Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:08:07 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
Author Topic: October Horror Movie Massacre!!!  (Read 125138 times)
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 30, 2013, 02:12:23 PM »

Ok October's just a day away whose down for watching some horror movies. You know the drill the goal is to hit a horror movie a day for each day but more or less is fine too. I have quite a few unseen titles I want to knock through and will post reviews as I do. Some of the likely picks.
Let The Right One In, P2, Death Valley, Curse of Chucky, The Ruins, Pathology, Maniac (2012), Silver Bullet, Evilspeak.

So who else is contributing this year and are there any titles you look forward to checking out in the coming month? 
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »

I just bought a cheap 12-movie pack of Horror craptaculars called "Fright Fest" so I'm sure I'll be working my way thru that set for most of the month.

I also bought a used copy of "Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil" that I've been dyin' to take for a spin.

...and of course, I gotta see at least ONE of the "Halloween" series.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
voltron

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 05:54:47 PM »

There's a few titles I've been meaning to pick up (Axe, House On Straw Hill, The Children and others), but I've experienced a little financial snag so I'll have to wait a bit.  Bluesad However, 90% of my collection is horror so I'll definitely revisit some of my faves this upcoming month.  Smile

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »

I can definitely vouch for Tucker and Dale versus Evil. It is one of the best horror comedies out there. As for The Children that is a great little film that is also available for free on youtube.
Small | Large

As is Axe
Small | Large

Also here's House on Straw Hill!
Small | Large
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:01:20 PM »

I can definitely vouch for Tucker and Dale versus Evil. It is one of the best horror comedies out there.

Oh, yes indeed. I have seen it once already when it first came out on video but I'm dyin' for another go-round with it.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 10:32:26 PM »

One movie a day for October? 

I'll give it a shot.  Actually, I'm going to try for two. 
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 09:31:59 AM »

Last year I had a pathetic run, only six movies. On top of that, I enjoyed most of them. I need some brain poison. So this year I'm including a lot of films from the realm of 50-Movie Packs, three collections that I bought because it seemed like a good idea at the time. It was a bargain, sure, but then so's the place down the highway from me that offers $1 sushi and a good deal doesn't make for a good decision.

Last year I did candy-ratings. I enjoyed thinking up items to match numbers so I'll give that a spin again this year. If I do more than one movie at a time the entry won't be a big one so as to save on reading space.

1. She-Gods of Shark Reef

This is possibly the most boring movie I've ever sat through. There's a story so threadbare as to make spoilers pointless. It was shot in Hawaii, meant to take place in the Phillipines, and the focal natives are whiter than alabaster with a matriarch who may or may not have taken my order at the local diner before. Also, they all talk like this: "You no stay, is bad luck, make the spirits angry." Good Brother is goody-good and Bad Brother is baddy-bad. Also, the island is home to a pearl operation. Hmm.

It's filled with stock footage of tiger sharks that turn into on-camera  blue sharks whenever an actor is present which then become white-tips and, at least once, a stock nurse shark and a stock greak white. I'd also like to point out that all of that swapping can and does occur all within the same minute.

This is an Evil God Movie as written by an atheist. There's no evil god, ancient demon, or rubber deity anywhere to be had. There is, however, a happy tiki statue in the lagoon.

Would somebody please tell me what this movie has to do with science fiction?
Small | Large

Rating: Pennies
Out of 5: -
I can't even... how do I start the day, no, the month with the worst possible rating. Look up there for a second. I didn't even have anything to say about the movie. There's nothing to say. On most any other Corman movie there's at least something to see but here I couldn't even figure out what the budget was spent on unless it cost the whole $50k for a stone head.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »

I'm in.  Last year I started October by watching all the Friday the 13th movies, but this year I think I'll just check out whatever I'm in the mood for.  Some old B&W classics, some Hammer Horror, some cheesy '80s slashers, and whatever else appeals to me.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ChaosTheory

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »

I'm in. 

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 01:04:09 PM »

1st movie of the season...

Cemetery Gates
A low budget movie about a genetically modified Tasmanian devil that is released into the wild (and goes almost immediately to a cemetery).  Most of the characters are some of the dumbest people you'll have ever seen on film and the monster looks like one of those expensive Halloween props.  You know, the ones they sell in Halloween specialty stores that cost several hundred dollars and you wonder who exactly buys this stuff?  

The movie also stars Reggie Bannister.  

