Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:47:29 AM
713393 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19
Author Topic: October Horror Movie Massacre!!!  (Read 125580 times)
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2013, 08:05:12 PM »

I just watched The Return of the Vampire (1944).  I've never seen it before but somebody suggested it to me.  It stars Bela Lugosi as not-Dracula, and give him a Reinfeild like werewolf servant.  The movie easily stands along side the Universal classics.  However there are a few oddities that stand out.  Having the World War II bombings take place and be plot points in the movie gives it more of a dated feel than most of the other similiar movies and the werewolf isn't your typical wolfman either. 

Sure he looks like a typical wolfman, but there's no mention of the full moon at all.  He's just a werewolf every night.  He also seems to retain his intelligence and ability to speak.  I really don't have a problem with this, but he was also almost over powered by two regular men at one point and was shot by non-silver bullets that seemed to do quite some damage.  It just makes him come across as a bit weak. 

Still, the atmosphere is great and Bela is as always, perfect int he role of the vampire. 
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2013, 09:58:11 PM »

Movie #20

Kill List (2011)

The set up of this make it seem like your typical crime thriller but this is truly a horror movie through and through. We are introduced to a struggling British family. The husband hasn't worked in 8 months and his wife is at the end of her rope. They have a young boy but this does not stop them from arguing incessantly. An old friend visits with news of a job offer. Three people to kill with a huge payout.

This is a really disturbing film. From the outset there is a thick atmosphere of dread that only intensifies as the movie continues. At times I didn't understand exactly what was going on due to the thick accents and strange plotting but it only added to the experience. Mark Kermode liked it too and his review is better than mine.
Small | Large
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2013, 03:54:55 AM »

I watched the much-hated Episode 50. It was pretty much a generic Grave Encounters/Paranormal Activity movie archetype. Minor differences, but other than the third act, quite generic.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2013, 06:53:51 AM »

#3 Forbidden World.  Saw this ages ago, barely remembered.  Entertaining alien ripoff from Roger Corman's people.  Has one of the most gratuitous nude scenes I've ever seen.  Worth a watch.

It's funny because I was watching some of the special features on the Alien Blu ray set and Roger Corman originally agreed to finance the movie lol.  Thankfully they got more money from somebody else.

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1973) - a young surgeon is following in Dr. Frankenstein's footsteps, and is arrested for wizardry and sent, coincidentally, to the same insane asylum as the good doctor.  Turns out Frankenstein (Peter Cushing) is up to his old tricks and creating another monster.  These things always turn out so well in the end, don't they?  Smile  Pretty cool monster in this one, sort of like an ape man;  unfortunately he doesn't really do much, and when he does get a bit rambunctious he's brought back under control fairly easily.  I dunno, the whole idea that creating a living being from lifeless parts had kind of lost its scary supernatural luster at this point.  Still good though.  3.5/5.

The Omen (1976) - the US ambassador to the UK (Gregory Peck) and his wife (Lee Remick) adopt a baby.  Due to some mix-up at the hospital they're sent home with the antichrist.  Still he seems better behaved than the average 5 year old you typically see at Walmart.  Anyhow, much drama follows.  The first hour of this was pretty slow;  it's got some memorable scenes but I remembered them from the last time I saw this, and other than that it's just the characters finding out things that the audience already knows.  It picks up nicely in the second half though when Peck's character realizes what's going on and starts to investigate.  4/5.

We watched about three-quarters of part 2 last night and will probably finish that up tonight.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2013, 10:38:59 AM »

10.17.13 (22)

Fallen (1998) (Blu-ray)

Detective is stalked by an ancient evil being who's spirit can enter human bodies (and animals) by touch. Smart and nearly flawless supernatural thriller. This is a slow burner but offers quite a few chilling moments and jump scares. 4.5/5
claws
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2013, 03:26:22 AM »

10.18.13 (23)

The Strangers (Unrated) (2008) (Blu-ray)

Young couple with lover's spat spent the remaining night in a family-owned rural vacation cabin after attending a wedding. Shortly after arrival the young couple are terrorized by three strangers wearing masks...
Instant scary-classic in my opinion, filled to the brim with creepy atmosphere. Even though the makers claim their film was inspired by the Sharon Tate/Manson murders, I can see how some folks came to the conclusion that The Strangers was based on the infamous and brutal Keddie Murders.
Either way, I'm happy I finally bought this on Blu-ray. It was on my to-buy Blu list for years, but for slacking reasons I never got around purchasing it sooner. 5/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2013, 06:53:58 AM »

Damien: Omen II (1978) - Damien's now a teenager, living with his uncle and enrolled in a military academy.  Anyone who suspects him of being the antichrist dies in some bizarre fashion.  My favorite was a guy in an elevator, and the thing falls and falls but then stops on the 3rd floor.  Whew, lived through that!  Nope, there's two counterweights up at the top and they come plummeting down, with a steel cable stretched in between them.  That's gonna be messy.  It almost gets a bit silly as this happens again and again to anyone who looks at Damien the wrong way.  Eventually his uncle figures out that something's a bit odd with this kid and sets out to destroy him.  Instead of a climax we just get a setup for the sequel.  Still pretty good;  a lot more happens in this one than the first, though the scary scenes aren't quite as effective.  4/5.

