Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:52:36 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19
Author Topic: October Horror Movie Massacre!!!  (Read 125562 times)
claws
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2013, 04:24:11 AM »

10.12.13 (15)

The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia (2013) (Blu-ray)

I still think the title is stupid. Anyway, part 2 has nothing to do with the first one. Ghosts of Georgia tells the story of a young family moving into a new rural house but the property is haunted by the spirits of the undead. The mother is gifted with second sight but tries to numb her visions with medication. The daughter has visions, too, and so does her aunt who moves into a trailer in the garden.
This was actually solid and beautifully shot. Acting was decent, and the f/x, while annoying at times (appearing/disappearing jittery ghosts) were above average.
The movie goes straight to the jugular, so to speak, because something supernatural happens about every 3 minutes or so, which is kinda tiresome in my opinion. The director must've been hyperactive or something. I prefer a set up and introduction instead of overkill from the first minute to the last. 3.5/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2013, 06:56:46 AM »

Ringu (1998) - Japanese movie about a killer video tape - watch it and a week later you'll die.  A reporter teams up with her ex-husband to investigate it.  They've both watched the video so they're highly motivated.  I really liked this.  Though it certainly gets off to a slow start, the story behind the tape is very intriguing and the last half of the movie has some really good scary atmosphere.  It had a more raw feel to it which made it seem more real than its high-gloss Hollywood remake.  When the spooky girl came climbing out of the TV I really had to sit up and say "Whoa!", unlike the Hollywood version where she's CGI and it had no impact on me whatsoever.  4/5.

Apollo 18 (2011) - astronauts go to the moon to put some military thingie up there, but find something unexpected.  I didn't care for this at all.  Most of the movie is these two guys sitting in their space capsule, but instead of thinking they're Apollo astronauts I couldn't get past the fact that they were actors trying to portray Apollo astronauts.  It gets to be a real snoozefest after an hour.  When they find something on the Moon, it's not explained at all - there's no story behind it, it's just "We went to the moon and found CGI."  Extremely underwhelming.  It's one of those found footage things so everything's photographed from some crummy angle of a handheld camera stuck in the corner of the ship, and the editing gets really annoying after a while.  The only thing I liked was that the sets and costumes looked pretty period-authentic.  2/5.

Diary of a Madman (1963) - Vincent Price plays a judge who has a conversation with a murdered he's convicted.  The man tells him he was possessed by some evil spirit called a Horla, and sure enough the spirit enters Price and starts forcing him to do evil things.  He meets a woman and falls in love with her, but she turns out to be a gold-digger and that nasty ol' Horla forces Price to put a rather permanent end to the relationship.  My main problem with this was that the story was completely predictable, and the Horla speaking to him in the voice of some ordinary guy trying to convince him to do evil wasn't scary at all.  Still Price is always a joy to watch in these sorts of things.  3/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2013, 10:28:24 AM »

Movie # 14
Let The Right One In (2008)

As a horror fan I've heard nothing but praise for this Swedish film but for some reason it's taken me up to now to watch it. The plot is simple enough our main character Oskar is a lonely 12 year old who faces bullying at school. His only respite is fantasies of revenge until he meets a peculiar girl of his same age. At first she says they can never be friends but despite her best efforts she is drawn to the boy. It's revealed early on that she is a vampire and relies on her caregiver Hakan to seek blood for her.

Ok this one deserved all the hype it recieved. The first thing that stood out to me is the absolutely gorgeous cinematography. Nearly every scene has gorgeously framed still shots and elegant smooth camera movements. Apparently I am not the only one that noticed this as the cinematographer has gone on to helm such films as David O Russel's "The Fighter" and Christopher Nolan's upcoming "Interstellar". The acting is also fantastic especially from the two young leads. The boy who plays Oskar tells the story with his face from the glee he shows sledding with his father to the fear he shows in his encounters with the bullies. As for Eli the vampires performance it's tragic at parts terrifying at others a truly unique take on the vampire mythos. This is absolutely the best film I have seen in this horror marathon and one of the best movies of the past 10 years period.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 02:08:58 PM by fulci420 » Logged
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2013, 11:34:28 PM »

Fun-size catch up:

7. Ghost Shark

In horror movies, Great White sharks are the most numerous fish in the ocean and live off every coast and in every sea. Now you'll even find them at bikini washes and inside water coolers. Fishermen mortally wound a shark which limps off to die in a cave only to discover the secret of Jaws 4 and rises as a vengeful ghost that can manifest itself in any source of water, no matter how small. Swimming pools, Slip 'n' Slides, puddles, bathtubs, it's all fair game. The body count is high and the cheese is sharp.

Rating: Candy Corn - why can't I stop eating this, I don't like it?!
Out of 5: 5 (+1 fresh concept, +1 attractive lead bonus, +3 Ghost Shark Rage Rounds)

Shark movies are a dime a dozen so the only thing you can really have going for you is a good hook, which is an ironically fitting term. Ghost Shark manages to be outrageous and still keep a grasp on your suspension of disbelief that's just firm enough to let you enjoy the story.

