 01:31:46 AM »

10.03.13 (5)

The Apparition (2012) (Blu-ray)

Young couple must face paranormal inactivity from a once captured and now unleashed angry spirit. This film sort of dips into haunted house territory but its really not. This film also wants to be scary but its really not. This film has a mind-blowing hilariously bad ending, but there are a few decent parts as well, kind of, which makes it hard to label it as a full fledged bad movie. On the other hand this film is not very original. It's like we've been there and done that a million times before. I can see why Warner shelved it for two years and gave it a limited release only. Rating:  BounceGiggle

Grabbers (2012) (Blu-ray)

Irish people must face terror in form of tentacles - these mutant creatures fear alcohol so the people get drunk to stay alive. Entertaining Horror-Comedy without being silly or goofy. That's how I like my Horror-Comedies. 4/5

Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010) (Blu-ray)

Smart Backwoods-Horror spoof about two sympathetic Hillbillies on vacation mistaken for bloodthirsty maniacs by a group of young students also on vacation. So funny its impossible NOT to laugh! I've actually wouldn't mind a sequel. 5/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 06:41:27 AM »

The Fog (1980) - Carpenter classic about the residents of a small coastal community who find out that the town's founders committed a heinous crime in order to get the money to build a church - and now the victims of that crime are back in ghoul form to take their revenge.  What can you say, you've got Adrienne Barbeau as a DJ working out of a lighthouse, Hal Holbrook as a crazy old priest, and Jamie Lee Curtis and Tom Atkins sort of investigating the strange goings on concerning the fog.  We even get John Houseman setting the whole thing up as a scary campfire tale.  Excellent atmosphere and a good sense of suspense throughout.  I give it a 4/5 only because I've seen it quite a few times now and nothing can be terribly suspenseful on the 5th viewing.

Also finished up Dracula 2000.  It's really got a cool plot and some historical tie-ins concerning the origins of Dracula.  Pretty cheesy but in a very fun way.  4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 07:23:54 AM »

Grabbers (2012) (Blu-ray)

Irish people must face terror in form of tentacles - these mutant creatures fear alcohol so the people get drunk to stay alive. Entertaining Horror-Comedy without being silly or goofy. That's how I like my Horror-Comedies. 4/5

I remember seeing the trailer for this and really looking forward to seeing it, only it faded from my mind. Thanks a ton, claws!

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
SynapticBoomstick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 02:03:24 PM »

5. The Galaxy Invader

Every character in this film has a name. About halfway through I stopped caring a bit.

An extraterrestrial being crashes to Earth over the southern United States, attracting the attention of a young man and his professor friend as well as the greedy eyes of some local... well, one's a drunk, several are hired, and I don't know what Cigar Guy is around town, really. Safe to say that he's shady. Both the alien's technology and the alien itself keep switching hands between the greedy humans who want to cash in on it and the caring humans who want to see it make good on its escape.

Small | Large

Rating: Giant Lollipop - It starts out looking good but after a while you wonder why you're still eating it.
Out of 5: 2 (+1 80's synth track, +1 green rubber alien)

I really wanted to like this movie with its effects and outstanding acting but after the first half things just drag along and aren't nearly as fun. It does pay out at the end with one of the most side-splitting effects shots I've seen in a long time, though.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »

^ I loved that scene where the "rich" guy takes a big swig of beer and then starts talking, letting the whole mouthful of beer just run down his chin.   TeddyR

- Paulo Coelho
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »

Movies #5 and #6

Countess Dracula and The Vampire Lovers.
(Actually Countess Dracula and the Vampire Lovers would make for a pretty cool movie title by itself.)

It's a double feature of busty Hammer vampire babes. 

Vampire Lovers is by far the better of thew two movies.  Not that Countess Dracula is bad, it just seems a bit slower.  It also doesn't really have anything to do with Dracula. 
claws
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 01:34:43 AM »

I remember seeing the trailer for this and really looking forward to seeing it, only it faded from my mind. Thanks a ton, claws!