Omen III: The Final Conflict (1981) - Damien's all grown up and played by Sam Neill this time.  He's inherited his uncle's business and turned it into the world's biggest conglomerate.  He's all set to start taking over the world but unfortunately the second coming of Christ is coming up.  We even get some astronomers tracking some stars that will align at a certain time and mark his birth.  This started out really good with Neill doing a good job as the antichrist and a nice intriguing plot and all, but after an hour the whole thing just stopped dead in its tracks.  Damien's got a girlfriend and her son is under Satan's spell and will she figure out that Damien is bad?  That wouldn't be too bad (well actually it would because it drags the entire movie to a halt...and it's boring as hell) but we've seen this exact same scenario fifteen times in this trilogy already.  And you're putting the whole fate-of-the-world plot line on the back burner so we can sit through this incredibly dull romance?   Lookingup  So eventually we get the big showdown between good and evil - God vs. Satan - oh boy this is gonna be good.  Yeah...a light shines down from the sky and the credits roll.  You gotta be kidding me.  It was beautifully photographed and the soundtrack was really good too.  There was a fox hunt early in the movie that was about the most epic fox hunt I've ever seen.  Ten times more epic than the climax unfortunately.  3/5.

Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959) - watched the colorized version on Blu ray.  It's cheesy looking like most other colorized stuff.  Favorite part was when Eros is having a fight with one of the earthlings and after it's over, his face is bright green for a few seconds  BounceGiggle  It looks like they used a pretty crummy old print and I'm sure they cleaned it up and it looks much nicer than it did originally, but it's still far from great.  There are vertical scratches in some parts and in dark scenes it'll be really dark on one side of the picture and fairly light in another part.  The colorization really highlights Wood's incredibly cheap sets, which are mostly a few bushes in front of a black curtain.  It's always amusing to see a camera shot of one guy, outside in broad daylight, and the next shot is of a guy at night in front of the black curtain lol.  Fun time though, 3.5/5.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 07:11:18 AM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2013, 07:35:16 AM »

Watched "C.H.U.D." on Netflix last night for what's gotta be the dozenth time. Still a hoot.

I used to own the old Media Home Entertainment VHS version of the flick with the "diner" scene (with John Goodman and Jay Thomas) at the end of the movie.

This was the first time I'd seen the flick with that scene inserted back into the middle of the movie, which was where the director intended it to go. As I understand it, the studio wanted the diner scene @ the end to set up the inevitable sequel.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »

Terror Firmer ( cheers JayJayM12 )
Body Bags
Bucket Of Blood
The Gore Gore Girls.

fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2013, 12:19:38 AM »

Movie # 21

Terror Tract (2000)
Obscure anthology film in which John Ritter shows a couple some homes for sale. Turns out Ritter is a terrible real estate agent as instead of telling the couple the virtues of the home he instead relegates them with horror stories of what happened to the past owners. The first story isn't very good and neither is the third really. But I still liked it because the middle segment steals the show. It's an epic "monkey shines" style showdown between Bryan Cranston (!) and a monkey his daughter befriends. To see Cranston wielding a shotgun against this beast is worth the price of admission alone. Add to that a completely insane ending and I would say this is worth a watch on youtube (as i watched it)
Small | Large

This is the second appearance of John Ritter in my horror marathon (he was also in Bride of Chucky) I decided to check out what he was up to during this time period and I came across this...
Small | Large
claws
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2013, 01:54:36 AM »

10.19.13 (25)

Breeders (1986) (DVD)

Watchability: 5/5
Energy drain: 0/5

Doctor at Hospital in Manhattan is concerned: young women who appear to be brutalized are brought in for recovery. Doctor teams up with an investigating Detective and soon finds out that evil aliens are trying to impregnate women of earth in order to take over earth!
Trashy sci-fi Z-film with awful but cool gore and practical effects, lots of gratuitous nudity and bad but fun acting.