More to come, there's a big catch-up period ahead, this was what I managed to catch on TV during the brief hospital stay. I'm fine, just had a long series of obnoxious tests. Thumbdown

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2013, 06:55:18 AM »

The Mummy (1932) - archeologists dig up a mummy and sure enough, back to life it comes.  Unlike other movies this mummy doesn't shuffle around all wrapped in bandages - we get Boris Karloff in some pretty cool looking old age makeup.  He meets a girl who's the spitting image of the princess he was in love with 3,700 years ago and so he wants to transfer the princess' soul into this girl, kill her and then bring her back to life as an immortal mummy like himself.  Unfortunately this part gets really slow.  The girl is under Karloff's power or something so she spends the whole movie acting like she's in a daze.  Not really the movie's fault but I was feeling a bit chilly last night and pulled the blanket over myself and next thing you know I was waking up for the sixth time.  Smile  Ah well, the first ten minutes was classic stuff and the ending brought a little bit of excitement back to it.  4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2013, 12:04:15 PM »

Movie # 15
Seed of Chucky (2004)
After being impressed by Curse of Chucky I decided to move backward and check out the previous entry. This movie surely must rank among the most preposterous entry in any horror franchise. It has:
Chucky masturbating to fangoria !!!
A cross dressing british doll named s**thead and later glen/glenda!
Redman and John Waters in prominent roles !

Yeah so this is a total mess no longer attempting to be a horror movie at all. Instead we get a bizarre meta comedy with Jennifer Tilly playing an exaggerated version of herself as well as voicing the bride of Chucky. Tilly is definitely the best part of the movie with her charming and sexy performance. I'll give this movie credit for its sheer insanity but it's definetly a mess. I'm cool with the series going for pure comedy but aside from a couple lines its never as funny as it thinks it is. Also the "seed of chucky" is just a terrible puppet and character so that's a big problem. The dvd is pretty good with great picture quality and plenty of special features.
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2013, 01:56:11 PM »

Next up was The Funhouse. I had never seen it before and I loved it.

SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2013, 09:02:25 PM »

8. The Terror From The Year 5000
Thank God for Ipods and Wireless internet or the hospital would have been pure madness.

The movie opens, as nearly all Atomic Age scifi-horror movies do, with a narrator who promises some cosmic terror from the future. This movie might as well have been called The Museum Curator From The City and The Fiance' Who Hates Him because, even though the plot features dangerous experiments and skulking about, the War For The Woman aspect seems to be constantly in the foreground. It's dull, filled with pointless plot directions, and delivers no terror at all. So how could I have possibly made it through the whole thing? This might be why.

There's really not a lot that I can tell you without ruining some part of the plot if you've never seen the film before. There are radiation problems on the island where the scientists work and strange things begin happening once they get a call for help from the future. I'm no expert, but killing everybody that you encounter doesn't seem like a very good way of getting them to help you. Also, the monster sparkles. Not sure how I feel about that.

In an effort to give you something to take from this, I present the following:
Small | Large

Rating: Mystery Bag - that black-and-orange paper package covered in ghosts or bats.
Out of 5: 1 (+1 temporal tranfer machine)

Being that this was a MST3K viewing, I could think of no better treat to compare it to than the "mystery bag". What was actually in those, anyway? I can never remember if it was black and orange taffies, sugar candies shaped like monsters, or a myriad of who-knows-what because I rarely ever got them and the contents never consistent. With Mike, Servo, and Crow acting as a comedy buffer and the skits providing breaks in between, the experience was far more of a novelty than it had any right being.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
claws
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2013, 10:54:59 PM »

10.13.13 (18)

Rare Exports (2010) (Blu-ray)

The real Santa Claus is found in the mountains of Finland, frozen inside a block of ice. When evil elves (naked old men) snatch children from a nearby village, one little boy finds out the harrowing truth about Santa: he actually tortures and kills children. Little time is left to come up with a masterplan to stop Santa, because the ice is melting quickly ...

Dark-ish but amusing Fantasy/Adventure teasing the audience with the promise of gruesome Horror. This was alright but I thought the similar Saint Nick (2010) was much better. 4/5

Stoker (2013) (Blu-ray)

Troubled girl "India" just lost her beloved father who died in an car accident. The same day her mysterious uncle appears, who she never met. Mom (Nicole Kidman) is quite fond of the charming brother-in-law, but the uncle seems to be drawn to his niece...

Coming-of-age Arthouse Drama/Thriller that doesn't shy with nasty violence and disturbing surprises. Reminded me of The Reflecting Skin (1990). 4.5/5

Frankenweenie (2012) (Blu-ray)

Young Victor Frankenstein resurrects his dead dog Sparky and all sorts of madness ensures. Tim Burton is up to his old tricks, literally, and didn't exactly wow me with his stop motion remake. I mean, it was decent enough, but it kinda felt lazy and way too familiar (not referring to the short film). Burton definitely needs new ideas. 3.75/5
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2013, 11:15:58 PM »

Tonight I watched "The Fear: Halloween Night" (1999), an instantly forgettable sequel to an equally forgettable early 90s direct-to-video flick about a killer wooden dummy (?) named "Morty."

