Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:31:51 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19
Author Topic: October Horror Movie Massacre!!!  (Read 125542 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2013, 06:40:05 AM »

Séance (2006) - it's Thanksgiving break and only 5 students remain at the dorm.  But there's a sixth person present - the ghost of a young girl is making the occasional appearance as well.  So our kids have a séance to contact her, but end up summoning the ghost of the sleazeball who killed her instead. Oh-oh!  Buggedout  This is a favorite of mine, the characters are really fun and likable.  It's cheesy to be sure, and more entertaining than scary, but I always enjoy it.  4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2013, 07:32:40 AM »

Managed to make it 24 minutes into Argento's Deep Red.  I've had toothaches that were more enjoyable.   Lookingup
What didn't you like about Deep Red Jack?

What's always prevented me from enjoying giallos are the reviewers who write thousand word love letters to these directors declaring them to be the filmmaking reincarnation of Van Gough and da Vinci, and then seeing these movies expecting a truly extraordinary experience, but instead getting something that's pretty similar to the run-of-the-mill '70s Italian schlock you'd typically find on disk 9 of a Mill Creek 50 pack. 

With Deep Red you've got a male lead who's a block of wood, a female lead who's so awful she turns all her scenes into an unintentional comedy, annoying secondary characters who serve no purpose but to pad out the run time, no atmosphere whatsoever, and seven different camera shots of a leaky faucet.  When watching these things I'm always struck with the feeling that if I was three sheets to the wind and couldn't maintain a train of thought from one moment to the next, and fancied myself an artiste - these are precisely the sort of movies I'd make.

- Paulo Coelho
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2013, 07:51:25 AM »

Managed to make it 24 minutes into Argento's Deep Red.  I've had toothaches that were more enjoyable.   Lookingup
What didn't you like about Deep Red Jack?

What's always prevented me from enjoying giallos are the reviewers who write thousand word love letters to these directors declaring them to be the filmmaking reincarnation of Van Gough and da Vinci, and then seeing these movies expecting a truly extraordinary experience, but instead getting something that's pretty similar to the run-of-the-mill '70s Italian schlock you'd typically find on disk 9 of a Mill Creek 50 pack. 

With Deep Red you've got a male lead who's a block of wood, a female lead who's so awful she turns all her scenes into an unintentional comedy, annoying secondary characters who serve no purpose but to pad out the run time, no atmosphere whatsoever, and seven different camera shots of a leaky faucet.  When watching these things I'm always struck with the feeling that if I was three sheets to the wind and couldn't maintain a train of thought from one moment to the next, and fancied myself an artiste - these are precisely the sort of movies I'd make.
I thought David Hemmings was a likeable lead. I can see what you mean about Daria Nicolodi's character, but I think that just comes down to a bad voiceover more than anything. Giallos in general can be hit or miss. They can be extremely formulaic, but I find them much more interesting than the majority of crap that passes for horror these days.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2013, 09:45:09 AM »

Movie # 6
Mother's Day (2010)
Rebbeca De Mornay is the titular mother who leads a pack of twisted outlaw children. They all meet in their former home terrorizing the new owners and their friends. So after The Strangers this is yet another home invasion film but it definitely takes a far different approach. This one is a remake of an old Troma movie and carries some of that dark humor while never being as goofy or cheap as a typical Troma Production. I thought this really worked well with some great gore and more than adequate performances. Considering the title this all really falls on De Mornay and she more than delivered with this performance. Going between motherly tenderness to savage violence in an instant she is a clear highlight. Between this Curse of Chucky and The Strangers I've been having good luck with these more recent horror movies so I might stick to 00's horror for the majority of the month and catch up on some more missed titles.
Small | Large
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2013, 12:32:10 PM »

6. Crowsnest

A "found-footage" film about five friends going into the mountains to spend time at a cabin who get chased by an Evil Camping Trailer. More specifically, it's Birthday Guy with his Girlfriend and Friend with his Girlfriend and Girlfriend's Sister. Groups of friends really have to stop going places in these movies. Birthday Guy got a camera for his birthday and decided to document the trip i.e. not a good reason for filming everything. On the way up they see some weird dead thing on the side of the road, hear crazy damnation talk on the radio, and stop in some abandoned town called Crowsnest to pick up beer. "You are all going to die." At one point they're even running through the woods screaming somebody's name. Really, we're in Burkittsville now, too? The film even uses one of my least favorite Surprise Plot Twists that would be completely useless if it hadn't served its one debatable purpose.

For its flaws, there's a lot to credit Crowsnest for as well. The second act of the movie puts on the suspense and dread and does a fair job of keeping it there.The actors, in my opinion, also do a great job at conveying how one would feel if actually in this situation, the one exception being the "Oh it hurts, it hurts!" line. For the scene it's in, it comes off more delerious than OH GOD NO NO PLEASE WHY ARE YOU-. Gore is used sparingly but is very effective at making you react or feel a certain way when the movie wants you to. There are also none of those annoying jump scares that so many of these films rely on for their fear factor. There's plenty of scary stuff but you as the viewer are given a head's-up to it; it's the characters that must suffer the "BOO".