Nightmare Weekend (1986) (DVD)

Watchability: 5/5
Energy drain: 1/5

Three high school students take part in an behavior-experiment conducted by a b***hy lady who is abusing the powerful computer of her rich employer at his mansion.
The slutty girls forcefully swallow silver spheres which were transformed by the computer from their personal belongings, turning the students into slutty zombified maniacs. This all didn't make a lick of sense but who cares? Nightmare Weekend is like a train wreck, one can't stop watching. A personal favorite bad movie for sure
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2013, 06:52:03 AM »

The Giant Gila Monster (1959) - so there's this lizard wandering around on some miniature sets - they poured some pink paint on top of him to make him look more ferocious.  Meanwhile there's this guy named Chase.  Chase is the nicest, most friendly, polite, helpful, selfless individual you could possibly imagine.  When people start disappearing, Chase does the sheriff's entire job for him.  When the kids have a big dance, it's Chase who gets the hottest DJ in all the land to come and play music for them.  When Chase's little sister, who's got MS, needs leg braces, it's Chase who spends every cent he has to buy them for her.  And when she falls down in her valiant attempt to walk, it's Chase who sings about nine verses of "Laugh Children Laugh" to cheer her up (and teach us all the importance of laughter!).  Oh and when that nasty ol' gila monster needs blowing up, guess who's got the nitro glycerin to do the job?  Yup, it's Chase.

Small | Large

^ So you may suffer as I did.  

This actually was kind of fun in spots, when it was dealing with, well...anything other than what a super duper guy Chase was.  2.5/5, maybe 3/5 if you FF through Chase's singing.

Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966) - some people go to a castle and as one might guess, Dracula (Christopher Lee) awakens and has a little nibble.  They flee to a nearby monastery where a wizened old monk (Andrew Keir) helps them formulate a plan to combat the forces of darkness.  This was pretty good though not one of my favorites.  The plot was pretty bare bones and the characters never rose above your basic archetypes:  scared woman who didn't want to go to Dracula's castle, confident guy who thought her fears were silly, etc.  The Blu ray looked great, it didn't have the sort of extreme detail as today's movies but they cleaned up the print to near perfection and the colors were bright and vibrant without ever being obnoxious.  Pretty decent watch overall.  3.5/5.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:55:51 AM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2013, 09:20:42 AM »

Movie # 22
Cherry Falls (2000)

Forgotten post Scream entry in the slasher genre in which the people getting killed are virgins. Turning the tables on the typical slasher rule (have sex and die) virginal teenagers are dying off and it's up to the local sheriff's department to deal with the situation. The teenagers react to this news by arranging a big orgy but will it be too late...

This is an odd little film that got torn apart big time by the MPAA and never ended up in US theaters because of it. It's kind of a shame because you can tell there was more potential here. All of the violence is cut awkwardly now and there are weird incesty subplots that go nowhere. Brittany Murphy is our lead final girl and puts in a fine performance, very sad she died so young. Instead of the meta humor of scream this is more of a sex comedy and there are definitely some funny parts. Overall though you really feel the cuts in the version I saw (below) and it feels disjointed and incomplete. Was still pretty enjoyable overall though.
Small | Large
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2013, 01:10:56 PM »

Movie # 23
Campfire Tales (1997)

Horrible Anthology in which some teenagers sit around the fire and tell some stories to pass the time. Too bad all of the stories are all crap. This feels like worst episode of Are you afraid of the Dark ever stretched out to 80 minutes. Many of the actors here have gone on to successful careers but its no thanks to this crapthology. I'd rather watch Terror Tract 500 times in a row than watch this again.

Small | Large

fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2013, 09:38:55 PM »

Movie # 24
Demons 6 aka The Black Cat

This is definitely the strangest movie I have come across in this marathon. Directed by Luigi Cozzi this was originally intended to be the conclusion of Argento's Three Mothers trilogy. Cozzi had worked on several Argento projects as a writer and 2nd unit director before and his influence is very clear in the lighting of some of these scenes. Suspira is actually mentioned early on and a characters states that 100's of movies could be made from the plot, that is how genius that movie is! It was titled The Black Cat to tie in with Edgar Allan Poe but also somehow ended up being titled a "Demons" sequel (which like Fulci's "Zombie" has endless unrelated films listed as follow ups)

So what is the end result? A big ol mess in what has to be the most incoherent of all the italian genre films of I have seen (which is a lot, and if you know anything about Italian Horror films even the best are at least mostly ridiculous). What little plot there is involves the making of a sequel to Suspira which for some reason angers a witch... Sorry I would go on but I really have no clue what was happening at any point here and as I write I am watching the last 10 minutes. Cozzi has some understanding of the lighting that goes into a classic Ital Horror film but his camera movement and editing are rather atrocious. The main appeal of this film is it's obscurity (never released on dvd to my knowledge) and it's bizarre connection to the Argento mythos.
Small | Large

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.