No problem. It is really worth checking out  Smile
claws
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 01:36:01 AM »

10.03.13 (6)

Making Contact (Director's Cut / German Theatrical Version) (1985) (Blu-ray)

The same day after his father's burial, telepathic little Joey makes contact with his dead dad through his toy telephone. When he finds a ventriloquist's dummy named Fletcher in an abandoned house next door, the evil doll unleashes deadly supernatural forces on Joey...
Director Roland Emmerich's first feature film was shot entirely in Germany, using military brats and soldiers/staff from a back then nearby located U.S. Military Installation for cast. Making Contact is one hell of a weird fantasy horror flick for kids - Emmerich basically dissected Steven Spielberg's E.T. and Close Encounters of the Third Kind and added Poltergeist for good measure. The outcome is a desperate attempt at recreating Spielberg's movie magic. Emmerich also shamelessly copies scenes from the three movies mentioned above. I'm surprised he was never sued for copyright infringement.
I watched the new released German Blu-ray of this which sadly is not English friendly. The Director's Cut / German Theatrical Version comes with German audio only, and the included U.S. Theatrical cut is letterboxed (!) with hard coded German subtitles. 3.5/5
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2013, 03:13:22 AM »

Movie # 5
The Strangers (2008)
Plots don't get much simpler than this one. After a friends wedding reception a couple go back to their summer home for the night. At four in the morning a very creepy looking girl knocks on the door asking "if tamara is home", they tell her no and send her on her way. From here on in its pure horror as masked intruders terrorize the couple.
I thought this was pretty damn effective. There's almost no dialogue, brief back story and a complete lack of motivation for the "strangers". Instead of being a hindrance I found this minimalism to really increase the scares to a surreal nightmarish level. Really great direction here surprised to see it is the filmmakers only film.
Small | Large
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2013, 06:46:21 AM »

The Prowler (1981) - back in WWII, a girl sends her soldier boyfriend a Dear John letter.  He comes home later that year, just in time for the school dance, and meets up with his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend.  A pitchfork is involved.  So flash forward 35 years and the school dance is being held for the first time since WWII.  Hmmm...wonder if that pesky ol' killer will show up again?  

This was an okay slasher I guess.  There was no character development - I felt like the two main charters were just shapes on the screen.   Half the time somebody would get killed and I didn't even know who it was;  probably somebody who had two lines of dialogue a half hour ago.  I guess it had decent atmosphere - our two main people (one of whom was a cop) wanted to talk to some guy and for some reason they broke into his house.  Instead of just turning on the lights and yelling "Anybody home!?!?" they decide to spend half the movie lurking about in there, with dim lighting and scary theme music playing.  The kills were definitely good.  Fairly brutal and maybe a little bit creative.  The ending...well it started being ridiculous and within a couple of minutes I was saying "Okay guys just roll the credits now" and happily they did.  2.5/5.

Managed to make it 24 minutes into Argento's Deep Red.  I've had toothaches that were more enjoyable.   Lookingup
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 06:49:05 AM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2013, 01:09:22 PM »

I can definitely vouch for Tucker and Dale versus Evil. It is one of the best horror comedies out there. As for The Children that is a great little film that is also available for free on youtube.
Small | Large

I remember the TV spots for The Children back in the early 80's. That was a very disturbing movie, and while the original (sorry, that's newer movie) had it's share of moments, the original film was very dark. Tame by today's standards? yes, but back then, as horror was emerging in stronger and stronger doses, there were some truly disturbing films that came to the surface and this was one of them.
SynapticBoomstick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2013, 04:00:31 PM »

After five movies in a row from the realm of 50-Packs I find myself in need of a recovery period. The cinematography of The Cold, a film apparently so bad that IMDB doesn't have it listed, and the horrid transfer quality of both Wild Women of Wongo and Prehistoric Women left my eyes and ears straining. Therefore, I'm briefly cruising the Netfilx Nexus. I need to get the next movie packed away! :o

claws
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2013, 04:57:01 AM »

10.05.13 (8)

Dead Silence (Unrated) (2007) (Blu-ray)

Young man must return to his creepy home town in order to solve the murder of his wife, though he already has an idea of who might be the killer: Mary Shaw - an evil ventriloquist / local urban legend.
James Wan amps up the supernatural scares and boosts atmospheric settings with stylish directing. Sadly Dead Silence pretty much bombed at the box office and critics didn't like the movie very much. Technically there's nothing wrong with the film, solid genre effort in my opinion though the revealing twist montage at the end already got old in 2007. 4/5

Dracula (1979) (DVD)

Underrated, abundant, sexy, stylish, atmospheric and creepy. John Badham's Dracula never seems to get praised much, and I wonder why. A Blu-ray release would be nice, including "both" versions of the film. Apparently Badham prefers the muted colors version (included on the DVD) but it would also be nice to see the full colored version in HD. 4.5/5
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2013, 06:25:55 AM »

Managed to make it 24 minutes into Argento's Deep Red.  I've had toothaches that were more enjoyable.   Lookingup
What didn't you like about Deep Red Jack?

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.