"YEW AWLL GONNA DIE!"
Small | Large

Rating: Bubble Gum, it's good but you're already familiar with it.
Out of 5: 3 (+2 Jump Scare Evasion, +1 Identify Bonus)

There's a right way and a wrong way to do "found footage" movies and this one manages to fall in some odd no-man's land between those poles. It has good effects and good acting born from some pretty lazy writing and plot hooks. That being said, the sub-genre is still a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:35:24 PM by SynapticBoomstick » Logged

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
claws
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2013, 12:47:51 PM »

I'm only curious, since I'm located in Europe I was wondering if "Crowsnest" has been available on Netflix or something for the first time in the last few days? I've been posting in several October/Halloween threads at other message boards, and everybody seems to list "Crowsnest" the last two days or so.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »

Crowsnest is available on Netflix, but I seem to remember noticing it at least a week or probably two ago.  And I don't know how long it was there before I noticed it.

- Paulo Coelho
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2013, 03:01:15 PM »

I only noticed Crowsnest yesterday. With my previous films drawn from 50 Packs I wasn't checking Netflix so I don't know how long it's been up there.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2013, 04:19:53 PM »

Suspiria (1977) - an American girl goes to a dance studio in Europe and discovers strange things are afoot;  could it be witchcraft?  I watched this a few years ago and didn't like it.  This time I knew to expect a quaint and quirky kaleidoscope of candy colors and not much more, and enjoyed it quite a bit.  It's definitely got some atmosphere to it, like a fairytale world.  The acting wasn't bad.  Well Jessica Harper's acting wasn't bad as she's really the only one doing any.  I enjoyed seeing Joan Bennett as the head of the dance academy as I'm used to her as Elizabeth Collins on Dark Shadows.  The theme music was interesting.  There's a music box theme that adds a nice weird mood.  The other half of the theme music sounds like what I'd expect at a fire eating show at Disneyland.  I just found that distracting.  The story was decent enough though the ending kind of didn't fit the mood of the rest of the movie.  Overall though I liked it.  4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2013, 04:33:44 PM »

Movie # 7
Frozen 2010 (Rewatch)
When I first saw this a year or two I was greatly impressed. The premise is a simple but a great one. Two lifetime friends and one of their girlfriends are trying to enjoy a weekend of on the ski slopes. Trying to get one last run in they end up stranded on a ski lift that is stopped for the week. Facing broken legs if they jump and freezing to death if they don't they have to find a way out. So great premise and it sure worked as a tense horror thriller last time I saw it so what changed on this watch? Well the dialogue was much weaker than I remembered it being. Basically it never really elevates itself above cliches and sometimes just plain bad. Also after knowing what happens the tension is pretty much gone completely so this watch was pretty much a complete loss. Still the premise is still awesome and I did enjoy this quite a bit on first viewing so if you haven't seen it may still be worth a watch.
Small | Large

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2013, 05:42:09 PM »

Eight days into a new month and I've only watched one horror movie ("Demons")... I suck. Haha.

Gonna try and get back on the track tonight with "Tucker & Dale vs. Evil."

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
voltron

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »

Suspiria (1977)
Jack, you didn't like Deep Red, but you liked Suspiria? I'm a bit confused.  Question While I really like Suspiria, I found Deep Red to be a more immediate and satisfying movie. But that's just me, I guess.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
claws
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2013, 02:43:04 AM »

10.06.13 (9)

Evil Dead (2013) (Blu-ray)

Well, what can I say? I really enjoyed the remake. There are a few alterations to the story I thought worked perfectly, but I also missed a few beloved things from the original that didn't make it into the remake. I guess one can't have it all but hey, did I already mention that I enjoyed this? I really did. 4.5/5
claws
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2013, 02:45:31 AM »

Crowsnest is available on Netflix, but I seem to remember noticing it at least a week or probably two ago.  And I don't know how long it was there before I noticed it.

Ahh, ok. I was only wondering why this title was suddenly showing up on pretty much everyone's watch list. Had it been on two or three, I wouldn't have noticed. But over the weekend I counted ten or more "Crowsnest" listings.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2013, 07:07:59 AM »

Suspiria (1977)
Jack, you didn't like Deep Red, but you liked Suspiria? I'm a bit confused.  Question While I really like Suspiria, I found Deep Red to be a more immediate and satisfying movie. But that's just me, I guess.

Deep Red just got on my nerves.  From the annoying drunk making exactly the kind of "deep" observations you expect from someone who's about to tip over, to the  cop investigation scene which was Z grade schlock, to our leads having some battle of the sexes type conversation which comes off as painfully dated today.  And then the camera panning over miscellaneous objects to remind me I'm watching "art".  Just not my thing at all.   Smile

The Haunted Palace (1963) - 100 years ago a warlock (Vincent Price) lived in a mansion and was abducting the town's women for his experiments.  The villagers responded with torches and pitchforks.  Of course Price put a curse on them and ever since then their kids have been born deformed.  Now in the present, the great-great-grandson of the warlock (also played by Price) shows up as he's only recently discovered he's inherited the mansion.  The villagers aren't terribly pleased and it's not long before the spirit of our long-departed warlock takes over Price's mind.  This is a real favorite of mine, with oodles of Gothic atmosphere and Price at his evil best.  The story is based on an H. P. Lovecraft novel so it's a little different than most of the horror movies of the time.  4.5/5

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.