This is not a picture of Reggie Banister.  This is a picture of the monster.  He's named Precious.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 07:08:39 AM »

Blood Lake (1987) - a Z-grade version of Friday the 13th. Some kids go to a cabin by a lake for a weekend of partying as a killer lurks about. This one is infamous for the water skiing scene - infamous not because it's scary, but because it drags on for a full 15 minutes. Two of the characters in the movie get bored and go do something else; us poor viewers get to see the whole thing though. Later on our kids play quarters for a full 5 minutes. Oh yeah, somebody was desperate to stretch the run time out to feature length. Our kids aren't a bad bunch, they're likable or at least entertainingly stupid. The writing and acting is so bad it actually creates a surreal sense of reality as this stuff is almost as lame as what people say in real life. Not surprisingly this is the only thing that most of these folks ever appeared in. Favorite scene was on the second night when two of the kids go to make out, on the same dock where a dead body was found the night before. Real Darwin award winners there. For some reason I get a kick out of stuff like this - probably due to my absolutely terrible taste in movies. Smile 3/5.

Black Sunday (1960) - Mario Bava film about a couple of doctors who are traveling through, I dunno...Russia or someplace. They come across an old crypt and being the scientific types, don't believe in any of that supernatural stuff. So they mess about until they've managed to free the evil witch who's been imprisoned there for 200 years. There's a big curse involving her and the family that lives in the castle in the area, and before long she's possessing people and causing all sorts of problems. Great old B&W horror movie, pretty much everything you look for in an old classic. Barbara Steele plays a dual role as the witch and the woman she seeks to consume. Plenty of lurking about in secret passages and yes, the villagers show up with torches and pitchforks at the end  Thumbup 4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
SynapticBoomstick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 09:14:48 AM »

2. Kong Island

A mad scientist wants to use an army of four mind-zapped guys in cheap costumes gorillas to take over the world. Reading the disc jacket, the film promised a "descendant of King Kong" would show up at the end and destroy the whole operation. A brief scene involving implanting a gorilla with a mind controlling device set me up for the gorillas being at least passable and then I see the full creature walking around. Arm the bottle opener.

And that descendant of Kong? There isn't one. There's also no island. There are tons of misidentified wildlife, which the care-free white folk shoot at at all times (could you even haul a hippo onto a boat?), a jungle ditz and her magical chimpanzee friend, and a pointless subplot that the writers must have just given up on because it all unravels at the end.

This movie, while bad, was a lot of fun to riff. Look here:
Small | Large

Great soundtrack, huh? And that dance club, whee!  Lookingup

Rating: Peppermint Sucker, I only like them if I'm eating one.
Out of 5: 2 (+1 riffing damage, +1 company bonus)
There's plenty to make fun of here and if you're watching the movie with others like I did then you could probably get some enjoyment out of it, otherwise you wasted an hour or so. This one hopes to lure you in with "Kong" and if I've warned even one person otherwise, my time here was justified.

SynapticBoomstick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 09:24:49 AM »

Black Sunday (1960) - Mario Bava film about a couple of doctors who are traveling through, I dunno...Russia or someplace. They come across an old crypt and being the scientific types, don't believe in any of that supernatural stuff. So they mess about until they've managed to free the evil witch who's been imprisoned there for 200 years. There's a big curse involving her and the family that lives in the castle in the area, and before long she's possessing people and causing all sorts of problems. Great old B&W horror movie, pretty much everything you look for in an old classic. Barbara Steele plays a dual role as the witch and the woman she seeks to consume. Plenty of lurking about in secret passages and yes, the villagers show up with torches and pitchforks at the end  Thumbup 4/5.

This sounds right up my alley right now, I'm on a scary castle bender Drink, mostly from (trying) to play Amnesia: Dark Descent. That game terrifies me.

fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 10:59:09 AM »

1) The New York Ripper 1982-Started the month off with some real sleaze! This Fulci film is notorious for its level of violence and claims of misogyny. Now much of italian genre cinema is misogynist but Fulci takes this to a whole other level here with violence largely focused on females crotches. Unfortunately you put aside the controversy and you're left with a pretty lame giallo with a quacking killer and boring investigation. Will probably stay away from this kind of exploitation fare this month and check out some more "classy" horeror movies.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »

Day One:

THE ABC'S OF DEATH
Small | Large

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs,
B is for Boris assaulted by bears,
C is for ChaosTheory who went into a catatonic stupor watching this ill-advised and mostly crap anthology.  1/10

THE BAT
Small | Large

Embezzlement, murder, a spooky old mansion and a parade of red herrings fill out this thriller.  Not bad if you're a fan of Agnes Moorehead or Vincent Price.  6/10

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.