Seriously, if you're trying to create a new horror icon, why would you name it "Morty?"

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2013, 06:47:01 AM »

The Mummy (1959) - Hammer version of the classic tale.  Peter Cushing and some other archeologists dig up a tomb in Egypt, and of course the Mummy (Christopher Lee) comes to life and attacks one of them, driving him insane.  So they all go back to England.  Unfortunately an Egyptian guy who still follows the ancient religion is a bit ticked about the tomb being desecrated, and he heads over to England with Mummy in tow to take his revenge.  One of my favorites, Cushing puts in a good performance and the plot moves along well and is nice and suspenseful.  Very good performance from George Pastell as the Egyptian, Mehemet Bey, which added a lot to the movie.  4.5/5.

The Brides of Dracula (1960) - a naive girl is traveling through Transylvania on her way to a teaching assignment.  She's taken in by an old woman in a castle who has a son she keeps locked up in a set of rooms.  Our well-meaning girl releases him - bad news for the local population as he's a vampire.  So she goes on to the next town where she works as a teacher and meanwhile Van Helsing (Peter Cushing) shows up to deal with the problems dingbat has created.  Even though the girl has only had one short conversation with the vampire, when he comes to visit her again she immediately agrees to marry him.  Sign her up for the next season of Who Wants To Marry A Millionaire I guess  Lookingup  Anyhow you've got Peter Cushing on the job so chances are everything will turn out okay in the end.  I'm kind of making fun of this movie but it's pretty good actually.  Plenty of Gothic atmosphere and lush colors, and the secondary characters in this were really entertaining as well .  4/5.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:30:37 AM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2013, 09:51:05 AM »

V/H/S (2012): Four hooligans are hired to break in and retrieve a VHS tape from an old house; when they get there they watch tapes with short POV horror stories. The episodes range from very bad (a Skype session on VHS?) to not bad (Halloween partiers walk into the wrong house), but there is a douchey frat boy vibe to many of the segments that won't sit well with older, smarter folks. A generous 2.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2013, 07:04:35 AM »

The Curse of the Werewolf (1961) - a beggar is thrown in the dungeon by an evil count and left to rot down there for the rest of his life.  Eventually a mute servant girl is also tossed in the dungeon, for spurning the count's advances, and she's raped by the old beggar.  She escapes and gives birth to a little werewolf boy, and we see him as a child as his adopted parents learn to deal with his little problem.  Kind of a different way of doing a movie as the werewolf doesn't even appear until late in the film, but the whole beginning was very good so that's cool.  Eventually our guy grows up, moves out and of course has a few problems when the moon is full.  This is set in Spain which gives it a nice and somewhat different atmosphere.  Good characters, decent story, quite an enjoyable time overall.  4/5.

Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968) - Dracula (Christopher Lee) was killed at the end of the previous movie, but of course you can't keep a good vampire down and so he's up and about in no time.  Really cool intro with a Monsignor going up to his castle and performing an exorcism in order to get the local villagers to believe that they're out of danger.  So ol' Drac is pretty darned P.O.'s about the whole affair and decides to bite a member of the monsignor's household.  The girl is in love with a local guy and together they try to deal with all this nasty stuff going on.  This is an old favorite of mine, full of great characters and excellent atmosphere.  There are plenty of MST3K-worthy coincidences in it, like a priest falling down a hill and laying unconscious and bleeding - right over Dracula's mouth.  Or a cross falling and getting stuck in the ground -  and guess who falls right on top of that?  Another thing I couldn't figure out is that Drac's castle can only be reached by climbing up a mountain - there's no road or anything.  How in the heck did they get the building materials up there? TeddyR  It's all good cheesy fun though. 4.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2013, 08:46:37 AM »

10.14.13 (19)

Monsteroid (1980) (DVD)

Watchability: 1/5
Energy drain: 5/5

Chemical factory in Colombia pollutes lake creating man-eating creature. John Carradine shows up as a Priest and burns a witch on a stake. A b***hy reporter films everything and some guys blow up the beast. Based on true story.
This was dull and dreadful viewing and made The Spawn of Slithis (1978) look good.
claws
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »

10.15.13 (20)

My Soul to Take (2010) (Blu-ray)

Hrm. I actually enjoyed this more on my first viewing two years ago. Craven is trying his hand at Psychological Horror while resurrecting the spirits of Scream and Shocker.
The outcome is rather messy, and when all logic fails I guess the audience is supposed to fill in the gaps with the Psychological angle of the story. It works for David Lynch, but not here.
Disappointing villain, one dimensional characters, fake-ish CGI blood and silly shenanigans. On the upside this was stylishly shot (love the 1990s vibe) with effective jump scares and great atmosphere. 3.5/5
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.